My First COMSCC Event

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

My First COMSCC Event

Post by onefastgokart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

Hello,

I actually have another username (MK5-Fast-GTI-Driver) on this Forum but since I changed vehicles, I thought it would be good to change my username.

I use to own a 07 VW GTI but now I own a 06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP #0220. The MINI Cooper S JCW GP is a Race Prepped MINI. Only 2000 were built and only 415 came to the United States. Produces 215 HP & 180 Ft. Lbs of Torque. Only has 2 Seats. NO BACK SEAT, and NO Rear Wiper and Wash System, plus Sound Deadening Material Removed to help Reduce Weight. Has some other features, too. According to the Specs & Info, has a Top Track Speed of 147 MPH.

I have registered for the COMSCC Event on July 2nd at NHMS. I'll only be doing the July 2nd Event, which is the Driver's School, so I can hopefully get my COM License.

I have some questions now:

1) INSURANCE: What are the Insurance Requirements for COM Events? Should I go to my Insurance Agent and ask them about any restrictions or anything related to Tracking my car?? My name is on the NH Registration, but I'm under my Parents Insurance Policy right now.

2) I have looked at the Rule Book and I believe the class that I'll be in is, Showroom Stock - A (SSA). If someone could please verify that this is correct, please let me know.

3) What should I bring with me to the Event?? I ordered a Snell Approved 2005 Full Face Helmet. What about shoes?? Do they need to be Over The Ankle Shoes??

4) Would I be able to mount my GO PRO Camera in the car for the Event? Where can I mount the Camera?? I'm assuming I would have to mount the Camera INSIDE the car.

5) What should I do, to make sure my car is Ready for the Event? I recently had a Tech Inspection done, just to make sure that my car was up to Standards. Everything was Good, except for a Inner Ball Joint, which is being replaced at this moment. I also have new Rubber on all 4 wheels. They're summer tires. I went with NON-Run Flats instead of Run Flats.

Thanks for the Help & Info.

Adam
2006 MINI COOPER S JCW GP #0220 of 2000

chaos4NH

Re: My First COMSCC Event

Post by chaos4NH » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 am

No back seat, sound deading removed, sounds like ST2 to me. Nate?
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 am

There is a common misperception that you need your COM license to participate the Time Trial day.

All students are eligible to attend Day 2 with approval from their instructor. Members who achieve their COM licenses are allowed to solo on any track for as long as they remain members of COM, students are granted solo privileges on a per-event basis.

For the July 2-4 event, all students "signed off" for Day 2 can also attend Open Track on Day 3.

FF

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the club!

From your description, it sounds like all of those "modifications" were done at the factory. If that is the case, then I believe you are correct about your car class (SSA). If the car came with rear seats and such and YOU removed them, then Sam's guess sounds right (ST2). Contact our Chief Steward, Nate Hine, for clarification. Nate's email address is listed on our main website. Click on the "About COM" tab, then click the "Officer/Chief Directory" link in the sub-menu.

1. Insurance. Some people have had their insurance policies canceled after asking their insurance companies about track events. Others have found that they are covered for "driver education" events. Personally, I've always considered myself "self-insured" at these events (in other words, I bend it, I pay to replace it).

2. See above, email Nate.

3. Get yourself a COMSCC Mentor! They are free and very helpful! Our crew of COM mentors are long-term members who like helping new members get up and running with the club.

What to bring?
Safety/clothing: Helmet, long pants, close-toed shoes (no sandals), long sleeve shirt. Cotton is good, nylon is not acceptable. I would suggest narrow & flat-sole shoes, like VANS. Whatever is comfortable and doesn't get tangled up in the pedals. You can wear shorts & short-sleeves at anytime, except while on-track. Many people swap out during the day to stay cool. Bring an extra shirt or two, unless you like wearing sweaty clothes all day and during your ride home. :)
General: Plenty of water, some snacks. A folding chair to sit in, some basic tools if you have them (torque wrench & socked for your lugnuts, tire pressure gauge, blue masking tape to put numbers & class letters on both sides of your car).
Fun Factor: A friend! Either as a participant, Hot-Lap Ride-Along, or observer.
Most Important: A good night sleep and positive attitude!

4. Camera. Not a problem. SOLIDLY mounted, inside or outside of the car is your choice. Should not obstruct driver or instructor at all. Must be mounted during your tech inspection. Key words here: SOLIDLY MOUNTED.

5. Your car should be in good mechanical condition. That means there are no fluid leaks, the car is not prone to overheating, the brakes & tires are in good condition, etc. If you want to go the extra mile and have your car looked at by a COM racer & instructor & tech steward, Les at Apex Automotive Engineering is all that AND owns a Mini Cooper S (BTW, if you go there, tell my car I said "hi".). Scott and Jamie at FastTrack in Woburn, MA, are also COM members & racers.

Cheers,

Will Martins
Chief Instructor
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Yes, you are correct about the "modifications", they were done at the Factory. I have not done anything to the MINI. Like I said before, the MINI GP is basically a Race Prepped MINI Cooper from MINI (the company). Since that's the case, I will be in the SSA Class. I just wanted to make sure I was in the right class.

Thanks for the heads up on the insurance. I guess I will not be asking my Insurance Agent any questions about Tracking the MINI.

I'll be sure to bring the items you listed, too.

FYI - I tried to sign up for the 2nd day but had no luck.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:24 pm

onefastgokart wrote:FYI - I tried to sign up for the 2nd day but had no luck.
Let me clarify: students can sign up for the 2nd day IF they also sign up for the school day, non-Licensed members do not have the option of just running the TT day.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 pm

boltonite wrote:
onefastgokart wrote:FYI - I tried to sign up for the 2nd day but had no luck.
Let me clarify: students can sign up for the 2nd day IF they also sign up for the school day, non-Licensed members do not have the option of just running the TT day.
Let me clarify the clarification: Once you've registered, you cannot change your registration unless your existing registration is canceled. Thus, if you've registered for day 1, you cannot also register for day 2 unless you first contact the registrar to cancel or update your existing registration.
FF

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:56 pm

I figured that was the problem, however, when I first Registered, I tried to sign up for both the 1st day and 2nd day but it wouldn't let me, so I just signed up for the 1st day and it allowed me to register.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Oops! that was a bug, thanks! for letting me know, its now fixed.

If you still want to register for both Day 1 and Day 2 pls send me a PM and I'll take care of it. -FF

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Your mentor has been assigned.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:28 am

WillM wrote:Scott and Jamie at FastTrack in Woburn, MA, are also COM members & racers.
Fastrack is in Peabody just off of the 95/128 split and they're great guys..aligned my Galant VR4 for several years.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 am

brucesallen wrote:Your mentor has been assigned.
Thanks.

Received an E-Mail from him last night.

Could someone please tell me what a Hot Lap is? In a previous post, WillM Stated, "Bring a friend for a Hot Lap".

If I was to bring someone to the event, how would I be able to do a Hot Lap with that person??

Adam.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 am

Hot Lap Timer - timing device: to check your times at each lap.

Find new ones at Driver Supply: https://www.driversupply.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

HTH,
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 pm

onefastgokart wrote: Could someone please tell me what a Hot Lap is? In a previous post, WillM Stated, "Bring a friend for a Hot Lap Ride-Along".

If I was to bring someone to the event, how would I be able to do a Hot Lap with that person??

Adam.
Adam,

Will was talking about having a friend take full speed ride with an intructor during lunch, for just signing up for a years membership. If you are signed off for solo and you want to compete in the time trials, ask your instructor to help you find someone with a stop watch to time you. A lap timing system like Stephan mentioned is ideal if you compete on a regular basis, but a big purchase for a first timer.

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for the info.

I'm first going to see how the first event goes before I buy a Lap Timing Device.

-------

Question about tire pressure...

The tires I have are 205/40-18. Stock recommended Tire Pressure is 38 PSI. I've heard that I should raise the Tire Pressure 4 - 6 PSI. How much PSI should I be running in the Front and how much in the Rear?

Adam