Sound at Palmer

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
dcareri
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Sound at Palmer

Post by dcareri » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Does anyone know where they take sound level readings at the track in Palmer?

jeffw

Re: Sound at Palmer

Post by jeffw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm

They move around.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

dcareri
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by dcareri » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am

Bummer. That makes it a bit difficult to choose which exhaust to put on... right or left side exit.

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:19 am

Put on one that follows the rules. Just making it difficult on the track owners and fellow racers by trying to "beat the system".
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 am

I still have a bunch of Supertrapp end caps and difuser discs in various diameters available.
Fastrack Peabody, MA. 978-977-0707
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

djsteviec
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by djsteviec » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah, like John said. Just have the right sound. Some people in town are trying very hard to get the track shutdown, so more quiet and a little less HP- but hopefully we keep an awesome track open! :D
Steve Cohen- AKA- Baller, DJ STEVIE C.

#204 1987 Honda CR-X Si- T30
1989 Celica GT-S (coming back soon)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:51 am

Funny thing..when I made my cars quieter..I picked up HP and torque! 8) :sunny:

If the only weapon the track haters have is excessive noise..all we have to do is take that weapon away from them by putting a little effort into making our rides as quiet as reasonably possible. Mufflers are not expensive and you really don't have to give up anything to achieve good results.

Leave "loud and proud" to the Harley riders... :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

RPM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by RPM » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:29 am

djsteviec wrote:Yeah, like John said. Just have the right sound. Some people in town are trying very hard to get the track shutdown, so more quiet and a little less HP- but hopefully we keep an awesome track open! :D
Correct if we don't hear the track we don't have an issue, it isn't that we hate the track. It is the fact that the track has disrupted our quality of life with the loud noise from the cars running.

Remember the track moved into the area with existing residences and has announced it's presence at each and every event it holds. It is built on top of a mountain the sound travels thru the valley depending on the weather and effect multiple towns in and numerous residents.

If we don't hear you the issues go away....

zchris
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by zchris » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Sound is a funny thing. I ran at Mid-O, Watkins Glen, NJMP and Pittsburg Int this year and was never over 97dB. At Palmer Fred said I was way over the limit. When Pittsburg/Beaverrun first opened, sound was a big problem. Lots of people complained. Same thing happened at NJMP in its first few years of operation. One thing is for sure, people do not like change. So the question is, does the benefit of the tracks business outweigh the sound nuisance, become the reason people stop complaining. With time, as with any background noise, I guess, the locals no longer are bothered enough to persue complaining. I noticed when I woke up this morning, that the sound of cars and trucks on rt16 was pretty loud. Normally I don't notice it. But this thread had me thinking. Here in the Northeast, we have an especially low tolerance, well, for anything. The NIMBY's are everywhere. Its a bummer for me as the cost of making my car compliant for Palmer in time and money, for now, is to high. I'm sure Palmer will survive just fine without me. Maybe Fred will let me do laps in my pickup. :D

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Palmer track is actually mostly in a well high on the hill, like being in a volcano depression so it calculated to have very good noise properties when the SCCA did its studies while creating the track and getting permits. I understand that Fred has been doing actual sound measurements over the last few months as required be Mass. DEP. Funny that the houses near the track entrance don't complain about the gun range that is much closer to them and has been there for many years. None of them showed up during hearings before the track was built.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

RPM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by RPM » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Sure we did go to the meetings, you also have to remember this effects multiple communities and the track is very loud. It echos through out the valley and residents in Ware and Warren where you would never think the track could be heard is in fact being heard.

I highly doubt anyone of the individuals whom run on a track would want to live next door to one, and you guy's like to keep bringing up the gun club....it is very rarely active so no it isn't an issue. Bottom line have some respect for those whom were here before the track and invested there life savings into the American dream. As for revenue how much revenue do you think the residents effected are receiving from this endeavor? $0.00 So with you thought process we are all expendable so some local businesses can prosper.....Run OEM mufflers problem solved.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Every event I have attended at Whiskey Hill this year (about 20!) the management have been actively monitoring sound, and those breaking the sound limits have been asked to fix it or leave.Period. Yes,it has kept some competitors away..but there really has been an honest effort by the track owners to keep the noise levels down.If the choice is making excessive noise vs. not having Whiskey Hill..I am all for having noise levels enforced.
Whiskey Hill is much too nice to lose over something that can be managed! A well designed exhaust system does not have to be loud. Yes,it will cost more than having nothing...but what good is a noisy car you can't drive everywhere :?
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:38 pm

". . . how much revenue do you think the residents effected are receiving from this endeavor?"

How much do you think the track pays in property taxes each year? Would this income to the towns help maintain a lower tax rate?
Last edited by Mark Swinehart on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:20 pm

I really hope the track & town(s) can work out something that makes everyone happy.
I haven't run at the track yet and hope to next season.

Paul G.
Paul G.

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:20 am

I truly believe that there will never be 100% happiness regarding the noise level issue facing Palmer. That being said, I think it is our responsibility as racers to comply with the rules set forth by each track we run at. Period. If there is a dB level that your car does not meet either modify you car to meet the requirements or don't race. Pretty simple. The whole reduction of power if I change my exhaust is crap. Done properly a conforming exhaust will make the same power as a louder system. It doesn't take too many bad apples to ruin the whole bunch. It would be very sad to lose an amazing track due to a few assholes who can't get their shit together.
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB