For the Subie guys...

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Sally
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

For the Subie guys...

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:11 am

Hi all -
I'm a *retired* COM student and occasional visitor these days, and am looking for some advice from the Subaru fanatics out there. I know there are a bunch in COM these days!!
My poor daily driver is in its death throes, and I'm looking for a new car. I'd like a wagon (baby on the way) and drove the Outback 2.5 XT last week in both the automatic (eh) and 5-speed (woo-hoo!).
We're seriously considering the 5-speed. Seems like a great car, and it's next to impossible to find fun 5-speed wagons these days. What feedback about Subarus can you guys give me? Would this be a good choice for a "family truckster" with (some) cojones?
Sally

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:05 am

as an owner of both a WRX wagon and Forester XT I recomend the 2.5T motor whole heartedly....

I have never driven the outback version but the Forester was/is great....the only problem I've had is the cloth seats in the XT didn't hold up well to the abuse of a dog....
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

Flatout Motorsports
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Another choice

Post by Flatout Motorsports » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:45 am

If you look hard enough, you can find a E46 325 or 323 Wagon with a Sport package and a stick...quite sweet actually. Check this one out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

I am also a huge fan of the new Legacy GT wagon...

AB
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Sally
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:50 am

Pretty, but we have a family ban on B-M-Troubleyou's after a nightmarish 525. :roll:

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:22 am

The 2.5 turbo is quite punchy. I'm not sure how well a tall wagon would handle.

Here's a page where you can locate the model of your choice.
http://www.newenglandsubaru.com/03_locate.asp

I got my cars at Village Subaru and have been pretty happy with their prices and service on warranty claims.

Raj
PS: I suggest you skip the wagon, get an STi and bring it to track instead :)
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Sally,

Talk with people who currently own the car you're looking for.

My wife has an 02 Outback wagon (previous generation) and I drive it every once in a while. While it has been reliable, economical and great in snow with 4 snow tires, the car becomes a Pontiac after less than 50k miles. Her car wallows and sways like it's got 100k miles on it. My daily driver is a Mazda 6 sedan which feels like it's got far, far less miles on it by comparison and I'm only 8k miles away from hers.

If you can live without the AWD condider a 6. Waaaay better gas mileage, actually trackable and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual has been reliable. Wait a month. They're starting to really throw rebates out there and these cars never really took off compared to Camry/Accord/Maxima. Look for them in the less than $15k new area in newspaper ads.

It's also bigger inside than the Subaru.

jack

Sally
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 am

Jack,
It's interesting that you mention the sway. The first version of this wagon I test drove was the base-model naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder, which was completely underwhelming (I really felt like I was abusing it by trying to push it at all) and felt very "squirrel-y" on the highway. I drove the automatic w/turbo next - big improvement in power and suspension... and then the 5-speed, which was the best of them all. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it seems like one out of every five vehicles I've seen in the past week is an Outback, I have yet to see one 2.5XT on the road so I couldn't find any owners to talk to. This option has only been available on the OB since '05, but that squirrel-y feeling in the base model made me wonder about the long-term stability of any of the vehicles.
I came to the decision that I liked the wagon, but didn't like it enough to drop 30-odd grand on it. The AWD on the Subaru was nice, but I've got crappy weather covered with our other vehicle (a big lunker of a 4WD truck that can't go fast, but can go anywhere). I'll put some $$ into my sedan, abuse that a little longer, and I will definitely take one of the Mazdas out for a spin. (And maybe, just maybe, I'll sock some cash away for my very own un-Mommy Spider Veloce... and yes, I know the passenger seat in an Alfa is for the mechanic.)
Thanks for the input, everyone! See you at the track one of these days - Sally

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Mazda is offering $3,500 rebate on the mazda 6 sport wagon. FYI.

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:02 am

Just curious. What did you decide on, if anything? I bought a mini-wagon that I find to have the cojones, and sway issues more than covered. A Mazdaspeed3! Under $24,000 well equipped, 25 mpg, and omg the torque!!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

Sally
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

we decided on... well, nothing.

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Although I looooved that Subaru, I decided not to take the leap on a new car in the same breath as quitting my job. We survived the winter (hah!) with my sedan and our truck, a P38 Rover. It's a great baby-carrier, and I can't get going very fast in it, which for now is a good thing. We've actually fallen so in love with the beast that we might pick up a Classic RR as a project car... won't do me any good in COM 'cept for navigating muddy infields, tho.
Hope to see you guys at an event this year. I've got to make sure our little girl has the same love affair with cars that I do, and we need to start early!!
Sally