Thoughts on power/weight classification

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

nhsilversti
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Thoughts on power/weight classification

Post by nhsilversti » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm

my current power/weight puts me at 7.9 which is super A...im going to be required to drive my balls off if i want to be competitive. then again isnt that what this is all about.

doing some number crunching shows if i drop 400# (off the car) and get up to a power figure of 500 ill be in super unlimited which isnt going to happen unless i go on a diet too. :oops:
need parts for your trailer, welding repairs/fabrication (sorry cant do aluminum), tires mounted and balanced, feel free to email/pm me. i am located a little west of nashua. ted

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:38 pm

cuda6666 wrote:But I don't like being handicapped.
What about Super Unlimited?
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:02 pm

dradernh wrote:
cuda6666 wrote:But I don't like being handicapped.
What about Super Unlimited?
Good idea...as soon as I take delivery of the Red Bull F1 car I'm buying cheap since it's been obsoleted by rule changes in that series :roll:
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 pm

cuda6666 wrote:Good idea...as soon as I take delivery of the Red Bull F1 car I'm buying cheap since it's been obsoleted by rule changes in that series :roll:
Absolutely - go big or go home! :lol:
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:03 pm

my car would be cheaper, Frank
go for it.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:46 pm

eastcoastbumps wrote:I think he's saying most of the SP and P cars will be in Super next year, rather than moving to Touring. Only a few Touring competitors will be moving to Super.

I hope the new Super rules will make for some good competition next year.

John, did you have a scrutineer help you with classing or verify that it should be in T90? Were you aware that you could run your car in SP or P (with a roll cage and other proper safety gear) this year which allows nearly unlimited modifications?
Pete - I am totally clueless being a newbie.I did have a scrutineer help me with my classification and in his words "You're screwed". I am trying to get caught up as much as I can regarding the rules and proper classing of my car. I am taking on building a new track car for next season and I wanted to build the car with some guidance regarding rules and classes in mind. I want the car to be competitive all things being equal (or reasonable ). For a foxbody Mustang to be competitive with Z06 Corvettes having a power/weight rule would level the playing field. I am penalized for bringing my weight down to match the vette and penalized again the bring the power up to match the vette which then based on the points brings my car out of the T90 class to T100 or more accurately to the P/SP classes.

I need to work on being a better driver before I get too caught up in the classification situation. Just seams after seeing the cars in the class I ended up in that there is not a level playing field and that if I want to be competitive I need to buy a Z06! At least let me run the same size tire and have the same HP without such massive penalties!
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 am

Pete - I am totally clueless being a newbie.I did have a scrutineer help me with my classification and in his words "You're screwed". I am trying to get caught up as much as I can regarding the rules and proper classing of my car. I am taking on building a new track car for next season and I wanted to build the car with some guidance regarding rules and classes in mind. I want the car to be competitive all things being equal (or reasonable ). For a foxbody Mustang to be competitive with Z06 Corvettes having a power/weight rule would level the playing field. I am penalized for bringing my weight down to match the vette and penalized again the bring the power up to match the vette which then based on the points brings my car out of the T90 class to T100 or more accurately to the P/SP classes.

I need to work on being a better driver before I get too caught up in the classification situation. Just seams after seeing the cars in the class I ended up in that there is not a level playing field and that if I want to be competitive I need to buy a Z06! At least let me run the same size tire and have the same HP without such massive penalties!
I have a feeling either you or the scrutineer helping you may have made a mistake classing your car. If you're in T90, you should have a very fast Mustang that has a better power/weight than a Z06, or the same power/weight with stickier tires and heavily modified aero and suspension that should make a more level playing field.

PM me a list of your modifications, weight, size and type of tires (a dyno sheet would substitute for a list of engine modifications) and I'll help verify you were classed right.

Pete
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 am

Since there is no penalty applied for aero, that is the avenue available to be competitive in the super class.
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster