Palmer

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Palmer

Post by Stynger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Some COM board members drove on the new Palmer track this weekend.
IMO the track is going to be great!
I'll let others pipe in with their thoughts, but we are very lucky to have this track in our back yard. 8)
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

zchris
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Palmer

Post by zchris » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 pm

For those that have not seen this link

The video does not do the elevation changes justice. This is going to be Americas rollercoaster track. Some great banking in several corners. If your not going up, you on your way down. And almost always in a turn to some degree. Its gonna be a gas to drive. I walked it when I was there and was impressed how well its coming out. It still has alot of finish work. I have faith Fred will have this whipped into shape come spring time. There is so much to learn on this track it will take time to be fast. Its beeen a long time coming, but Freds almost got it there.
Chris

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm

A couple of videos from today's visit:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:32 am

Great progress since I was there in June where a truck was needed just to get up the unpaved access road.
Last edited by CP on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:34 am

Here's the view from Turn 7, looking down on turn 10 with turn 1 in the distance. map
This gives a little perspective on the elevation but still doesn't do it justice.
phpBB [video]

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:49 am

Interesting they chose to lay out the track counterclockwise as most road courses are run CW (WG,Mt.Tremblant,Sonoma,Road Atlanta,Road America,Mid Ohio,Mosport,Calabogie) Not that it makes any real difference..just an observation. Looks to be a LOT of fun..I think I can see my house in some of those shots... :D :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:10 am

Mark we ran the track in both directions. It was laid out to run counter clockwise but Fred says they might run it in both directions. I like the clockwise direction better except for one section where i kept feeling I should be turning back onto a section of the track I just can up (Turn12-13)
Cy you still new a pickup for the access road. My Lotus would not be able to drive in. I took my truck but did the track with Bruce Allen in his Corvette.
Track is fantastic :!: :!: :!: I never thought it would be built especially in Mass. Great work Fred :!: :!: :!:
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:05 am

Dan: I actually drove up it (and over three temporary bridges) in my lowered S4 not knowing that the small house was home base and made it up to the dustbowl that was T1/2. It was an adventure for sure but I don't think I bottomed it out. Slow and steady.

Running counter- and clockwise would be great if the proper safety precautions and curbing can be installed with appropriate (different) flag station locations for both directions. It would be like having two completely different tracks at one facility. Kudos to Fred for bringing this to life!
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

djsteviec
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by djsteviec » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:10 am

Mick wrote:Here's the view from Turn 7, looking down on turn 10 with turn 1 in the distance. map
This gives a little perspective on the elevation but still doesn't do it justice.
phpBB [video]
WOW! You can really see the elevations with that quick pan, it looks awesome! :D

And even better- It is only about 1hr from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Steve Cohen- AKA- Baller, DJ STEVIE C.

#204 1987 Honda CR-X Si- T30
1989 Celica GT-S (coming back soon)

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 am

A luke-warm lap with data overlay with Nick F. at the helm. Check out the elevation changes :shock:

phpBB [video]
-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Very challenging and exciting track to drive. No autocross-type turns. Blind corners. Decreasing radius corners. Corkscrew. It will take me a long time to master. Completely different track when driven clockwise. More scary downhill. Sam, check your brake pads!
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 pm

So will we call events there "Palmer" and "Remlap"?

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 am

That looks like too much fun, Laura and I cannot wait till we get to try it out...
Bob Cairns

subsonic
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by subsonic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 am

Been a long time since I posted here on COM forums. Miss you guys.

Palmer looks great but am wondering about safety of the track for motorcycles (not to mention cars too). I can imagine a rider cartwheeling down and towards those rocks. Anyone have input about any measures taken for bikes, will bikes even be allowed to run on the track? The general feeling is that if they are allowed, "There will be bikes hanging in some of those trees by mid-summer.

Paul Teasdale
#217 SPB

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:26 am

No matter how "safe" you make something,someone will always find a way to get hurt. Palmer is all about risk and reward. The risk is greater than many tracks,but the reward is being able to drive on a track like nowhere else I have ever seen,anywhere in the world. I was able to drive Palmer at a good pace recently and it truly is driving Nirvana! Once you drive it,you will understand. We are truly blessed to have this facility available for our use.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"