Lemons @ NHMS this weekend

Any and all discussions concerning events.
joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Lemons @ NHMS this weekend

Post by joncowen » Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Who's going?
Who's driving and who's spectating?
I'll be there driving for Team masshole.

Unfortunately, it means i can't make Summit Point....

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Lemons @ NHMS this weekend

Post by cfossum » Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Half of the Cranky Amish Mammas will be there. We historically turn fast laps, gather penalties, and require lots of time consuming pit stops.
We drove the car onto the trailer after the NJ event three weeks ago, and we will unload it again in NH. Wish us luck!
See you there,
-Carl (in the Mabel-mounted, pony-headed RX7)

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Good Luck to the Lemons racers, hope you manage to avoid major penalties and have fun.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

KKennedy717
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by KKennedy717 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:33 pm

What time does the "race" start on Saturday?
06 Mazda MX-5 #17

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 am

10am-6pm Saturday
9am-3:30 Sunday

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 am

I wonder if they will have a truckload of manure there.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 am

joncowen wrote:10am-6pm Saturday
This gives you PLENTY of time to go to SP for Monday-Tuesday event ... 8)
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm

StephanAlfa wrote:
joncowen wrote:10am-6pm Saturday
This gives you PLENTY of time to go to SP for Monday-Tuesday event ... 8)
Haha. I wish.

Imagine how tired i will be at the end of the day Sunday. Plus, my wallet will be on fire by the end of the weekend.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 pm

joncowen wrote: Haha. I wish.
Imagine how tired i will be at the end of the day Sunday. Plus, my wallet will be on fire by the end of the weekend.
Good luck Jon. Hopefully your wallet will be the only thing on fire this weekend, but probably not. !

Any rookies on your team, or does everyone have some wheel-to-wheel seat time?
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 am

Awesome time at Lemons.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-new ... se-behind/

We were in 2nd overall after day 1, on the lead lap. Our heater core exploded pulling into the pits after day 1. We left it in for the defogger, but didnt end up needing it. During the repair, we goofed, and left an air leak in the intake, which left us down on power all day on day 2. That and 2 black flags killed our chance for the win. But we are still very happy with the results. 6th overall, and 3rd in class, out of 76 cars. Without the penalties and the mechanical problems (all human error), we would have probably won overall.

We are proud of the results, and proud that we didn't cheat to get there.

Nick DeRosa and myself had 1 Lemons race under our belts with team Gnomentum. Our other two drivers Peter Rokel and Jake Wile were complete noobs. We all have some karting experience, and all have extensive track time.

Hope Summit Point is a good time.

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

It was an awesome weekend indeed. This was our team's ninth LeMons race, and each one just keeps getting better than the last (especially since they're not doing Stafford any more!).

We were in the green Volvo Bertone coupe that finished 8th (fourth in Class B), two places behind the Massholes. We were chasing you guys all day Sunday but could never quite reach you. We were actually up in the 2nd-6th place range for most of the day Saturday, until three uncharacteristic black flags in succession gained us a sentence in the penalty box. Sorry I didn't get over to your camp to say hi. You guys drove a good clean race and it was a pleasure to battle with you on the track (though at least when I was out there, you were enough quicker that the battles never lasted very long!).

I spent a bit of time visiting with Carl's team. That RX-7 was fast and reliable all weekend. Is it my imagination, or has that car actually gotten better since you Lemonized it? :D

Oh, and as for manure, no, no manure this time, as the People's Curse is no more.

The complete race report is here: http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-new ... e-winners/.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 pm

joncowen wrote:Without the penalties and the mechanical problems (all human error), we would have probably won overall.
Hey, that's what we were saying!
You guys did a great job, it is so awesome to see a bunch of COMmers doing well in another series.
-Carl (proud recordholder of accumulated penalties for our team, earning three this weekend alone!)

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am

It's too bad I didn't know any other COMer's were there. I am happy with our outcome, even though we probably could have won without those penalties. On the other hand, it was our first race, the car ran great overall and we were lucky. In reality I was just hoping the car was going to last the whole race, and it did. Can't wait for the next one!
Nick DeRosa #305

KKennedy717
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by KKennedy717 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

Just curious, what were the nature of the penalties?
06 Mazda MX-5 #17

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Tue May 08, 2012 1:17 pm

KKennedy717 wrote:Just curious, what were the nature of the penalties?
On our third black flag of the day Saturday (two for contact and one for passing under yellow), we drew our first ever penalty in nine races, and despite losing a bunch of time on the track, we had fun with it. Our driver got put in the pillory: http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content ... 26x426.jpg (that's not our driver in the pic), and "locked" with big plastic chain and a padlock. The judge dumped about 100 keys on the ground, and the rest of us had to find the right key to free our driver.

Another one, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, was the "Sinko de Mayo" penalty, where the offender's car key was dropped into a big jar of mayonaise: http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content ... 26x426.jpg The funniest instance of this penalty was when the judges didn't actually put one driver's key in the mayo jar, but neglected to inform him. :)

All in all, it was a great weekend, fun nighttime shenanigans, and great racing. (Places 2-4 were racing nose-to-tail for much of the last hour of the race.) I can't wait for the Halloween event. It'll probably be freezing, but the festivities should make up for it. :)
Dave
ST4 Miata #62