NJMP-Lightning 2013 videos

Any and all discussions concerning events.
dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: NJMP-Lightning 2013 videos

Post by dradernh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

Chrispy wrote:
savage217 wrote:For those who have dash board/exterior camera views, why don't you mount it behind the driver? IMO it's so much more beneficial to have the camera behind the driver for and the video is a lot more enjoyable to watch. No offense but exterior/dashmounted videos are boring!
I agree.

In my car though the camera would be so far back that you would hardly see the track at all, especially with a GoPro. If I could figure out a different mounting setup I would do that.
That's frequently the tradeoff, isn't it? I had a camcorder on my rollbar that did a pretty good job of showing what I was doing with the wheel as well as where the car was on the track. With the GoPro, however, it was easier to mount it in the windshield.

I think the main benefit of video showing the driver is in seeing where his or her eyes are looking. After that, the wheel is of some interest, but I'd rather see what the feet are doing. Data can show all of that without multiple cameras or turning the view of the track into a thin slice of the frame. My video interest is in seeing the placement of the front tires, so the GoPro's windshield positioning works just fine.
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

Abdias
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Abdias » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm

boltonite wrote:Nice save! I did almost the exact same thing in T5 when I passed on entry and discovered I was running out of road after cresting the turn.

My video is from a camcorder and my "data overlay" is a shift light and a stop watch on my steering wheel. I was "coasting" more than I'd like to admit yet still turned a fast lap thanks to a crazy$ motor and slicks.

phpBB [video]
The way that you get the car set up for turn 5 coming out of 4 is awesome. Tracking out of 4 I was lazy at times, and not bring the car over back to the left enough and in time to really make the turn-in a little less acute.

Abdias
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Abdias » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 pm

wizzman wrote:I only got these loaded so fast because I have not left the couch all day today. What an exhausting event! Aside from the 100 degree temps I had a fantastic time however. The heat kept me from racking up as many laps as I would have liked but I managed to avoid any significant dehydration. With a few more horsepower and alot more experiencing under my belt I was able to trim over four seconds off my TT time from two years ago.

Here are my TT laps:

1:17- Lap 1 1:18.67
2:40- Lap 2 1:18.33
3:57- Lap 3 1:18.67

And here is John trying to see exactly how much more horsepower I have followed by me saving three off in T1. The audio and lower video are from Chad and his Integra.
I'm still subscribed to your YouTube channel so I watched your videos on the big screen. :D

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Abdias wrote: The way that you get the car set up for turn 5 coming out of 4 is awesome. Tracking out of 4 I was lazy at times, and not bring the car over back to the left enough and in time to really make the turn-in a little less acute.
There is 2 different methods of attacking turn 5 and they work differently for different cars. Fred's (and Dave's) line is ideal for cars that have sticky tires and don't have to brake much for turn 5. In the higher horsepower cars you are better off coming in a little straighter otherwise the car will get very upset when you do brake with steering still applied, especially on your street tires. You can bring the car back a little more left if you like, but get the wheel straight before you brake.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

Abdias
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Abdias » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Chrispy wrote:
There is 2 different methods of attacking turn 5 and they work differently for different cars. Fred's (and Dave's) line is ideal for cars that have sticky tires and don't have to brake much for turn 5. In the higher horsepower cars you are better off coming in a little straighter otherwise the car will get very upset when you do brake with steering still applied, especially on your street tires. You can bring the car back a little more left if you like, but get the wheel straight before you brake.
Hi Chris,

I hear you, with the heavy weight and street tires it is very easy to upset the car if I tried trail-braking while turning into the up hill. I think a slightly late apex at turn 4 is probably not a bad idea.

Foosh442
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Foosh442 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm

I've been meaning to post this, finally had some time tonight. I was driving my wifes S2000 when Dana passed me and provided a text book example of "in a spin, both feet in!" Nice job Dana!

Mike Fuchswanz
'01 Corvette Z06 #442 SA/SB
'02 Corvette Z06 T100/SB (shared ride)