Salvage Inspections

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Salvage Inspections

Post by modifiede30 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Anyone gone through a salvage inspection in MA. I have my car ready and everything documented, but am curious if the inspection is going to look at every detail of the car or if they're mainly concerned with stolen parts. I ask because the car is intended to be a track car, so it is intentionally lacking some interior items that would ordinarily be in the car stock. I'd hate to have to put them back simply to pass inspection and then rip them all back out again.
1998 M Roadster - T70

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Salvage Inspections

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 pm

you need the original insurance appraisal and repair orders that show all the repairs needed on the appraisal were done. The state police inspector will be more concerned with the paper work then the car but will look at and check numbers on the car. Good luck they can be very picky.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Unless you are going to register it, I wouldn't bother. It's more trouble than it's worth. The state police will want to see receipts for everything "different" in the car and if the numbers on the drive train match and will probably require you to title it. The state will then tax you on everything that you cannot prove you paid sales tax on. Go to some of the kit car forums (FFCars.com) and search for MA inspections. It's not fun. If it's just going to be a track car, leave it at that (and keep all your receipts for when you sell it)
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by modifiede30 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 pm

I want to title/register the car - its a track car, but its also street legal. I don't particularly want to buy a tow truck and trailer yet. I have all receipts from the items I've purchased including those with VINs that don't match the original car. I have copies of receipts for everything purchased that doesn't have a VIN as as (seats, etc.).

It can't hurt to take it in and see if it passes - if they reject it for a few missing items, I'll get the receipts. If not, I'm good to go. Doesn't sound too hard as long as I have my documentation in order.
1998 M Roadster - T70

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 am

^ The inspectors will use the original insurance damage appraisal as a guide to determine if you have repaired/replaced everything according to that document.If you do not have that document,you will be rejected. They will require proof of purchase on every item.Every single item.Donor VINS will be required on all major item replaced and any air bags.If the damage appraisal says replace the item,you cannot 'fix" it.You must replace it. I once cleaned a carpet instead of replacing it,and was rejected. The inspectors do not care about the quality of the repairs,only that you replaced or repaired every item on the damage appraisal.or you will be rejected. The inspectors are ruthless and care not that you waited in line for 4 hrs (even though you arrived 4 hrs before the inspections start)
Make sure if you use a repair plate or dealer plate to drive the salvage car to the inspection site that you are the owner of that plate,or a legal employee of the business that the plate is registered to,(and be willing to prove it) or they will reject you,and have your salvage car towed and dealer/repair plate confiscated. Yes, I have seen it done.More than once. If you transport the salvage vehicle to the site by trailer,make sure the trailer and tow vehicle are 110% legally registered and inspected,or they will reject you etc etc. I stopped doing salvage reinspections years ago mainly because of the abuse one must endure from the inspectors. They seem to go out of their way to find some reason to reject every person they can.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by modifiede30 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:16 pm

breakaway500 wrote:^ The inspectors will use the original insurance damage appraisal as a guide to determine if you have repaired/replaced everything according to that document.If you do not have that document,you will be rejected. They will require proof of purchase on every item.Every single item.Donor VINS will be required on all major item replaced and any air bags.If the damage appraisal says replace the item,you cannot 'fix" it.You must replace it. I once cleaned a carpet instead of replacing it,and was rejected. The inspectors do not care about the quality of the repairs,only that you replaced or repaired every item on the damage appraisal.or you will be rejected. The inspectors are ruthless and care not that you waited in line for 4 hrs (even though you arrived 4 hrs before the inspections start)
Make sure if you use a repair plate or dealer plate to drive the salvage car to the inspection site that you are the owner of that plate,or a legal employee of the business that the plate is registered to,(and be willing to prove it) or they will reject you,and have your salvage car towed and dealer/repair plate confiscated. Yes, I have seen it done.More than once. If you transport the salvage vehicle to the site by trailer,make sure the trailer and tow vehicle are 110% legally registered and inspected,or they will reject you etc etc. I stopped doing salvage reinspections years ago mainly because of the abuse one must endure from the inspectors. They seem to go out of their way to find some reason to reject every person they can.
Where did you have your inspections done - I won't be going to that site!
1998 M Roadster - T70

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Northboro. Some days were fine,if you got a regular..but the inspecting officers can rotate to other locations, or be on vacation, so you may get a fill in. I think some officers consider salvage inspection duty as punishment...and act accordingly. Some of the things I saw done were not just to me. I have seen 5 people in front of the line leave, once they saw who was doing the inspections that day... :shock:

modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by modifiede30 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:53 pm

What if I just bought a crappy bmw z3 that has a clear title, and use that for registration - maybe swap over the dash and dump the rest to recoup the funds? I have both titles, that is looking like a feasible option. I could just claim its been painted right?
1998 M Roadster - T70

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:45 am

Be very very careful when dealing with VINs as altering them (swapping etc) is a felony. VINs appear on various places on a vehicle and although all of them are not readily visible,they are still there..

modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by modifiede30 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 pm

I wouldn't be altering VINs, but if I have 2 chassis, and one is salvage and one's not, I'm assuming if enough is moved from one chassis to the other, it would be legitimate to register the one that's non-salvage. Guess it is more a matter of figuring out when one chassis is the donor, and one the recipient for registration purposes. My old BMW e30 was probably only 50% original based on all the changes to various components, including engine and many body panels. Not sure this would be any different.
1998 M Roadster - T70

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:10 am

Most BMWs have the VIN on the right front shock tower. Good luck altering that.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Make an appointment to go through the paperwork with the inspector ahead of time and ask questions.

I had to do this 15 years ago to get a factory five cobra inspected and my inspection was nothing compared to salvage inspections. I was under the impression that repairers had to have some kind of license, but I don't know for sure. Kit cars were easier then as it was a new thing. Now, the kit forums tell you which stations to avoid. Back then, state police officers who has screwed up were assigned to do these inspections, so they were always pissed off.

good luck

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:48 am

"Make an appointment to go through the paperwork with the inspector ahead of time and ask questions." You cannot make an appointment for salvage inspection. it is first come,first served only.