Going to NHMS-4

Any and all discussions concerning events.
onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Going to NHMS-4

Post by onefastgokart » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 am

First of all, even though I wasn't able to get signed off by my Instructor to drive Solo, I had lots of fun at my first COMSCC Event (July 2nd). I will be attending NHMS-4 on Oct 9th and this time I am more determined to obtain my Solo License so I can compete on Oct 10th. I signed up for both Days.

When I was at NHMS on July 2nd, my car number was 924. Will I be using the same number as last time?? Or will I be given a different car number??

Before I attend the next event, I plan to watch as many COMSCC Events at NHMS (chicane/chicane configuration) as possible, on YouTube and Vimeo to help me learn the Line better and well I'm watching, I will also be keeping a look out for useful landmarks, like a tree or something, to help me navigate the track better.

I've even printed out the Track Course Map and will be going over that many times, reminding myself where my line should be.

I have one tip before first timers to a Track. Watch online video clips on professional racers at the same track, using the same track configuration before heading to the track. This is one thing I wish I had done!! Another helpful tip, might be to look at the Track Layout Map to get a better perspective of what you'll be facing.

Also, has anyone here used ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid? If so, what were you're thoughts on this product? I'm thinking of using it for the next event, when I get my brakes bleed.

-Adam
2006 MINI COOPER S JCW GP #0220 of 2000

blindsidefive0

Re: Going to NHMS-4

Post by blindsidefive0 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am

The videos are a good start. Take advantage of a track walk, if available.
I went to WGI for the first time this year and tried out the track on iRacing, a subscription racing simulator on PC - I thought it helped to learn the line, flow, and some visual markers before getting out on the track at speed.

Good luck getting signed off at the next event - I don't have a ton of experience (and I'm absolutely not an instructor), but it seems like students who are consistent, smooth, and safe (track awareness, looking ahead, etc.) are most likely to get signed off.

See you in October.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:21 am

Welcome. This is my first year with a competition license so I have driven several tracks for the first time this year without the aid of an instructor. I actually spend a considerable amount of time studying and doing homework, like watching videos as you said.

The other study aid I spend a lot of time with is a turn-by-turn guide. You can search the web for those. Trackpedia has some. http://ncr-pca.org/club-activities/driv ... ?showall=1 or http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org/documents/1%2 ... lo-res.pdf are good starting points for NHMS, but note that the South Chicane is constantly changing.

If there is a track walk, take the turn-by-turn guide with you as you walk the track to make sure you identify key reference points.

After I drive the track, I mark up the turn-by-turn guide with details specific to my car and where I thought I can still improve for next time.

------------------

Lots of people use ATE Super Blue, including myself. I buy both the blue and gold colored fluid from TireRack so when you flush it you know all the old fluid is gone.

Good luck at NHMS-4.
Bert Schmitz
#36 TT3 2006 Victory Red Corvette

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 am

naschmitz wrote:The other study aid I spend a lot of time with is a turn-by-turn guide. You can search the web for those. Trackpedia has some. http://ncr-pca.org/club-activities/driv ... ?showall=1 or http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org/documents/1%2 ... lo-res.pdf are good starting points for NHMS, but note that the South Chicane is constantly changing.
Bert - thanks for sharing these guides, and for sharing your WGI videos. The telemetry is especially helpful.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Adam,

Welcome back!

To attend day 2 of our events, day 1 students must either be designated as "safe to solo" or "recommended for license" by their day-1 instructors. Safe-to-solo allows students to run day 2, but they remain students at their next event. Recommended for license is just that - a recommendation. A recommended-for-license student logbook must be presented to the cheif instructor (me) before the end of day-1. Upon successful review of a recommended-for-license logbook, the student is awarded their license. A crisp $50 bill in the fold of the logbook helps. Some students might require $100. ;)

To be safe-to-solo, we expect students to be able to get around the track, online and at respectable speeds, in a safe, controlled, and predictable manner. Knowledge and adherence to flags, passing, point-bys, and all other club/event rules are also a must.

All of the suggestions you posted are very helpful, and should be considered as homework. I have two caveats about watching pro-racing videos. First, at NHMS, you won't find any, as there are no pro series that run the road course configuration. Second, keep in mind that the racers are typically running the racing line - which is not necessarily the fast line. COM teaches, and will help you to find, your fast/qualifying line.

ATE Super Blue is very, very popular. As Bert mentioned, many people alternate between Super Blue (which is blue in color), and ATE TYP-200 (which is amber in color). The difference between the two is exactly that, the color.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Nick - Thanks for suggesting the Track Guides. These should be valuable and I plan on going over the Track Guides over and over before the NHMS Event in October.

Will - When I mentioned "Professional", I was basically talking about a person who has done a good amount of Track time at NHMS and knows the "Line". I don't mean someone who drives Indy Cars or whatever. Sorry for not clarifying this earlier.

According the the Instructor I had and what he wrote in my Log Book...

Safety Awareness Scale - (Improving) - Good job right from the Start.

Braking Skills - (Middle of Inconsistent and Improving) - Learning but pretty consistent with Brake Pressure in Braking Zone - (This is Good).

Cornering Skills - (Middle of Inconsistent and Improving - "Good") - Huge improvement on line throughout day. Started out lost and ended up with a reasonable NHMS line knowledge.
.....*If memory serves me right, the turns where I had the most trouble in were Turns 2A, 2B, and Exiting Turn 6, Heading into Turn 7. (I didn't always let the car go towards the Right Side of the track, after exiting turn 6, heading towards turn 7).

Performance Skills - (Improving) - Seems to have good vehicle control skills - Knows at once when the rear starts getting loose.

Progress Towards Licence - (Additional Instruction) - More Track Time. Study Videos of others at NHMS using the Chicane/Chicane Configuration.

BTW - Here's a video clip I took from Inside my Car at my first COMSCC Event at NHMS on July 2nd. It's from later in the day. Just remember, it was my first time at a Track.

phpBB [video]
2006 MINI COOPER S JCW GP #0220 of 2000

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Ditto to what the above have said. The most important thing, I think we all can agree upon, is safety. Knowing the flagger station, knowing what each flag represents, being comfortable in your car alone and at track speeds as well as knowing your surroundings. With that said, it is all about seat time. The more practice you get with clubs, the better chance of acquiring your license or being safe to solo becomes. Here is my 3 minute video from the last NHMS event with COM. Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/user/savage217?f ... 0BuEhoAMD4
Nick DeRosa #305