General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New member

Post by WillM » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello Roe,

Welcome!

Some things you should bring:
Personal/General Stuff:
1. A well rested driver. :) Start getting extra sleep a couple of nights before the event. In my early years I'd arrive to the track exhausted, having spent the night staring at the clock.
2. You need your M2005, M2010, SA2005, or SA2010 helmet.
3. You need long pants (ie, jeans), a long-sleeve shirt (t-shirt is fine), socks, and "closed-toe" or "closed" shoes (sneakers, shoes, etc, NO SANDALS or shoes with openings, etc). 100% cotton pants/shirt/socks is recommended, nylon or 'breathable' fabrics are NOT.
4. Some water, refreshment, and snacks. The restaurant will be open, it is actually pretty good (as far as track restaurants go).
5. A folding chair to sit in, if you have room in the car.
6. A fresh t-shirt. Short sleeves, shorts, etc., are all acceptable in the paddock, just not on-track.
7. Rain gear if you have any. We run rain or shine.
8. $10 for the not-to-be-missed all-you-can-eat BBQ for dinner at the track Saturday evening, after we throw the checker for the day.

Car Stuff
A. A mechanically sound car. No fluid leaks, no play in the wheel bearings, no loose objects either in or attached to the car. Plenty of brake pad & rotor material and tire tread. Could you drive back and forth to Washington D.C. without expecting any mechanical problems? If so, the car is likely ready. As a student, you will be very busy during the day and will not have much if any time to work on your car. Please know that COM is unique in that several of our members have built kit cars or race cars. The ones that built kit cars know to nut and bolt the car and closely inspect it before every event.
B. A torque wrench and the socket or any specialty key that you may have or need to remove or tighten your lug nuts. If you don't have a 1/2 torque wrench, that is fine. Your neighbors will have one and will gladly let you borrow it.
C. A tire pressure gauge. If you don't have a decent one, you'll want one eventually. Like the torque wrench, your neighbor and/or instructor will have one for you to borrow.
D. Blue masking tape. If you care about your the paint on your car, you may want to cover some of the leading panels. It can be easy to pick up chips, especially on lowered cars. You'll also need to have your number and class on the sides of the car, and blue tape usually works very well (and is common), unless your car happens to be the same shade of blue as the tape.

You and your car should be fine. I would suggest that you pull 4-5 plug wires at the start of the day, and if I see your car in tech I may do it myself. ;) I kid...I kid...

Reading between the lines, I'm thinking that Frank (Cuda6666) would like to be your instructor. ;)

Any questions, let us know, or contact me directly.

WIll Martins
Chief Instructor
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

naschmitz wrote:The OP said he just built an Ultima and wants to drive it on a track with some good instruction. He didn't say he wants to run for the class championship, win a time trial, or drive at the limit.

What if he just wants to drive his Ultima GTR in a safe environment? I think we are jumping to mistaken conclusions when we tell new guys to ditch their cars and bring a Miata.
I didn't tell him to bring a Miata, I was hoping his daily driver was an M3, 911 Turbo, or sometime slow by comparison :) The Ultima with the 720hp motor is one of the fastest cars in the world with a better power to weight ratio than a Bugatti Veyron. So yes, he'll be fine on track so long as he never puts in more than about 10% throttle input, maybe 25% on the straights :)

In fairness, the other folks comments were about learning to drive, not learning to win. Can't wait to see the car though!
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Once again, for a first timer @ track there is allot going on ..... between track time, class & a general overwhelming load of information, I would really think that just maybe using an easier car to drive, that requires maybe just a little less attention, that may just make your first day a bit more enjoyable ......

And if you do bring it just watch the transitions @ # 3 or the body shop is gonna love ya.

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 pm

I think what Bert was getting at is that we as a club have - for a long time - marketed ourselves as a place where you can learn to drive a fast street car in a controlled, relatively safe environment where there are no cops or nuns to run over. I think there is a lot of appeal in that message.
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

i just love porsche club DA days with new drivers . they bring so much work to my shop . car that snap over steer are really good for business .
any one should bring any car they want . but i am a total believer that a slow car will teach you how the drive better than a high hp car will . is it not true that a slow car with thin little tires will be in the edge at a much lower speed .
when you are having a good time behind the wheel is it not a better time when the car your driving is on the edge .
you will still have the same fun with a slow car on the edge at 60 MPH as you would with a car of high HP at 100 MPH . but now which is safer ?

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 am

a general overwhelming load of information
Too often this happens in this forum. A new member introduces themselves and everyone takes the chance to offer an opinion - a "welcome to the club, I hope you have an awesome first day" would have been just fine...

Thank you, Bert, for injecting some reason into this tread.

To the OP - I hope to see you and your awesome car at the track.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Nick all forums are the same way . people like to chat there is really nothing wrong with it ?
whats that saying ? opinions are like asses they all stink .

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:11 am

962porsche wrote:Nick all forums are the same way . people like to chat there is really nothing wrong with it ?
whats that saying ? opinions are like asses they all stink .
Actually, I think the quote is.."Opinions are like Miatas - everybody's got one."
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

What it says to me is that there are many colorful characters here with varied backgrounds, some with quite a lot of experience. Sometimes the need to share all that in one or two posts can come off more like talking down than sharing information, but rest assured that everyone just wants to help.

Drive what makes you happy. What is important is that you have a good time, you are safe, and you can trailer your car back home exactly how it arrived.......of course minus some fuel, tire, pad and some sweat.

Welcome to the club!
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 am

Overall I love this forum and the opinions and knowledge that are shared. And Troy is right, this is a club full of characters with all different kinds of experience and unique points of view. All I'm suggesting is that overloading a brand new member with doubts about their car preference (when the OP was actually asking about what tools/supplies to bring to the track) might be less than helpful, even if provided with the best of intentions.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by grovefromnh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm

What's with all the pissing and moaning about this car/driver. We get lots of very high horsepower Vettes, etc. and nobody says anything. Quit your bitching.
30+ yr member

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm

i don't see any one bitching ? and there was talk about the same thing on another posting about some one looking to buy a car for track use . any one should now that has ever driven on a track a slow cheap car is a easier car to learn on . and if your ball it up 1500 dollars is a hell of alot less than the cost of just the clamshell on the car we are talking about .

skid
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by skid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:12 am

A big thankyou to everyone at the event yesterday especially all of the freat instructors. I was very happy working with Will and he did a fantastic job teaching me the ropes yesterday. Thankyou everyone who replied to this post as well. I value everyones input positive or otherwise. After the event I think I will persue a Miata or BMW as a learning tool and graduate the GTR to the track after pleanty of seat time. If anyone has a car they are thinking of parting with please let me know. Roe

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Roe, thanks for bringing the car out. It was really awesome to see.

Good luck on the starter car search. There have been a few caged Miatas in the classifieds here that look pretty nice.

Paul G.
(guy who joked about putting a 454 in the GTR).
Paul G.

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 am

I have a thread here where I've been getting help on a track car I was designing for home building called Car9. So oddly enough the first fellow building one of these is an Ultima owner out on the west coast. I think he imported the 2nd Ultima into the states. He is referring to them as "the beauty and the beast". So if you want a car a little more like what a Miata would give birth to after a wild night with a Super Modified at the local oval track one weekend... :)
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.