New to track days with a Subaru Question.

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Rdionne
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

New to track days with a Subaru Question.

Post by Rdionne » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello Folks,

This is my first post here on the forums, So I figured that I would make my self known and get some advice. I will not be taking to the track this Season as my SVT Contour is on its last legs, but next year I hope to be at the NHMS events (its the closest track to me). I am looking at purchasing an Impreza, and I have a question about the brakes on them at NHMS. I really want to get the STI, however due to budgetary restrictions, insurance and other factors I might end up with an 06-07 WRX (the 4 pot/ 2 pot setup) Besides the obvious of High temp Fluid, tires and Braided lines, any that can be done to increase the brake performance and durability during the sessions? are the stock brakes enough for tracking or should I invest in the STI Brembro's or Stoptechs before even thinking of tracking the car. I would think that the 4pot setup would be enough since it was the standard brakes on the STI's through 2003 and is one of the choices for the Spec. C (through 2007). I would appreciate any info that you folks can provide to me about this, it will help guide me through my search for a car.

Thanks,
Rob
Kicking it Old school...One corner at a time :D

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: New to track days with a Subaru Question.

Post by CP » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 pm

There are brake pads for the street, pads for the track and some in-between pads as well. I'd suggest you get some track pads before dropping major coin on a big brake setup. Most beginners don't use the stock brakes at 100% for a while, so don't waste your money when getting started. Just get some decent pads for the stock WRX brakes at first and then work your way into debt slowly.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

Rdionne
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Rdionne » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 am

I can't Believe that I forgot pads!!!! God I am such a Noob. Any Suggestions from the Subaru crowd on brands or compounds for the 06-07 WRX? Im not partial to brands.
Kicking it Old school...One corner at a time :D

agrabau
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by agrabau » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Hawk Blue 9012
Project Mu Club Racer
Endless ME22

those are all pads I've recommended to people with good success. Hawks are the cheapest of the bunch and available through tire rack

The brakes are good, not as good as the STI (smaller diameter)
Alex Grabau
BMW E30 M3 FIA GR.H

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

I'd also add looking into Carbotech. Call them directly and tell them what your car is. They'll still ask the weight. They're expensive, but they work. Frank Perron runs his LGT with Waaaay too much power and still has stock brakes and Carbotechs.

Oh....if you do Hawk Blues, you'll need a separate set of track rotors. I don't know for sure about Subaru, but I do know for sure that the compound is NOT compatible with stock Audi pads. I melted some caliper seals learning that lesson.

There are plenty of track whores in the new england section of nasioc.

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by grovefromnh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 am

Brake cooling ducts will help your brakes live longer. Also slow down on the 'cool off' lap to the point that you dont have to use the brakes to give the max cool airflow. i used to water cool my brakes for the practice sessions. Attach wiper nozzles to aim into the center of the rotor's cooling fins. use old wiperfluid tank with builtin pump. Wire it to your brakelight switch with an on/off switch within reach. Do 2-3 laps to get brake temps up to most efficient, then hit the switch. Every time you hit the brakes, cooling water goes into the center of the rotor. Not needed for short track timed runs (NHMS), but maybe halfway aroung Watkins Glen on your second lap. Also, remove the dust shield behind the rotors or bend the front half outward to catch some cool air. Brake pads: Get a toaster oven (NOT the one you use) put new pads onto tray with no overlapping. Put oven outside 9because of the forthcoming smell) bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Unplug oven and let cool naturally. DO NOT open oven door as the cold air will make the pads brittle. Done correctly, this will outgas the pads before you use them, resulting in much less, if any , additional bed in time. Russell Speed Bleeders for your calipers make bleeding the brakes a one man job. These bleeders have a checkvalve that closes when you release the brake pedal during bleeding so no air is sucked into the system. a container for the old fluid, some hosing and a wrench is all you need to bleed the brakes at the track, etc. Good luck!!
30+ yr member