Need a Ford 5.0 pushrod motor and a T5...

THE place to sell it, buy it, or give it away.
horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Need a Ford 5.0 pushrod motor and a T5...

Post by horizenjob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:31 am

Do you have a really big doorstop? Does it say Ford or 5.0 on it? You might be a redneck. :)

Before I build a motor for my car project it makes sense to get hold of a motor and transmission to make sure the final tubes in the engine compartment actually allow the motor to be in the car. If it's a motor that runs then I get to use it while I figure out exactly what parts I should get and how much motor I should try to build.

So I'm looking for a 5.0 from a Mustang, Explorer or whatever else had them. Also a T5. Advice appreciated on good sources or yards for these things.
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Need a Ford 5.0 pushrod motor and a T5...

Post by McMahonRacing » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:21 am

Give me a call some night, I have a bunch of 5.0 stuff including a long block I can part with & a t-5 that is toast ( you could borrow it for mock up, I have it set aside to build a dog box just haven't had time yet ) or may have an 86 T-5 that we could sell ( this one belongs to Dad ) ...... Pat # 603-247-3706 after 5pm

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Pat, thanks for responding. I kept checking my other thread and forgot to check here. It might take a day or two but I'll get back to you. I was hoping someone would have this stuff, it used to be everywhere...
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Good T-5's are getting very hard to come by these days, most are torn up or going to the FFR/AI Drag guys ( ASTRO, Liberty, etc. are building them & using up the old surplus ) as they seem to be lighter & shift better than the TKO boxes ...... when you have time.

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:39 am

Maybe we can talk pushrod motors in this thread and no one will notice. What do you think of the new Ford Mustang with the flat plane ( 180 degree ) crank? Sounds like a Ferrari in the ad. I wonder if this means someone will make one for our motors, it would work better with the much shorter stroke.

I think you can still buy a new T-5 from Ford Motorsports, but last I heard they were over $1200, maybe more now.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:01 am

Go old school and use a toploader.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:22 pm

OK, I need schooling on the older transmissions. I remember something from the seventies called "munchies" are they the same thing?

So I assume all the older traditional boxes are 4 speed, they can take a lot of torque and I think they are also what fits parts like Tilton rear starter mount bell housings. I think I have also seen that some oval track transmission places support them.

I worry about their weight and I guess I thought they would be even less obtainable. The T5 weighs about 75, the newer heavier duty TK type units weigh 105 and up. I'm trying hard to make sure my car comes in under 1500 lbs. So a 30 lb. difference might be a big deal. Does anyone have an idea what a "toploader" weighs?

Is a toploader what came in a Pinto or is it a bigger unit?

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I think you mean Muncie.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

'munchies'- that's some funny shit

The toploader was the gold standard in heavy duty transmissions from the sixties until maybe the 90s, when tremec finally got their 5 speeds strong enough to live in a drag car. Still plenty of them in use, Cast iron everything. weighs about a 100 lbs. Strong aftermarket. A good working one is about $ 800, a fresh rebuilt $ 1500 and up

dan williams toploadertransmissions.com

david kee 4speedtoploaders.com

A new or good re-built T-5 will be fine in a lightweight car, there's no way you'll hook up hard enough to break it
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 am

Keep in mind:

NEW T-5;'s are available and have far better ratings @ about 330ft lbs --- $ 1600 +/-
Used T-5's are all over the place and getting harder to find ( AI guys @ 3000 lbs abuse them pretty good )
T-5's get modded to handle up too about 600 ftlbs
T-5's in Mustangs or heavier cars get torn up shifting hard typically into 3rd
T-5's in light cars ( Dad's @ 2300 lbs & 415 crank hp and the FFR Cobra's ) shifted cleanly seem to survive quite well ( ran an 86 WC T-5 for yrs. w/o issues until the bump coming out on the straight finally too it's toll )
A good rebuild on a WC class box 280 - 300 ftlbs @ 1500 lbs chassis, not slamming gears should be just fine

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 am

I read up on the toploaders and they seem like nice units. They weigh twice as much or more than a T5, soI think I will go with the lighter unit. A T5 weighs about 75 lbs. and you can get heavy duty cases for them that are lighter ( magnesium ).

They are not rated for a lot of torque but I won't be drag racing this car and with the light weight my hope is it won't see too much torque. I'm glad you folks mentioned that so someone agrees with me. If we are still measuring the torque in our power to weight numbers, I will try to build the motor for top end power. It has a short stroke so the job will be to figure out how to get the valvetrain to behave.

Thanks for giving me a call today Pat, look forward to meeting you.