Mosport- FOOD

Any and all discussions concerning events.
RUIM

Gas Stations

Post by RUIM » Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 pm

Just east of the track at the corner of RR#20 and Hwy 35 ( about 5 min drive ) is a gas station but from what I recall the highest octane they have is 91. If you need 94, there is a Sunoco about 5-6 miles southwest of the track at the corner of Tauton Rd and Liberty St. The gas prices at the track are outrageously expensive. If someone needs race gas, I can arrange to bring some to the track for those who are considered about bringing gas across the border. The local guy I buy my race gas from charges $65 for a 5-gal can, which isn't cheap considering it sells for abouit $6.50/gal at some US tracks (eg. WGI).

As for food and lodging, we always dine at Kelsey's after track events. The food is very good but they are located in town (Bowmanville) so its a good 15-20 min drive from the track. You can visit their website to see their menu - www.kelseys.ca

I personally have never stayed at any of the motels or B&Bs in Bowmanville or near the track but from what I've heard, the Howard Johnson's in Bowmanville is not the most pleasant of places to stay at. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the rooms are smelly and they are not adequately insulated for noise. The local B&B's might provide better accommodation. Some I hear are quite nice and cozy but most offer only one or two bedrooms. I'll see if I can dig up info from my buds on which are the better ones to stay at. There are plenty of nice motels/hotels but they are in or near Oshawa, about 6-7 miles west of Bowmanville. Most of the bigger car clubs (PCA, BMW, FCA) stay at the Holiday Inn.

jimalley
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: Cook out Banquet

Post by jimalley » Wed May 31, 2006 10:22 pm

Now I know what that big Amrican iron is goog for :D

TTA89

Re: Gas Stations

Post by TTA89 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 pm

RUIM wrote:Just east of the track at the corner of RR#20 and Hwy 35 ( about 5 min drive ) is a gas station but from what I recall the highest octane they have is 91. If you need 94, there is a Sunoco about 5-6 miles southwest of the track at the corner of Tauton Rd and Liberty St. The gas prices at the track are outrageously expensive. If someone needs race gas, I can arrange to bring some to the track for those who are considered about bringing gas across the border. The local guy I buy my race gas from charges $65 for a 5-gal can, which isn't cheap considering it sells for abouit $6.50/gal at some US tracks (eg. WGI).
Cool, I was trying to find info about octane. I was wondering if I need to adjust the tune for 91 or if you guys have 93 up there? I stopped and picked up 2 more gas cans (5.44 at Walmart), that will give me 20 gallons for the day plus the 14 in the tank.

How much is fuel up there these days?

RUIM

Post by RUIM » Wed May 31, 2006 11:25 pm

It varies across the city and time of day. At night time near my work it sometimes dips down as low as $0.86 per Litre. During the day I've seen it as high a $1.01 per Litre this week. These prices are for just regular 87 gas.

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Wed May 31, 2006 11:36 pm

I will bring (4) 5 gallon gas cans- empty. Don't go over the border with full cans
What's the deal on gas? Safety issue, or are they worried about you avoiding paying taxes?
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 pm

If they catch you going into the country with full gas cans they will make you pay tax on it. It's ridiculous.

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:05 am

Mick wrote:If they catch you going into the country with full gas cans they will make you pay tax on it. It's ridiculous.
But not on the full tank of gas in the racecar.

Don't forget all these "up there" gas prices are in Canadian dollars per liter. So who the hell knows what we are actually paying.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Not to steal the thread but -

in NH you can request a refund for highway taxes for any fuel purchased here in NH that is used off-road. ie. for boats, lawn mowers, and race cars.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/administration ... index.html

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:02 pm

offcamber09 wrote:Don't forget all these "up there" gas prices are in Canadian dollars per liter. So who the hell knows what we are actually paying.
It's pretty easy to figure out using a metric conversion and the current exchange rate. If you multiply the advertised C$/liter price by 3.4, you'll get the approximate US$/gallon price.

So,
$1/liter = $3.40/gallon
$0.86/liter = $2.92/gallon
etc.

This is using 3.79 liters/gallon, and the current exchange rate of 0.91 C$/US$.

W0lfK1n
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by W0lfK1n » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Mike pay with cc whenever possible. You are much more likely to get raped when you pay with US and the waitress converts in her head.

I will bring (4) 5 gallon gas cans- empty. Don't go over the border with full cans. I don't remember the mileage (probably the 15 miles Bruce says to the restaurant) but it is not very convenient for outside gas.

Silly amounts of track time are likely.
Hey there all - I cross the US/CAN border daily because of work. Here is the voice of Experience...Stores, resturants, etc will ONLY give 10% for an exchange rate (i.e. $1US = $1.10CAD). But if you use your CreditCard you get whatever the exchange rate is when it hits your Bank. :lol:

As to Fuel - 2 words DutyFree. Every border crossing has a DutyFree shop - check them out when you get there and if there is Gas get some. It falls under the "Allowable importing of Goods" because of the NAFTA agreement. You can take over the border upto $200 in goods daily. So just fill up at the Border and keep your receipt. When they ask just say "bought it at the DutyFree" and show the the receipt. I typically fill up at the border and it is on average $.20 cheaper than 'on the streets'.

Have fun all - and Drive Safe.

- Eldon

RUIM

Mosport B&Bs

Post by RUIM » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:42 pm

Check out: http://www.pcaucr.org/site/page.jsp?Tra ... omodations

In particular: Mosport Area "Group of 7" Bed & Breakfasts (within 10 minutes of the track).

Friends of mine have stayed at two B&Bs (below) and say the accommdoations were quite pleasant. Not sure if those places can accommodate trailers but if not, you can always leave your trailer at the track if you arrive in time before they close the track access gates (to cross over the track). If you have small open trailer and are a real good driver, you can also access the paddock area via the tunnel. I've seen guys do it which amazes me because it looks so damn narrow. I'm pretty sure they leave the main entrance gate #3 open all night during the summer. The local BMW club is running their school that weekend so you'll be able to access and park your trailers after they close down (5pm). They may even have some extra spots available in case anyone is looking at getting some extra seat time. Cost is $400 + GST(7% tax) for Sat&Sun, plus membership fee ($55) if you're not already a member which I assume none of you are. I don't think they accept/recognize the US BMWCCA membership but I could be wrong. For more info, visit: www.trillium-bmwclub.ca

Brookside Cottage B&B
7054 Lettner Rd.
Tel: (905) 263-4285

OR

Model "A" Acres B&B
7090 Middle Rd.
Tel: (905) 263-4319

Rates I'm told are around $80/night for single occupancy and $100 for double.