SP vs P Question - Door Panels

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

bstein
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

SP vs P Question - Door Panels

Post by bstein » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:49 pm

I just wanted to confirm my reading of the current 2011 rules.

* replacing interior door panels with aluminum panels moves a car from SPx to Px

This was a little surprising given the ability to replace exterior body panels with composites in SP, but the rules are the rules. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some clarifications elsewhere.

TIA

Brian

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SP vs P Question - Door Panels

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm

That is true unless your cage interferes. Not many cars in SPx have door cards because once you fit a cage you have a very good argument for no longer being able to fit them.

bstein
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by bstein » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Mick wrote:That is true unless your cage interferes. Not many cars in SPx have door cards because once you fit a cage you have a very good argument for no longer being able to fit them.
Thanks, Mick. I'm glad that I was actually missing something. So it appears E30 M3 cars from BMW CR in JS/M3T fit right into SPC (assuming no lexan), as well as JP cars.

Brian

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 pm

bstein wrote:
Mick wrote:That is true unless your cage interferes. Not many cars in SPx have door cards because once you fit a cage you have a very good argument for no longer being able to fit them.
Thanks, Mick. I'm glad that I was actually missing something. So it appears E30 M3 cars from BMW CR in JS/M3T fit right into SPC (assuming no lexan), as well as JP cars.

Brian
That's right. Except a JS car would be better off in ST2. For M3T/JP there are some differences in the rule sets to look out for, like the door card thing, but it's all easy stuff.

What are you bringing in?

bstein
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by bstein » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Mick wrote:
bstein wrote:

Brian
That's right. Except a JS car would be better off in ST2. For M3T/JP there are some differences in the rule sets to look out for, like the door card thing, but it's all easy stuff.

What are you bringing in?
My car would be JSport w/o the Massive BBK ... so it's M3T. I may go down the slippery slope and add Evo III aero, etc, but currently I'm keeping some bits as broadly "legal" as possible. For example my master cylinder just failed and I'm replacing it w/ a stock unit.

I have a bit of work to do on my driving still. And I probably need to finish off the car first, such as installing the fire system and updating my window net to pass tech. The plan is to get it together and get a race under my belt by end-of-year beyond the usual DEs.

Figured I'm overdue to drive with you guys.

Brian

Brendan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Brendan » Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Come on out. Depending on the event, we could get a good crew of E30 M3's. You, Mick, myself, Fred, Ozgur; then Jimmy P joined us for the Glen last year.

Mick, Fred and I are SPC. Jimmy was PC. Ozgur was SPC last year, but I'm not sure if he'll be PC this year.
#04 SPC
White 1990 E30 M3

bstein
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by bstein » Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Brendan wrote:Come on out. Depending on the event, we could get a good crew of E30 M3's. You, Mick, myself, Fred, Ozgur; then Jimmy P joined us for the Glen last year.

Mick, Fred and I are SPC. Jimmy was PC. Ozgur was SPC last year, but I'm not sure if he'll be PC this year.
I'll see you guys at NHMS at the end of the month ...

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 pm

I won't be there but have fun.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am

I received a DQ after the NHMS-1 Time Trial from an inspection of my car's door bar (I have composite doors). The DQ was overturned when the scrutineers reached agreement on what the current rule means (I believe the wording will be amended for next year).

Here is picture that sums up why the DQ was issued, and why it was ultimately reversed:

The final consensus was Interpretation #2. I feel the TT and the rules process worked as intended and all parties made a good-faith effort to abide by the rules, it is a great affirmation of club policies and also of those who are thanklessly tasked to enforce them - kudos!
FF

Brendan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Brendan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

Glad to hear the interpretation went that way - otherwise you'd be climbing in and out of a re-installed sunroof :lol:
#04 SPC
White 1990 E30 M3

velozmedia
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by velozmedia » Wed May 09, 2012 10:27 am

SPC is going to have some good E30 M3 presence this year! (unless many moved to PC)

I was going through the rules trying to figure out where the M3T car would fall. Glad to find this thread. Thank you guys!

See you all at NHMS
M