Auto trannys on track?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Aricracer
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Auto trannys on track?

Post by Aricracer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 am

I was hoping to get a few opinions on this. My younger brother is very excited about attending a track day with me next season. Probably at the Glen. He currently drives a 07 Pontiac G6 with the 170 hp 4 cylinder engine with and automatic transaxle. Obviously, an automatic is less than ideal for track use...but to get him his first track experience, would the car hold up?

My question is, would a day at the Glen next season- in his car (with an instructor) ruin his tranny? I have heard that it will. I have also heard that it won't...

I can't in good conscious tell him it's ok to trash his ride to work for a day at the track.

If he gets hooked, then a trade up for a manual car may be in the cards. But first things, first.

Thanks for any advice.

-Aric
-Aric

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ITE/SB

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Auto trannys on track?

Post by Chrispy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 am

Rebecca runs her Saab 9-3 which is the same base platform as the G6 but they have different transmissions. I would think that the main issue with any automatic would be cooling, get the transmission oil temp too high and you are going to start cooking parts and seriously shorten the life of the transmission. I'm assuming that his model doesn't have a trans cooler? If there was at least a way to read the trans temp then at least he could know when to back off.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

Aricracer
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by Aricracer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am

I can double check, but I doubt it has a tranny cooler.

And that's pretty much what i've heard -that it will get cooked using it on the track, and it's not advised.

I've pretty much steered him away from the idea of using that car on track. I am just looking for a couple experienced opinions, so I can give him a definitive answer.
-Aric

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ITE/SB

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:37 am

Aric,

Co-driving is always an option. In other words, you and your brother could both be students in the same car, just in different run groups.

It is, afterall, the brotherly thing to do. ;)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 am

Hertz
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 am

Dan's car. :)
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

rnoonan
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by rnoonan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am

brucesallen wrote:Hertz
Don't go for one of the convertibles...

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehiclegu ... Collection

-= Rick =-

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Pretty sad..all those Herts cars are automatics only..:( Second on buy Dans car! That Mustang Cobra is fast and unbreakable! :D

The automatic 4cyl G6 will be fine for a track day,as long as he leaves it in D and let's the ecm do the shifting.Worst case scenario,the ecm tells you the trans is too hot,and he parks it till it cools. It will at least get him a taste of the track.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

My first track day with COM was with my wife's Honda Accord v6 auto, because I didn't have a full roll bar on the cobra. Didn't hurt the car at all. I doubt he'll be fast enough to hurt it. He will definitely hate waiting for the trans to grab after getting off the brakes and onto the gas. Have him practice left foot braking.
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Couldn't hurt to flush/fill the trans with a good synthetic (Redline, BG, Royal Purple) before the event.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

bigjim
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by bigjim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Mine may be a bit overbuilt for the HP I am pushing and does have a factory extreme duty cooling, but I have never had it hickup in or after any event, autocross or open track running. I do service it before AND after a hard run. It is electricly shifted so I can choose and stay in a gear as with a manual.

Does the G6 have an efective manual mode?

Don't rule it out for the auto transaxle, it can still be a great learning experiance!
'05 Magnum SPA

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Just my 2 cents:
I tracked a 2002 Nissan Sentra SER with 165hp, and 4 speed auto. Ran it two years. Never a problem (except instructors who seemed to think they couldn't sign me off since I couldn't demonstrate heel-toe. Thanks to Bruce Allen, he signed me off anyway.)

PS: I still don't heel-toe, it is toe (brake) and instep (gas). hahaha so there!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:03 pm

My Saab has manual mode (which I of course used) and the car never shifts out of the gear that you select except if you stop (then it will select first gear).
I am surprised that my high mileage ($195k) automatic lasted without any noticable problems with the engine or transmission for 10 days on the track this summer (and lots of Autocross). I did use high performance transmission fluid.

I would only use an automatic if it all you have (way better than nothing), it would be better to get a standard. If you don't, then at least find oportunities to practice heel toe in another car (what I did - went to driving school and practiced in my Midget on the street).

Rebecca

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 pm

I should have added that with that car I found that left foot breaking helped a LOT especially in autocross. But I think that the track is not the place to get used to left foot breaking. I did it all last summer (a year ago) at autocross and on the street before trying it on the track.

Rebecca

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:02 pm

ive ran alot of oval races with autos and no trannie coolers, and never had a problem. it was the guys running the standards that had problems and that only developed after a crash or too, they would break the teath right off the gears