Rollbar is done! Pics

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
TTA89

Rollbar is done! Pics

Post by TTA89 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:23 pm

Dropped the car off last Tuesday and picked it up today, I'm glad I had one custom made instead of buying a bolt in bar. This thing is really sweet, they did such a kick ass job cutting the carpet and going through the seat delete.

The pictures don't do it justice, I couldn't really find a way to get a good shot of it. The paint came out awesome, the pics make it look scratched and weird.... :roll:

I'm almost SPA legal now. 8)

I know I need to get some padding for it, after the paint is fully dried.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Belts

Post by brucesallen » Tue May 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Looks great. Advice on shoulder belts: You must ensure they cannot fall off the shoulder in side impact. Constrain the belts where they go around the bar so they cannot slide apart on the bar. Make the two belts be adjacent on the bar. It is best to have the belts angle sideways toward each other. Also a belt that ties the two belts together just in front of the seat may be necessary.

Even better. Get a HANS. Then you may need different belts! 8-[
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jeffreystrong » Tue May 16, 2006 4:11 pm

Looks, good.

Curious about the cross bar and harness bar intersection. Haven't seen it done that way before.

Who did the work and what did it cost?

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Tue May 16, 2006 6:58 pm

jeffreystrong wrote:Looks, good.

Curious about the cross bar and harness bar intersection. Haven't seen it done that way before.

Who did the work and what did it cost?
I have seen that on many cages, including mine, which was done by Chris Howard. :thumbleft:
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

TTA89

Post by TTA89 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:34 pm

Tom and Randy at Precision Motorsports in Milford, Ma did the work. It's not cheap at $1600 bucks but they did exactly what I wanted and the paint work came out nice with no overspray on the interior. All the cuts in the carpet and rear panels are small and look great. Its always more of a pain when working on a street car with interior pieces. I had them install the harnesses and re-enforce the mounting points with backing plates and still ensure the stock seat belts work.

They told me 40 feet of tubing went into the car! :shock: If you have ever seen Brian Stonkus's Red Roush Mustang they did the rollbar, now rollcage in that car. After seeing how nice his car came out I knew where I wanted to send mine.

I'm trying to work out a deal for a set of Sparco EVO2s, I went to HMS Motorsports today (fun with flooded road closings!) and sat in the Cobra Suzuka GTs and liked those as well. If I can pull it off I'll buy whatever I can get a better deal on with brackets. Black to match the bar and harnesses.

The belts in the car now are 6 point, just can't see them in the pics. You can attach the sub belts but obviously not ideal with stock seats.

Drove the car to work today, no squeeks or rattles and it still rides great on the street. Its a little firmer in the rear but nothing too harsh, even with the crappy Mass roads.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Tue May 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Good stuff Mike! Looks awesome. Sounds like you did it right too, and not too much of a compromise for a street car.

Like you said, you'll definetly need some padding on it, especially since you're going to be driving it on the street. If you haven't ordered it i suggest getting the good high density stuff.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/ximg/1942/hd.02.jpg
Not the cheaper stuff that looks like pipe insulation.

I have a suzaka GT as my drivers seat and a regular Suzuka for the passenger. If you want a second look, or want to try it in a car you're welcome to drive mine.

TTA89

Post by TTA89 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:25 am

The passenger seat in you're car is tight, I know I want the GT versions. The guy at HMS called them "American" Versions... haha.

One of the SVTOA guys is putting together a group buy of this stuff.

http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... pad&cat=72

Its $17.40 for 3 feet shipped. I just need to measure off how much I need, if anyone else is interested let me know.

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:33 pm

TTA89 wrote:The passenger seat in you're car is tight, I know I want the GT versions.
I'm glad you said it first. After the last time I rode in that seat I had to break out the porta-power to take a dump :oops:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

gread
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by gread » Wed May 17, 2006 2:46 pm

I have an extra seat you can buy. It's a black Momo version of the Sparco Evo2. You'll have to get the brackets for the Mustang. Used to be my passenger seat, not much use on it, just may need to clean up after I gave my friend a ride around NHIS :D