NA Miata's

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

NA Miata's

Post by 962porsche » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:04 pm

I hate to say it but I think I'm in LOVE !
1st I never though much for the Miata's every one got one and yes for good reasons .
I have taken my 1993 to the track twice now and even though I'm running napa 16 dollar brake pads and all season tires with every thing bone stock not even more neg. camber the car is a blast to drive .
so now maybe it's time to up grade every thing I can for T30 .

I'm thinking of SM7 tires on 15" X 7" 's . but what offset of the rims works best 35mm or 38mm ?
fat cat suspension . is any thing as good for a lower cost ?
carbotech pads 10 front and 8's rears running 2" cooling ducts on front's .
what rotors should I get the stop tech solid rotors for the 119 dollars or the ones I can buy at napa for 17 dollars ? has any one had a problem with the cheap-o rotors on there Miata's ?
because I can't adjust the suspension as all the bolts are rusted solid to the sleeve in the bushing I bought all new poly bushing and all new nuts and bolts .
Last edited by 962porsche on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffw

Re: NA Miata's

Post by jeffw » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm

SM are running 25mm offset now.

I use NAPA's rotors and get a season out of the rear and half a year out of the fronts (but i'm doing 20-35 days a year).
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

I have a set of VW rims in a 15 X 7 with 25mm offset .
I had a set of OE BBS Miata rims the offset WAS 40mm I think on them ??? how ever I sold the rims as I hate cleaning BBS wheels . but I could pickup another set of OE 15's for the car ?
I'm not going to roll the fender lips at all so I want wheels to fit with out having to roll the wheel openings .

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Maby you should change your user name. ;)
Rebecca

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Rebecca that is just wrong on many levels !

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:45 am

If you are not rolling fenders stay as close to 41 offset as you can.
The +35 and +25 will require rolling if you go aftermarket suspension and lower the ride height.
I also have a theory that the more aggressive offsets provide extra wear/tear on the stock wheel hubs & bearings.

I like the Dforce and Kosi wheel options. The street wheels I mentioned to you are RFP1 by Enkie have a 15x7 41 offset. They are really light but not easy to clean.

Suspension - Fat Cat or Flying Miata options. I think Fat Cat has the performance upper hand but FM is a great company with excellent customer service.

I run the Napa rotors and just replace them every 2 years when I get new pads.
XP10 / XP8s on my car. 4-5 events a year they last 1.5-2 seasons.

If you need brake cooling ducts you are doing it wrong. :)

Paul G.
Paul G.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:13 pm

I have been emailing and talking with fat cat over the last 3 days .
I'm placing the order with them next week .

I take brake temps as part of setting up the car at this time I have not taken temps because I'm only running 16 dollars napa brake pads . I did install cooling ducts on the car already but taking brake temps will tell me if I will be closing them off on the track for that day or now . if it comes down to I don't ever need them then I will remove them . but like on my Porsche ,VW ,diasio, I may find I use them on some track on hot days .

I ordered stainless steel brake lines and I have the 8's and 10's carbotech pads now . rotor from what I'm seeing I will just get the ones from napa they are so cheap I'm going to order two set just in case .

wheels and tires I went over what I'm going to use and tire compounds with fat cat along with what offset to run .
one thing I did like about fatcat is they were the only ones to ask what tire compound and offset I was running so the shocks valving could be dialed into the wheel and tire package .
fat cat said the same thing as paul did with offset .
just what rims I'm going to be using I'm not sure of yet ? tires are hoories R6's /SM7's for the time trails and Maxxis rc-1's the rest of the time .For rains I'm just running the hoosier wets I used them on the vw, Porsche's and the diasio and I like them ! I turned FTD in the rain with hoosier wets at a Porsche event and with comscc the red 944 was almost FTD in the rain twice .

there is a cat back system on the car now I have a bad rattle in the cat now so I'm thinking of using a race cat I have and replace the stock exhaust's center section with DOM bent tubing .
I can lose 48 LBS from the car and I have a big sheet of lexan so the side/door glass is going along with a few other things to get the car right at it's minimum weight . to save more weight I may also change the racing beat's over weight stainless steel back half exhaust to a 18 gage steel when I do the cat .
one thing that pisses me off is about 4 or 5 years ago I had a LSD for the NA cars . after many people asked me to sell it to them I did end up selling it . As it always goes now I have to find another one ! I have a account with Quaife so I may just get one of there's it's like 800 my cost .

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 am

A purchase with fatcat would be good. You need to pick up the pace. ;)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

whymiata
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by whymiata » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Just thinking that you should check your points and parts combinations on the classification spreadsheet. Hoosiers can bump you to T40 unless it is a really fat Miata like mine. (not that I run Hoosiers mind you)

Oh and a shameless plug for 949Racing - worth looking at for wheels and other parts.

Good luck and welcome to the ever growing COM miata club.
Dave
'96 Miata Blue - #109 T30

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 pm

whymiata wrote:Just thinking that you should check your points and parts combinations on the classification spreadsheet. Hoosiers can bump you to T40 unless it is a really fat Miata like mine. (not that I run Hoosiers mind you)

Oh and a shameless plug for 949Racing - worth looking at for wheels and other parts.

Good luck and welcome to the ever growing COM miata club.
Let me fix that for you:

Oh and a shameless plug for 949Racing - worth AVOIDING for wheels.

Ask around--lots of folks have had 949 wheels break.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

whymiata
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by whymiata » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I stand corrected.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3303
Dave
'96 Miata Blue - #109 T30

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:50 am

Dave your right the r6's push me over the top into t40 .
I just sent off a email to fat cat telling him there is a tire change so he will have to adjust the valving in the shocks to suit the different tires .
to save points I'm not doing compression and rebound adjusters on the shocks . so all the shock valving has to be right
I'm also getting wacked one point for a cat back because the PO of the car installed a racing beat muffler .because it's only the muffler I'm sure it's doing nothing to add and power. but it has a cool chrome tip !
there is also one point for the racing beat intake before the throttle body . I would like to swap it out with some one for a stock intake or get one from a bone yard .

one thing that sucks and I can't find a ez way our is the suspension bushing . the adjusting bolts are rusted to the sleeves in the rubber bushing . mazda does not sale just the bushings you have to buy the hole control arms so I had to buy poly bushing and all new fasteners .

I could lose 48 lbs to get to the 2222 class weight for the car or I could leave the weight at 2250 .

rims I'm not to sure of what I'm going to use ? there going to be 15 X 7's I know that offset is 38 I think (I don't have the paper work in front of me to check if that's the offset I'm going with ) .
I have a crap load of VW wheels in 15x7's I could use but I would have to roll the wheel openings to fit them on the car and this is not some thing I want to do .

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

0000-04-BUSH-40 BUSHING KIT,COMPETITION
Notes: BUSHING KIT,COMPETITION
Miata ALL 1990 - 2004 $595.00

0000-04-BUSH-KT @ BUSHINGS, ALL STOCK
Notes: MIATA 90-05
Miata ALL 1990 - 2005 $0.00

Dave, maybe you did this already but I suggest giving Mazdaspeed Motorsports a call at 800-435-2508. They sell a competition set that I think is still rubber (just stiffer). I still think it be a point for classification but it be worth clarifying with COM Rules folks once you know exactly what the kit is made off.

Might want to ask Mazdaspeed motorsports about the stock kit too and why there is no price.

Paul G.
Paul G.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

when I called mazda for the rubber suspension bushings I was told not available so I only bought all the hardware from mazda . I bought energy suspensions full kit already . it's one point by the rules .

to run the suspension (shocks and springs) with the E.S. poly bushing I will be with in the points of the class .
I miss read the amount of points for the tires so I have to run nothing more then 4 points on tires .
i'm removing the splitter so I get one point back there and I also have to swap the intake before the T-body to get another point back for that . so that would be 2 points I can get back .

right now I'm getting a point also for a cat back even though it's only a muffler from racing beat . I may just replace the muffler with a stock one or I may just do a DOM piping from the cat back to the muffler .
I don't know yet ???

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm

What does the car weigh with you in it. I was playing with the current sheet and my '91 and I'm within T30 with the current setup and swapping a 1.6 back in it. My car weighs 2400 lbs with me in it & a 1.8l.

It all moot as we really need to wait until the rules change proposal process is completed and a new 2015 sheet is available.

Paul G. - decisions decisions.
Paul G.