oil company's puppet

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jimmacsrx7
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

oil company's puppet

Post by jimmacsrx7 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:40 pm

hey all, we here at Poor Boy Motorsports were running the numbers with the financial board and could possibly be coming up with an anticipated fuel bill somewhere in the 500.00$ range for Mosport.Factoring in trailoring and a lot of track time. Please, i want to hear from some fellow lunatics and tell me how great it will be up there :lol: The board of directors for PBM (wife) only gets budget #'s that are divided by 2 :wink: I am looking forward to driving Mosport for the first time in the RX7 and i may actually have a proper suspension under the car for the first time....... later dudes, Jim

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: oil company's puppet

Post by offcamber09 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm

jimmacsrx7 wrote:hey all, we here at Poor Boy Motorsports were running the numbers with the financial board and could possibly be coming up with an anticipated fuel bill somewhere in the 500.00$ range for Mosport.Factoring in trailoring and a lot of track time. Please, i want to hear from some fellow lunatics and tell me how great it will be up there :lol: The board of directors for PBM (wife) only gets budget #'s that are divided by 2 :wink: I am looking forward to driving Mosport for the first time in the RX7 and i may actually have a proper suspension under the car for the first time....... later dudes, Jim
The best track we will drive this year, with small apologies to Mt. Tremblant.
The SPA cars will be flying- it's all about the HP up there. You will have a blast. Turns 1, 2 and 4 are fast gut-check corners. The end of the back straight right-hander is faster than I was taking it (even though I did end up in the gravel trap once). Go at least 1 time this year and you will go back as your budget allows.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

Crusin
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Crusin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:31 pm

Budget for at least 40 gallons of track fuel, plus fuel for the tow vehicle. For reference, I use about 125 gallons of fuel for the tow vehicle, F250 Ford. You might be able to stay within your budget.

Don P
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Mosport Value

Post by Don P » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi Jim -

Frankly it seems like you're trying to find a reason not to go.... I am one that can represent those on a budget that Mosport is one of the best values for money spent (including everthing) for track time that you will find anywhere.

The 'greatness' of it depends on your preparedness.

If you're new to this kind of track experience your suspension will be the last thing you'll be thinking about as you drive around Mosport - believe us..

Also if possible have your finance minister come along..this is a family group, and all are welcomed!!!

TTA89

Post by TTA89 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Hmm good point about fuel costs.

Just checked the distance and google says its 561 mi (about 10 hours 36 mins) from my house to the track. 561/14mpg = 40 gallons x roundtrip = 80 gallons x 3.00 for diesel = $240 :?

How many miles on average do you think we will get at Mosport? My car was getting 5.5mpg at NHIS. Can't be more than 200 miles right? 200/5.5 = 36 gallons x 3.20? (93 Octane) = $115

Yikes! $355 bucks in fuel. I was swaying back and forth on the idea of camping at the track. I think I just made up my mind....

Whew, I'm glad I have an open car trailer and a Diesel Truck. I feel bad for you guys with gas motors and enclosed trailers!

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I drive my car to events and tow a small tire trailer behind it. This was my routine in 2004, and 2005 was similar:

Day 1: Cram everything in car, attach trailer, drive 500 miles to Mosport.
Day 2 & 3: Accumulate 520+ on-track miles at Mosport, enjoy camaraderie with COM friends that is magnified 100x at away events.
End of Day 3 & Day 4: Drive 500 miles home.
Day 5-20: Enjoy prolonged perma-grin

I hope this year will be similar!

For any students concerned about going out to Mosport and not being signed off for the 2nd day, your worries can be put to rest. The Chief Instructor and Board are making arrangements to have instructors available on the 2nd day if needed!:!:
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Mosport Value

Post by Stynger » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:23 am

Don P wrote: Frankly it seems like you're trying to find a reason not to go.... I am one that can represent those on a budget that Mosport is one of the best values for money spent (including everthing) for track time that you will find anywhere.
Gas $500.00
Tires $400.00
Car prep and truck maintenance $300.00

A few days away from work driving on a race track..... Priceless.
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

jimmacsrx7
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Mosport Value

Post by jimmacsrx7 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Don P wrote:Hi Jim -

Frankly it seems like you're trying to find a reason not to go.... I am one that can represent those on a budget that Mosport is one of the best values for money spent (including everthing) for track time that you will find anywhere.

The 'greatness' of it depends on your preparedness.

If you're new to this kind of track experience your suspension will be the last thing you'll be thinking about as you drive around Mosport - believe us..

Also if possible have your finance minister come along..this is a family group, and all are welcomed!!!
Hi Don, i am defenitaly not looking for a reason not to go, just kidding around around with everyone. Not new to a fast track,the Glen quite a few times. The suspension comment is in reference of me trying to give my fellow cohorts in SPA more of a challenge in something more than a stock shock package :) Come on, you know i just have to go at least once!! I'm looking forward to it. Jim

deimos
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by deimos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 pm

If you want the audio-visual experience of Mosport, this thread may help.

Mosport is worth it!

Yes, it's a long drive, uses up all your stamina, brakes, and tires, but as WillM puts it, the perma-grin is definitely worth it.

Many of us caravan to Mosport, it makes the trip just that little bit less monotonous. The caravans will start forming on the forums the week before the event. Beware the Subaru caravan, I was caught in one doing over 150 KMH on the 401! :)
Andrew
'91 Sentra with wicked cool tint

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Mosport

Post by kfoote » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Of all of the tracks I have ever driven, Mosport is my favorite.

It rewards smoothness, consistency, pushing the limits of the car, understanding vehicle dynamics, and preparation. You can have fun goiung fast at 90% of the limit of what the car will do, but it's also very challenging to get that last 10% out of the car consistently.

I'm not going to be able to make it there this year, but I'll be wishing I was there for the COM events.
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm

You may not want to caravan with Jamie, Mark and myself. We did the return trip starting from Bowmanville around 6:00 pm and I walked in my front door in West Newbury at 7:30 am. That included Jamie hitting a four-legged animal on the Pike and Mark being dumped at Hogan Tire in Lowell with a busted serpentine belt. Things got pretty daffy on the walkie talkies towards the end of that trip.
Also if you are looking to start a diet, try letting Jamie find you a place to eat in Booneville upperstate NY. :lol:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:36 pm

Don't do math. Math is evil.
Whip out the credit cards and deal with it in the fall. :wink:

BrakeL8r
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by BrakeL8r » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:12 am

Mick wrote:Don't do math. Math is evil.
Whip out the credit cards and deal with it in the fall. :wink:
The problem is, you guys aren't using Racer Math. Racer Math states that the cost of an event is equal to the registration fee for that event. It does not include subtleties such as fuel (for the drive there or the on-track car), lodging, food, consumables, gifts for the family so they let you do it again....

--Michael
ST4 Miata #176

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:52 am

BrakeL8r wrote:The problem is, you guys aren't using Racer Math..
Michael, excellent post! :)

If i may humbly add, take racer math and multiply by a factor of 5 (to 10) for Italian racer math. WT@ was i thinking? Oh, wait, that statement ASSUMES i have a brain. Ahh yes, flawed logic from the get-go. :)
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

ryanthieme
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ryanthieme » Mon May 01, 2006 10:03 am

PFFFTT! All of you complaining about the cost of fuel need to think about those of us that just got signed off for their license at the last NHIS event last year and then started a new job that has you working weekends almost immediately afterwards. Can you say track day withdrawals???

I'd love to go to Tremblant but enough vacation time isn't available and I've decided that I don't really want to continue to risk balling up the daily driver to satisfy the go fast urges. I'm on the hunt for a dedicated track miata for when I finally either get off weekends or get a job where I don't have to work weekends but can't justify the purchase.

Yet.

:D

~ryan