Trailering to Tremblant

Any and all discussions concerning events.
joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Trailering to Tremblant

Post by joncowen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm

I am looking at borrowing my father's trailer to tow my car to Tremblant.

What's needed? Do i need the title of the car being towed? Is a registration for it enough? Trailer registration?

He mentioned something about a trailer insurance certificate for the trailer, but he couldn't remember specifics.

Thanks
Jon

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Trailering to Tremblant

Post by wizzman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I just bring my car registrations. I have never needed them. My trailer does not have one since it is registered in Maine :P I do call Progressive though and have them send me a special insurance card that is required for proof of insurance in Canada.
-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Never had to show reg or insurance card in 7 years crossing the border (to or from). Is the insurance card something new?
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

91rs13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by 91rs13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:30 am

I have never had issue going into Canada, but since the US Gov't has recorded where I work ( Auto Dealer group) -- I am now asked for a Title every time I come back in. Funny thing is, If there are numbers on the car they usually do not grille me as much.

By the way --the law states if it is registered legally w plates you do not need the title.
DJ

# 381 T60 BMW 318
2011 Ram 1500
1972 Datsun 510
350Z Nismo--It died a miserable death........

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for all this info.

I now have an insurance certificate for the tow vehicle, trailer and track car. I'll also bring registrations for each.

Has anyone had to pay duty on fuel brought in? I've been reading that people often get pinched for that.

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 pm

I had about 10 gallons of fuel last time I entered and they said nothing.
my "race" car has a plate.
I have have with me the Massachusetts insurance coverage statement document for truck, trailer, race car which seems to prove that all three are currently insured. The registrations seem to indicate that they are insured as well. I am going to assume that this is enough. The last two times that I went to Canada I was not asked for any of these things.
I also use a wallet sized passport.

Rebecca

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Canada Customs agents are used to us Canadians crossing over to the US of A to reimport our exported gas at half the price :wink:
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm

The "issue" is NOT going to Canada ... it's COMING BACK! :?

Most problems occur when you are crossing the USA border where you need to show proof of ownership.
If your race car is not licensed best you have a bill of sale or something to prove you are the owner.
Same goes for your car, hauler, etc..
Also best if you keep a list of the things you brought with you into Canada and if US customs ASKS for what you are bringing back then you can show the list (gas tank, tools, extra tires, etc.) what you took to Canada from the US to begin with.
Never happened to me either ... but I always carried a list and a couple of times is a caravan with other COM members we got stuck at the border because of proof of ownership of the race car.

As for a loaned trailer, make sure your Dad has a letter of authorization for you to use the trailer and that he has given the OK to use in Canada.

Better be safe than sorry!
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:27 pm

joncowen wrote:Has anyone had to pay duty on fuel brought in? I've been reading that people often get pinched for that.
Canada expects you to pay duty on gasoline, but they don't want to be bothered to collect it.
StephanAlfa wrote:The "issue" is NOT going to Canada ... it's COMING BACK! :?
The voice of experience! :lol:
StephanAlfa wrote:Also best if you keep a list of the things you brought with you into Canada and if US customs ASKS for what you are bringing back then you can show the list (gas tank, tools, extra tires, etc.) what you took to Canada from the US to begin with.

Never happened to me either ... but I always carried a list and a couple of times is a caravan with other COM members we got stuck at the border because of proof of ownership of the race car.
The formal way to manage a list like this is via CBP Form 4457 (not that anyone does it): http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf. A CBP officer fills it out in the states, and if necessary you present in when re-entering the country.
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB