Enclosed trailer wisdom?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Enclosed trailer wisdom?

Post by RyanC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Greetings from the Sandiest of Clams!

The Clam family is in the market for an enclosed trailer. Does that mean the Civic will be back on track? Of course not, but if it does show up I am sure something will break, requiring a trailer to get back home... that being said, I've only ever had open trailers before so I'm looking for some guidance.

For track days, the likely baggage for the trailer will be my 4g Civic hatch; it's all of 13ft long and 2100lbs. On occasion, I may tow (if and when the Civic is broken, assuming it ever gets unbroken) the M3, which is 15ft long and about 3600lbs.

If I am going to stuff all my crap in the trailer along with the car (tires, tool box, jack, etc), how much extra length should I plan for? There seem to be some good options on 18ft length Wells Cargo at the local dealer, but another guy has some 20ft ATC trailers that are a bit lighter and have some extra space.

With a 7700lb towing capacity on the SUV, I think the M3 is going to push the weight limit on a steel trailer as they seem to weigh 3-4000 lbs by themselves, whereas the aluminum trailers are more like 2800-3000... not leaving me much weight for 'stuff'.

The 10k trailers are out of my price range and also my towing capacity if I load 'em up.

Anyways, if anyone has input it'd be welcome.

Happy New Year!

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Enclosed trailer wisdom?

Post by Mark Swinehart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 pm

I will rent you my trailer anytime you need it.

Reasonable rates.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:27 pm

Aluminum is the way to go as the weight savings is substantial and they don't corrode like steel. They may cost more,but not by much considering the overall advantages. A base model 20' enclosed V nose aluminum Cargopro weighs about 2400lbs empty and can haul about 4K.lbs. cargo. I wouldn't go any shorter as space does fill up quickly with stuff. I bought mine from Atlantic coast trailers back in 2007 for around $8k..not sure what they cost today..but a bare bones model should still be under $10k. You can always gussy it up as you go. http://atlanticcoasttrailers.com/

This new one is on Ebay..it's not a V nose,but is all alu.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-STOCK-SALE-A ... s_Trailers
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:55 am

Nhtrailers.com

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

18 ft should work esp. if it is a V nose.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm

You can also consider a "cargo" trailer. My old Cargopro 18' enclosed 2100 pound enclosed was a "cargo" rather than a car hauler. The difference....I actually forget...look it up. I think the floor was maybe different and capacity of the cargo was maybe 6500 where the car was 7500. Mine was plywood with the rest of the trailer aluminum. The tow ball may have been like 1 7/8 instead of 2. Everything else that I can think of was the same. Weight was slightly less and price was less. 18' is the square part. The V nose holds a ton of crap.

Something else you might want to consider is height. I bought mine off the lot, so it was a standard height. I think 7' inside height. That becomes a big sail and drag to pull....even as a V nose. If I were to do another enclosed trailer, I'd look for a low boy. 6' is fine and even less would be workable.

Good luck and keep your eyes on craigslist. I've seen some like mine recently. I'm probably buying an open trailer over the winter. Sold my enclosed years ago.

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 am

Wow... First...Married...then babies.... Now?.... TRAILER?!?!?!?

What a moment of personal growth for you! ;)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

TroyV wrote:Wow... First...Married...then babies.... Now?.... TRAILER?!?!?!?

he should be buying a station wagon or mini van and selling the sports car.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:02 pm

brucesallen wrote:
TroyV wrote:Wow... First...Married...then babies.... Now?.... TRAILER?!?!?!?

he should be buying a station wagon or mini van and selling the sports car.
station wagon? Watch out grandpa, you're showing your age :lol:
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by RyanC » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys; I actually did buy a station wagon... I guess my transformation is complete? Mrs Clam hates driving it though and has asked me to 'buy another car' that she can drive it and feel 'safe'. Whatever that means, am I right? Who wouldn't feel safe in a 27 year old, 280k mile Audi???