First HPDE

Any and all discussions concerning events.
dzl
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

First HPDE

Post by dzl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Phil, I live in Burlington, I have a '08 mazdaspeed 3 that's tastefully modded - mostly bolted stock turbo except for the exhast mani.

Definitely excited for this event, and happy to finally get on the track. I've been doing autoX events up in VT for the past 3 years with this car. Not competitively though, just wanted to get out there and have fun.

I think I should be pretty well prepared for my first event. For suspension, I have Bilsteins w/ Eibach springs, and a stiffer rear sway bar. For wheels/tires I have 17x9 RPF1's with Nitto NT-05 tires in 255/40/17. As for my brake setup, I will be running a brand new set of Carbotech XP10 pads with a new set of rotors on the fronts. I'll keep the rears as the OEM setup. RBF600 fluid.

Only problem is the pads are not bedded in yet. Since this is my first time, would anyone familiar with the process be willing to bed them in for me? :D

Can't wait to do some fast driving, and not be afraid of getting another really bad speeding ticket!

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: First HPDE

Post by CP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Get on the track and just drive. Works for every set of Hawk Blues that I've ever owned. If you start to get a hard pedal (over-heated pads), take a spin through the pits to let them cool before going back out.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:25 am

You can break XP10's in on the street just fine. Do 5 or 6 stops from 60ish down to about 10mph at about 80-90% brake effort. Repeat. Done! Don't forget to make sure your brake fluid is fresh. I hear you about the tickets.. :oops: It really is great to drive fast and not have to worry about blue lights in your mirrors. :D :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

honda8790
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by honda8790 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

Look at Carbotech's website http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding4

Even though it says "track only" for bedding in XP pads, I have had success doing it on the street with the method mentioned above.
Peter H.
00 - Honda S2000 #197 T60 - Track Car
00 - Accord - Boring DD

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes, you can bed those on the street.

When you are done, park the car and make sure to NOT engage the e-brake. Just leave the car parked in gear.

The only place to bed brakes at the track, is on the racing surface (the track). There is absolutely no brake bedding, tire warming, donuts, or any other tom-foolery allowed in the paddock, parking area, or anywhere else at or near the track. Break this rule, and you will not be invited back. The track pays very close attention to this, and if they see this heppen, they will ban the offender. That means you cannot ever run there again - with any club.

I know this isn't what the OP had in mind, and I do not mean to single anyone out, just reminding everyone.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Shawn624
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Shawn624 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:00 pm

No tom-foolery? When did this happen?
Shawn Sweeney
97ish Miata #99
http://www.SweeneyLawGroupLLC.com

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Shawn624 wrote:No tom-foolery? When did this happen?
When the track threatened to throw us out on our flat-out ears.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 pm

I have been running XP8s and XP10s on my Speed 3 the past 4 years and always bedded them on the street. The bedding instructions are usually on an instruction sheet in the pad box. The recommended way is 6-8 hard slowdowns from 80+ mph. Do not comto a complete stop! Then drive to cool the pads for a reasonable distance. Repeat the first step slowwing at moderate barking from 60 mph, again, not coming to a complete stop. Repeat the cool down before parking the car. As stated by Will, DO NOT set your emergency brake when you do stop (or any time your brakes are more than street warm).

Who did your engine tune?

Welcome to COM.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by grovefromnh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:41 am

To help get your pads ready for the track pickup an old toster oven. Go outdoors and put pads into oven. Make sure none of the pad material is covered by another pad. Heat oven to 350 for 30 mins. Unplug oven and let cool naturally. Do NOT open the oven door before completely cooled down as the cold air will make the pads brittle.
30+ yr member

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:13 am

^Hey! That's how I make brownies! :lol:

dzl
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by dzl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 am

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'll have to do it late at night so I can make it out to 89 with minimal braking to do the 80ish slow-downs.
chaos4NH wrote:I have been running XP8s and XP10s on my Speed 3 the past 4 years and always bedded them on the street. The bedding instructions are usually on an instruction sheet in the pad box. The recommended way is 6-8 hard slowdowns from 80+ mph. Do not comto a complete stop! Then drive to cool the pads for a reasonable distance. Repeat the first step slowwing at moderate barking from 60 mph, again, not coming to a complete stop. Repeat the cool down before parking the car. As stated by Will, DO NOT set your emergency brake when you do stop (or any time your brakes are more than street warm).

Who did your engine tune?

Welcome to COM.
At the moment I'm running the stock tune with a MBC set @ 16psi. I will pick up an AP in a month or two, and most likely tweak an OTS map with ATR. mazdaspeedforums.org ftw haha. good guys on there. I'm opt_ms3 if you happen to post on there too.

dzl
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by dzl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:49 pm

crap, just realized my helmet is only M2000

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:41 pm

You can get a helmet in time. Try www.driversupply.com. But don't delay!

Don't worry about bedding or baking the brakes. The time you spend acclimating yourself to the track will be more than adequate, unless your instructor is insane.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

dzl
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by dzl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 pm

yeah I was checking out that site, but I saw nothing about shipping prices. Anyone know what they charge? They are over in ME, which is close to me.

Also came across the site, discoveryparts.com. They offer free shipping, and a free helmet bag. They are down in GA, so UPS says ground takes 3 business days, which is doable - if they have it in stock and ship on monday.

Checking out this helmet, the Pyrotect PYR-2600 http://www.driversupply.com/cgi-bin/sto ... 20715.5485

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I know where there is a dandy SA2005 size large helmet for sale,includes nifty carry bag...and FREE delivery to NHMS2! :D :sunny: link to helmet for sale---> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3263