Format for July NHMS

Any and all discussions concerning events.
SmokinS4
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Format for July NHMS

Post by SmokinS4 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Will,

As i mentioned before, I make my track schedule in January. As an instructor, my employer lays out my travel/teaching schedule many months in advance. My priorities for scheduling always go to clubs that allow me to instruct first, but with so many clubs for which to instruct, currently COM gets the last priority. As a parent with two young kids, I find it very challenging getting to as many events as I do. With that said, I don't have the luxury of making last minute decisions, like Monticello this spring or NHMS in July. As a result, while I was waiting for your response, I signed up for the BMW White Mountain Chapter event on July5th instead. I can't wait around for weeks waiting for responses to information requests, especially days before registration ends.

As an ambassador to the club and the Chief Instructor, a more timely response would be most helpful to the membership. This would have also prevented this forum thread, or publication of your email address (which weren't meant to be malicious, I just needed a response to my query - your lack of response was my same experience in the past with you). Ignoring people only makes them feel - ignored. Since you represent COM, you may want to be aware of what you say and how it represents the club (like the distasteful Nigerian email comment).

How many people are on that waiting list? What is my position within that queue? I'm not holding my breath for COM, I'm still interested for next year as my schedule for 2010 is mostly set in stone. You've certainly set the tone as to how you manage your Chief Instructor role and I don't foresee that you'll accept me into the instructor-fold at this point, but consider what your words and actions mean to other people, especially new members.

As for your past problem of too many instructors, simply make it 1st come, 1st serve, like everyone else (making this less political) This will likely prevent you from having to scramble to get instructors when you are short, like Monticello. With so many clubs struggling for instructors AND students, it seems silly to push anyone away. I often bring students (friend & family) with me, so you lost out on new membership, new students and revenue too. (my friend IS joining me at NHMS with BMW - he goes where I go).

Just remember, it's a volunteer organization. Volunteers are there to help, so treat them with respect, unless you want to push them away, like you have. Hindsight is 20/20.

Kindest Regards,
Matt

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Enough already- this is bull-s#@t that Will needs to take this heat without our support. Is there anyone that has done more for this club in the last several years? There are plenty that have done as much- but not more.

Mel Brooks said it best, "It's good to be the King"...

Ball-washing done...hook me up with some sweet students Will :wink:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 am

I thought Will answered quite well and to the point. Some people just don't like to be told "Thanks,we don't need you right now." If only instructors signed up for an event, the club would surely collapse.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 am

breakaway500 wrote:I thought Will answered quite well and to the point. Some people just don't like to be told "Thanks,we don't need you right now." If only instructors signed up for an event, the club would surely collapse.
I thought WIll's answers were right on the mark as well.

It's hard to tell from Matt's posts what he really wants. Applying for a job where every post has zinger in it aimed at the boss -- where does that work? BMW? Audi?
Bert Schmitz
#36 TT3 2006 Victory Red Corvette

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

The forum is a dubious choice for this sort of inquiry imo. That said, all officers, directors, chiefs, and instructors ARE ambassadors for COM ... so Matt, THANK YOU for all your help in the past and good luck with the BMW club on July 5th, I'm sure Will shares my gratitude too.

To return to the original thread, the format of the July 2-4 event now includes a Shake 'n Bake Italian-style BBQ on Friday evening! Further details (and a sign-up sheet) are on the "For Attendees Only" page (click here).

Ciao!
FF

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 am

SmokinS4 wrote:Will,

As i mentioned before, I make my track schedule in January. As an instructor, my employer lays out my travel/teaching schedule many months in advance. My priorities for scheduling always go to clubs that allow me to instruct first, but with so many clubs for which to instruct, currently COM gets the last priority. As a parent with two young kids, I find it very challenging getting to as many events as I do. With that said, I don't have the luxury of making last minute decisions, like Monticello this spring or NHMS in July. As a result, while I was waiting for your response, I signed up for the BMW White Mountain Chapter event on July5th instead. I can't wait around for weeks waiting for responses to information requests, especially days before registration ends.

As an ambassador to the club and the Chief Instructor, a more timely response would be most helpful to the membership. This would have also prevented this forum thread, or publication of your email address (which weren't meant to be malicious, I just needed a response to my query - your lack of response was my same experience in the past with you). Ignoring people only makes them feel - ignored. Since you represent COM, you may want to be aware of what you say and how it represents the club (like the distasteful Nigerian email comment).

How many people are on that waiting list? What is my position within that queue? I'm not holding my breath for COM, I'm still interested for next year as my schedule for 2010 is mostly set in stone. You've certainly set the tone as to how you manage your Chief Instructor role and I don't foresee that you'll accept me into the instructor-fold at this point, but consider what your words and actions mean to other people, especially new members.

As for your past problem of too many instructors, simply make it 1st come, 1st serve, like everyone else (making this less political) This will likely prevent you from having to scramble to get instructors when you are short, like Monticello. With so many clubs struggling for instructors AND students, it seems silly to push anyone away. I often bring students (friend & family) with me, so you lost out on new membership, new students and revenue too. (my friend IS joining me at NHMS with BMW - he goes where I go).

Just remember, it's a volunteer organization. Volunteers are there to help, so treat them with respect, unless you want to push them away, like you have. Hindsight is 20/20.

Kindest Regards,
Matt
Mark, sounds like this post is deserving of the tissue award.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 am

Jonathan,I actually had worded my response using "whining" ..but deleted it. Twice. :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Shawn624
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Shawn624 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:13 am

I don't know about all of that instructor stuff, but I thought "the distasteful Nigerian email comment" was funny as hell. :lol:
Shawn Sweeney
97ish Miata #99
http://www.SweeneyLawGroupLLC.com

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am

SmokinS4 wrote:Just remember, it's a volunteer organization.
Good point Matt. The people that run COM are all volunteers, they take time out of their busy schedules to help. Will has helped plenty.
IMO if their priority's don't match yours, I doubt zinging them on a public forum is going to help your cause, probably just the opposite.

FWIW I thought Will' post was restrained, to the point and funny.....very funny. :lol:
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:37 pm

SmokinS4 wrote:
I don't understand why all of this is so political. Most clubs are very excited to have new instructors, especially in this economy.
how is this at all 'political' in any way?? also, if you make your track schedule in January and can't do things 'last minute', then how is it that you were somehow able to interrupt your locked in stone schedule and take part in the BMW event on July 5th?

I think the only 'tone' that has been set in this thread is your arrogance. That is what your words and attitude have meant to me.

I'm glad your 'friend' goes where you go, because that way you will always have a 'student' - i wouldn't want you in my car instructing me. if your friends and family have the same outlook on life as you do, then you can keep them far away from any event I am attending.

note - i'm not an ambassador or instructor, so I don't have to be nearly as restrained in responding to your ridiculous post where you cried a million beautiful sad tears because the cool kids didn't RSVP to your birthday party fast enough. Wow, unbelievable.

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Matt;
Com is a different kind of car club than most of the "make" clubs. We are not "how do we look in our car" but more how does the car perform and who cares what it looks like. We are a group of "motorheads" driven by one goal , to go faster. Our instructors usually come from with in the club. Most instructors have competed with Com for many years before becoming an instructor. There is a waiting list of long time members who wish to be instructors. What makes you think you should be able to jump in front of these members ? There is usually not a shortage of instructors at most events. The exception is usually the first event of the year. The drivers and instructors at Com are the best in the business, but just because you can drive fast doesn't mean you will make a good instructor. You also need a great attitude and good communication skills, which you seem to be lacking. Insulting the great volunteers of Com, like Will, who does more than anybody else , will not help your chances of being instructor. Trying blackmail won't help either (you won't take me as an instructor so I'll take students elsewhere). We are a competition club which sets us apart in both performance and attitude. I myself taught with some of the "make " clubs long before I taught with Com, yet I still attended Com events to compete. Maybe you should have tried this instead of proclaiming that you will do" July 5th with BMW". Com is a great club , with great people , you should try it before badgering our fantastic chief instructor. There is a Com meeting on the third Wednesday of every month, you and anybody else is welcome. Learn our club and culture before whining and berating us and our club .

Com board of directors member
Com instructor
Com competitor
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Seeing how its LeMons season again 'round these parts... Id like to make a nomination for a new position on the COM board.

Chief of BS.

In addition to wearing a chiefly white wig and a black robe in scorching summer new hampshire humidity, they will make completely arbitrary rulings on anything remotely smelling like BS, and all things that have nothing to do with BS. They can call BS in tech, BS on your time card (which I fail apparently), BS on the forum, BS in the board meetings, BS in teh drivers meetings, and any other BS or non BS items they can call BS on. Enforcement of BS is at the sole discretion of the BS Chief including and encouraging public humiliation and BS.

Nominations will be taken on sat in the black and white ballot box in the tech shed.
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:03 pm

oh Bill's gonna flame me for that one... I just polluted the holy box.. :x

at least we're back on topic...
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

solfly
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re:

Post by solfly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:07 am

boltonite wrote:The forum is a dubious choice for this sort of inquiry imo. That said, all officers, directors, chiefs, and instructors ARE ambassadors for COM ... so Matt, THANK YOU for all your help in the past and good luck with the BMW club on July 5th, I'm sure Will shares my gratitude too.

To return to the original thread, the format of the July 2-4 event now includes a Shake 'n Bake Italian-style BBQ on Friday evening! Further details (and a sign-up sheet) are on the "For Attendees Only" page (click here).

Ciao!
FF
i get a server error when i try to log in, what time is the bbq?

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 am

solfly wrote:what time is the bbq?
The BBQ will start after the last track session, ~ 5 pm. Bob will fire up the grill ~4. When you smell smoked sausage kabobs, use your nose or just follow the trail of drool.

Btw, Late entries for NHMS-2 are >still< being accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sunday (open track day) looks promising for getting a ton of open track all day long. Just visit COM Registration.