Gran Turismo 5

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Gran Turismo 5

Post by Chrispy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 pm

A little bump for Nick Fontana. They are airing the first episode of the Nissan GT Academy tonight on Speed at 10pm. You will also be able to watch online following the airing at http://www.nissanusa.com/gtacademyshow/

The show follows the final 16 contestants that qualified by driving virtual Nissan 370Z's in Gran Turismo 5, and now get put to the test driving very real cars.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

ricker96
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by ricker96 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:33 pm

i love that video gaming can lead to a real racing job, also a friend of mine named
Chris Roberts that i race RC cars with in northern NY is competing in the GT academy so a big BUMP for him!!!! :D

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Bryan Heitkotter who was also in the GT Academy got to drive the AM Performance 370Z Grand AM car this past weekend. He actually out qualified the pro driver that was in the other car by 0.1 seconds. I think that goes to show that skills are skills no matter where they were acquired.

The episode is now up online for anyone that missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhD5WZtNDM
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Just watched episode 1 on my TiVo. So cool seeing Nick finish in the top 3 in every event so far! He gets a lot of camera time too. Looking forward to the next episodes.
Bert Schmitz
#36 TT3 2006 Victory Red Corvette

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 am

Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 am

Just watched the latest episode and they do a piece on Nick and have some in-car shots of NHMS. Watch the show, and then ask "Why would you rally in a 370Z anyways?"
Bert Schmitz

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 am

naschmitz wrote:Just watched the latest episode and they do a piece on Nick and have some in-car shots of NHMS. Watch the show, and then ask "Why would you rally in a 370Z anyways?"
A was wondering that myself after they got beached on a 2 ft burm. Personally I think Nick got screwed, he should have made it through to the next round based on his solid performance at the other events.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the support, guys! Bottom line, I didn't get it done - yes it was a goofy event, but it should have been a fun event. As you can see I really struggled to understand what the F that one rally instructor was saying (even with subtitles watching it the 2nd time through...). However, we all had the same circumstances, and the other drivers performed better.

I was mid pack all week in the driving events that were just a couple laps around the Stowe circuit (smaller, "training" track), and although I did well in the longer events (go karts, Formula Renaults, longer driver "training" sessions early in the week on the "big" tracks), I didn't have what they were looking for...

As disappointing as it was, I don't feel like I got screwed, and I'm actually glad the way things turned out - I had an awesome summer, and clubs like COMSCC are a great nicorette patch until I can hit the lotto and blow it on my own racing team (and way more laid back and less douchy than some of the "gentleman racers" that run amuck in mid-level race series throughout Europe). This is a perfect opportunity for Bryan, the winner, and I'm pumped for him that he can fully appreciate the experience and everything that comes with it.

With the winter rolling in, I'm looking forward to ice racing, maybe redeeming my F1 Boston go-kart winnings, and checking out the newest Gran Turismo 5 update (they now have Spa!)...but I am unlikely to participate in GT Academy again if they hold it for 2012. With that being said, it was a wicked awesome and crazy once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'll never forget.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Congrats on making it as far as you did Nick. I have really enjoyed watching the show. And this look never get's old:

-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:02 pm

This just won't do at all.

Where are the racing excuses? If there is one thing COM teaches you....especially this season....it is the art of concocting the perfect excuses for any situation.

:)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm

My wife gave me so much crap for watching the first episode of this show and "clogging up" the DVR with it.

She sat down once during the 2nd episode and a few times during the 3rd. This week she said "It's surprising how much better these stupid reality shows are when you know someone in them".

It's been an interesting show to watch, and i'll probably finish watching the series, even though Nick is gone. It was pretty cool to see that Bryan won an SCCA Solo National Championship his first time. That takes some serious skill. It was really surprising to see how well some of the guys that had almost no in car experience did.

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:28 pm

blindsidefive0 wrote:With that being said, it was a wicked awesome and crazy once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'll never forget.
At the next COMSCC event we should have part of your score be the Bleep Test and see if anyone can reach Level 13.
Bert Schmitz

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Nick, you did awesome. Were you really that bad in the 370z? :P Based on talking to you, it seems that they kind of take things out of context or portray them in a different light to make one driver look better or worse than the other. Overall you did awesome though. I think it is really cool how well you did in the open wheel cars. I know you are a great karter, maybe that is your calling (open wheel cars). :idea:
Nick DeRosa #305

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Nick, to be honest, it wasn't good with the 370z's in the dirt...although IMO they made the contrast look a little bigger than it actually was (most everyone struggled for at least a bit from what I saw)...but whatever, it's television, and it's over now anyway. That episode was PAINFUL for me to watch and relive.

About open wheel cars...I would LOVE to run one. The problem is my lack of trailer and tow vehicle (hence why I drive a crappy street car)...or even a good place to store it (I rent parking in the North End).
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:Nick, to be honest, it wasn't good with the 370z's in the dirt...although IMO they made the contrast look a little bigger than it actually was (most everyone struggled for at least a bit from what I saw)...but whatever, it's television, and it's over now anyway. That episode was PAINFUL for me to watch and relive.

About open wheel cars...I would LOVE to run one. The problem is my lack of trailer and tow vehicle (hence why I drive a crappy street car)...or even a good place to store it (I rent parking in the North End).

I can imagine it would be pretty shitty on that course, a GTR would be more fun IMO and better suited too. Did you end up getting a decent hang of it? They made that guy Andre seem like he got into the car and was better than everyone there. Maybe they did it because you really did not make many mistakes for the first three episodes and they felt like they needed to make you look bad. It would not surprise me seeing as though, to my knowledge, they never called you out for lack of effort, desire, skill, etc like all the others drivers were....

Sell the M3 and it is doable :wink:
Nick DeRosa #305