E 85 any one running it ?

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: E 85 any one running it ?

Post by Stynger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 am

It also says

SSB, SSC
EPA-compliant fuel meeting the
manufacturer’s requirements as
stated in the owner’s manual
nateh wrote:Here's what the rules say:

COMSCC rule book, section VI. Car Requirements:
"Pump gasoline including Methyl or Ethyl Alcohol (Methanol or Ethanol) as limited by SCCA GCR may be used. Methyl or Ethyl Alcohol as a primary fuel is prohibited."

In E85, ethanol is the primary fuel.

FWIW, the SCCA 2011 GCR, section 9.3.26. FUEL, says:
"The use of any substance in the following table in excess of the stated limit is prohibited.
Ethanol 10.0%"

Maybe we should change the rule. Meanwhile, we have to follow it.
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 am

jlwhorf wrote:Since we don't do any fuel testing, if someone does run E85 and does not open their mouth, no body would ever know. The funniest thing was that the biggest methanol injection offender (wasn't you Frank), was the one who openned his mouth and instigated the fervor.
Many on COM rules depend on the honesty of our competitors and it works quite well. We are not going to verify many restrictions like internal engine mods.

I agree with Nate that our rules eliminate E85--- which is 85% alcohol.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am

brucesallen wrote:
Many on COM rules depend on the honesty of our competitors and it works quite well. We are not going to verify many restrictions like internal engine mods.

Comparing E85 to engine mods is like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. Fuel itself, is not a performance advantage, where engine mods are. Also, it is fine to run a car with engine mods (provided the rest of the car is safety compliant) if they don't run time trials, and I would assume that E85 would be not allowed at any portion of the event.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 am

jlwhorf wrote:
brucesallen wrote:

Comparing E85 to engine mods is like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. Fuel itself, is not a performance advantage, where engine mods are. Also, it is fine to run a car with engine mods (provided the rest of the car is safety compliant) if they don't run time trials, and I would assume that E85 would be not allowed at any portion of the event.
My comment meant that internal engine mods are nearly impossible to test without a teardown that we are not going to do Just as COM will not perform fuel tests.
In any case, of course fuel is a power advantage. High octane means high compression or more turbo boost and both mean more power.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"