3 hrs of seat time at Whiskey Hill on May 23rd.

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

3 hrs of seat time at Whiskey Hill on May 23rd.

Post by breakaway500 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 am

Four 30 minute sessions and then open track at 3:00 for an hr.. Wow. :shock: As much as I wanted to keep going..I had to stop at 4. My forearms were sore..my butt ached and my shoulders could no longer turn the wheel. My eyes were red and my throat was dry. What a day. Thanks BIG TIME to COM (and Fred Ferguson and co.) for organizing this event. I learned a LOT of new lines and was very grateful to be running with other COM members who I have learned from in the past and this Saturday event was no exception. Following Mick,Gordon, Dave W,Jeff W, made me try lines I never would have considered and I believe it is this exercise alone that teaches me the most,so I may pass it on to our students. Running around all by myself is enjoyable,but watching others run the same corner at the same time..is invaluable to becoming faster. :wink:

Thanks again to COM for this great opportunity and I am looking forword to June 6th and 7th with COM at Whiskey Hill Raceway,the Matterhorn ride of New England!

And talk about a diverse range of cars..there was a stock Ford Model A and a 2015 black 599 Ferrari on track. (The Ferrari guy actually made himself sick. True.)

While I was packing up to leave Mick was still out there lapping almost by himself, and looked faster into turn 1 every time by. 8) :D :sunny: :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

jeffw

Re: 3 hrs of seat time at Whiskey Hill on May 23rd.

Post by jeffw » Mon May 25, 2015 10:52 am

I had a blast and learned a lot! I was also there Sunday with Audi and it was purely open track with only about 15 people. Plenty of miles this weekend!
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon May 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Here's a vid of my quickest lap of the day. Only notable because it's the one lap where I got into the 45's. Looking back at it there's a lot I'd clean up.
I have another video from when you me and Dave were screwing around. I'll try and upload that one tonight.

phpBB [video]

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Looks like you modified your line through 8 since the last time I was behind you.Seems a bit earlier on turn in and less braking. I tried your line through 1 and really liked it as I could carry more speed through the apex which is right about at pit out.. :shock: I wish my videos would come out better..I need to work on my gadgetry skills... among others.. :lol: :sunny:

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 pm

awesome. I am bummed that my family kept me away. What was the condition of the paddock? Very rocky and dusty? Facilities-- water, electricity, food.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon May 25, 2015 9:29 pm

breakaway500 wrote:Looks like you modified your line through 8 since the last time I was behind you.Seems a bit earlier on turn in and less braking. I tried your line through 1 and really liked it as I could carry more speed through the apex which is right about at pit out.. :shock: I wish my videos would come out better..I need to work on my gadgetry skills... among others.. :lol: :sunny:
That apex at 1 is fun if you happen by as a car is exiting the pit.
I did try an earlier entry into 8 and it seemed to work. On this lap I failed to get the car in to the pocket though, so I couldn't hold the inside line.

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 pm

brucesallen wrote:awesome. I am bummed that my family kept me away. What was the condition of the paddock? Very rocky and dusty? Facilities-- water, electricity, food.
No water (other than in the fancy porta-potty), no electricity other than in the classroom (powered by a big diesel generator). There was a vendor for lunch but I brought food. I understand it's $10 for a good box lunch.
Jeff Wasilko

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon May 25, 2015 9:40 pm

brucesallen wrote:awesome. I am bummed that my family kept me away. What was the condition of the paddock? Very rocky and dusty? Facilities-- water, electricity, food.
Yes, the paddock was dirt and very dusty.
http://i.imgur.com/k6gWBOL.jpg

The whole place is very dusty. When you get behind someone you're driving in a plume of dust. You'll want to show up with a clean air filter and plan on changing it when you're done. They had just planted grass seed all around the track which should help once it comes in.

No facilities, no water (that I knew of). Just a temporary office building and some porta potties.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Much less dust than on the 8th..I believe they are using calcium chloride in the paddock area (no hottop) and they hydroseeded the shoulders of the track. Electricity should be on by the first week of June (according to Charlie the track manager) and food was brought in from a local eatery ($10 box) and seemed to be enjoyed.No permanent buildings yet.. Not sure about water..there is a running stream...and some settling ponds.. :lol: :sunny:

Damn..last again... :lol: :lol: :lol: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
Last edited by breakaway500 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Mon May 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Mick wrote:Here's a vid of my quickest lap of the day. Only notable because it's the one lap where I got into the 45's. Looking back at it there's a lot I'd clean up.
I have another video from when you me and Dave were screwing around. I'll try and upload that one tonight.

phpBB [video]
Dude, that's hauling.
Jeff Wasilko

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 pm

jeffw wrote:
Mick wrote:Here's a vid of my quickest lap of the day. Only notable because it's the one lap where I got into the 45's. Looking back at it there's a lot I'd clean up.

phpBB [video]
Dude, that's hauling.
Thanks, You too. I knew I was on a flyer so when I saw I was going to catch someone I thought the lap was blown. Was pleasantly surprised by how hard you were to catch considering there are 20 points between our cars.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Here's a longer session from earlier in the day.
phpBB [video]

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:08 am

Mick,thanks for the look.. :shock: ...invaluable to me. I was having a hard time keeping my car under me through 1-5,especially 5. For some reason,I kept trying the wide looping entry into 5 only to have the car become loose. The next session I tried your tight line and although it "felt" slower..the car stayed under me and the exit speed was greater. Now if only I could master your smoothness... :wink: :sunny:

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Tue May 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Awesome videos guys and I'm totally jealous about the open track time... Glad to see Palmer coming along! Can't wait to run it! :D
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Should we worry about calcium chloride causing corrosion?
Rebecca