Thompson Speedway in CT

Any and all discussions concerning events.
962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Thompson Speedway in CT

Post by 962porsche » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 pm

i have to agree with Mick about the glen !
IMO any track that i can get the lines down with in 4 or 5 laps is not a technical track .
does it have flow well yes but any track momentum track does .
i think monticello has a good mix of every thing not great but good . i only ran the short course once were the main pits are but even that track lay out was ok . but the hand full of time i have been there and run the full course it was fun . i like the quick left right turn when you crest that little hill before you hit the straight with the kink in it . i also like the climbing left sweeper and other good part is were the turn is right were the main pits come out (the drain hole turn ) .

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Mont-Tremblant
Monticello
WGI
Calabogie
in that order for me
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

Jimmy Pet
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by Jimmy Pet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 am

Mick wrote: Jimmy,
I've only been to Monticello once (didn't get any in-car) and remember liking it. It has some challenging elevation changes and because of it's long back straight it takes a lot of work to make up time on the higher HP cars.

I know I'm in the minority, but to me WGI feels like a bunch of straights with fast corners in between. It seems that to be fast there is more about how much risk you're willing to take rather than finesse. Granted, this is coming from a guy who loves Summit Shenandoah, so take that opinion for what it's worth.

On the other hand Mosport, another track with very fast corners, is my #1 favorite. It has a very different mix of fast sweepers, compound sections, and camber changes compared to WGI though.

It's hard to believe a track junkie like you hasn't been to Mosport or Tremblant. Or how about Calabogie? Can you make our date this season? Here's a rough outline of our 2013 schedule viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4039&p=34220#p34220
Many Monticello likers on here, I'll have to revisit some footage online.
I admit I didn't really study it too much since it seemed like it wouldn't be a possibility anyway outside of joining it.
I did watch a few videos, it just seemed to me at the time (or configuration) I watched to be some very long straights followed by tight corners. I will revisit.
I remember thinking it didnt have the flow of the Glen or Summit.

Now as for the Glen,,, I think the difference is I dont so much love "technical" tracks as much as I love tracks that flow.
I love rhythm tracks,,, and for me,,, the Glen is the best.
Its big, wide, ballsy, fast and flows, just flows and flows. I hate "clunky".
I think Summit flows well too,,, just not quite as nice as the Glen (IMHO). 2-3-4 at Summit is pure magic, as well as 7-8-9-10.

Having said that,,, I like Shenandoah too. Its fun in a patchwork, "figure me out" kind of way. I'm pretty much done with it after a day because it has almost no flow whatsoever, but I'm good for a Shenandoah day a year if my schedule allows. NJ BMWCCA did an early school there that was a good time. Its HARD on cars, well at least mine. I always seem to break something at Shendo. The surface is amazing though. I get the most amazing tire graining there. Like perfect wear, and it has good grip.

I have never gone up to the Canada tracks,,, I'm so content with whats within 5 hours of me (did you see my list?) that I become a wimp and dont bother going outside that radius.
I can drive, TT or race somewhere every weekend within maximum 4-ish hours of my driveway (towing) if I want from mid April to almost mid November (if my job permitted),,, so it makes me soft in the long tow tracks. Its too easy to just say, hey, I'll just go to the Glen, NJMP or Summit instead.

I looked at a track map of Calaboogie once and i remember it looking very cool. I have watched loads of video on Mosport and it looks like a hoot to drive. I guess sometime I need to man up ad tow up there. Calaboogie has a DB problem as well doesn't it?
Jimmy P
#98 BMW E30M3 - PC

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Road America
When I raced there five years ago I exceeded 130 mph on THREE separate straights! And then there is the kink. Don't lift at 120 mph+.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Watkins Glen isn't so much fun to race at with those damn blue walls lining 85% of the track edges. LRP is too expensive for garbage amenities, no power in the paddock and they have recently banned dogs...screw that. Monticello is a fun track with some fast stuff, slow stuff and a draftable back straight. Too bad it's an exclusive club for the seriously rich. NHMS has by far the best amenities of any track close to the New England area: multiple showers, power hook-ups for camping, garages, compressed air, dog and kid friendly, cafeteria, friendly staff, fair to good water drainage, easy access from a major highway, not near the New Jersey Turnpike and hosts lots of affordable test days. I have high hopes for Thompson and can't wait to race there in 2014.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

Jimmy Pet
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by Jimmy Pet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm

See,,, I love racing at the Glen,,, its so wide, there are so many useable lines,,, you can place the car alot of places and still be fast.
Plus the option of the long course vs. short is fun too. The short (NASCAR) course is more fun than I thought it would be.

For me I never even notice the guardrails... Its just a part of the background.
The fact that they are there never registers on my radar.
I think that place can do no wrong in my eyes haha.
Jimmy P
#98 BMW E30M3 - PC

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Jimmy Pet wrote:
Mick wrote: Jimmy,
I've only been to Monticello once (didn't get any in-car) and remember liking it. It has some challenging elevation changes and because of it's long back straight it takes a lot of work to make up time on the higher HP cars.

I know I'm in the minority, but to me WGI feels like a bunch of straights with fast corners in between. It seems that to be fast there is more about how much risk you're willing to take rather than finesse. Granted, this is coming from a guy who loves Summit Shenandoah, so take that opinion for what it's worth.

On the other hand Mosport, another track with very fast corners, is my #1 favorite. It has a very different mix of fast sweepers, compound sections, and camber changes compared to WGI though.

It's hard to believe a track junkie like you hasn't been to Mosport or Tremblant. Or how about Calabogie? Can you make our date this season? Here's a rough outline of our 2013 schedule viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4039&p=34220#p34220
Many Monticello likers on here, I'll have to revisit some footage online.
I admit I didn't really study it too much since it seemed like it wouldn't be a possibility anyway outside of joining it.
I did watch a few videos, it just seemed to me at the time (or configuration) I watched to be some very long straights followed by tight corners. I will revisit.
I remember thinking it didnt have the flow of the Glen or Summit.

Now as for the Glen,,, I think the difference is I dont so much love "technical" tracks as much as I love tracks that flow.
I love rhythm tracks,,, and for me,,, the Glen is the best.
Its big, wide, ballsy, fast and flows, just flows and flows. I hate "clunky".
I think Summit flows well too,,, just not quite as nice as the Glen (IMHO). 2-3-4 at Summit is pure magic, as well as 7-8-9-10.

Having said that,,, I like Shenandoah too. Its fun in a patchwork, "figure me out" kind of way. I'm pretty much done with it after a day because it has almost no flow whatsoever, but I'm good for a Shenandoah day a year if my schedule allows. NJ BMWCCA did an early school there that was a good time. Its HARD on cars, well at least mine. I always seem to break something at Shendo. The surface is amazing though. I get the most amazing tire graining there. Like perfect wear, and it has good grip.

I have never gone up to the Canada tracks,,, I'm so content with whats within 5 hours of me (did you see my list?) that I become a wimp and dont bother going outside that radius.
I can drive, TT or race somewhere every weekend within maximum 4-ish hours of my driveway (towing) if I want from mid April to almost mid November (if my job permitted),,, so it makes me soft in the long tow tracks. Its too easy to just say, hey, I'll just go to the Glen, NJMP or Summit instead.

I looked at a track map of Calaboogie once and i remember it looking very cool. I have watched loads of video on Mosport and it looks like a hoot to drive. I guess sometime I need to man up ad tow up there. Calaboogie has a DB problem as well doesn't it?
You have to get to Mosport and Tremblant.
Mosport is in the sticks but the track is epic.
Of all the tracks I've been to I think Tremblant is the most pleasant to visit. The track is great and the setting is beautiful.

Calabogie does have a DB limit. They strictly enforced it the first year they opened but I think they've relaxed a bit. The first year I was flagged and had to put on my intake muffler to make the limit but in later years I got by without it.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 pm

i think having a BD limit is not the worse thing in the world for racing . yes some are i think set a little lower than need be but you can still have a great time at a track with lower BD levels .

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm

I think you're all...overthinking it... :lol:
ANY track is better than no track that's for sure... :wink: As far as rating them..they all start at good and go up from there in my book. I have also found each track can be quite..."different" depending on the car you use...(Atom vs Focus vs, Miata)..and the weather.
I'll never forget my first time at Mosport..with Lou M. as my instructor. We were in my blue Focus (when it was a "whole" car)..on V710 slicks...and it started to pour. Neither of us had been there before,and weren't sure where the rain line was...we decided to "wing" it... I can stilll hear Lous voice as we crested turn two and the tail came around..."Shhhiiiieeeeaaaatttjjjjeeeeeezzzzas!! What fun!.. :P :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 am

The potential 2013 Schedule was presented at the Banquet, it is not finalized but Thompson was not on it:

Fri April 12 - NHMS Test Day
Mon/Tue April 29-30: Summit Point Main
Sat/Sun June 01-02: NHMS 1
Thr/Fri June 13-14: Mont Tremblant
Sat/Sun/Mon June 29-July 01: NHMS 2
Sun/Mon Aug 18-19: Calabogie
Mon-Tue Sept 09-10: Watkins Glen
Sat/Sun Oct 12-13: NHMS3

Paul G.
Last edited by paultg on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul G.

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 am

I think NHMS-2 is a Sat/Sun/Mon event.

Dtangard
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dtangard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Tremblant!? That makes me very happy. :D
Derek
#01 T40
1995 Miata

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Dtangard wrote:Tremblant!? That makes me very happy. :D
Tremblant is not set in stone just yet.
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Mark Swinehart wrote:I think NHMS-2 is a Sat/Sun/Mon event.
Whoops. You are correct. I fixed my post.

Good seeing you last night. Make sure you rest up and take care of that shoulder. I don't want to hear any excuses next year during our TT's. :P
Paul G.

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Stynger wrote:
Dtangard wrote:Tremblant!? That makes me very happy. :D
Tremblant is not set in stone just yet.
Set it in stone. Pretty please.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14