How good was that track!!

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jimmacsrx7
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

How good was that track!!

Post by jimmacsrx7 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Man, Monticello was so much fun,what a great track!! I feel like I could go there 7 more times and find something every session on track.My favorite corner was the left hand kink,a dropaway corner at that speed was very fun :D. There were so many cool corner complexes and a 150+ strait gets your attention.All this at 3.5 hours from central mass. I hope this will be a regular for our club. Great job to those who booked this event.
Jim McNamara
#30 Mazda RX7 PA

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How good was that track!!

Post by TroyV » Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Ditto on all of that....well......except for the 150mph part in my case.. :)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

willstro88
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by willstro88 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Loved the track, but it was a brake-eater. Mine were gone by the end of the first session on Tuesday morning. I tried some street pads during the second practice session and they faded so badly on the second lap that I almost parked it in the tire wall at the end of the pit straight. Thanks to Gordon, who loaned me a set of real pads and rotors, I was able to do the time trial. Great track, great people, great time. Kudos to the organizers and volunteers.

Will
'06 Miata
2006 Miata #552

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Sat May 08, 2010 9:42 pm

I also had to change pads on the beginning of the second day. It is just that in my case, the pads coming out were put in last May. ;)

Here is some in car from day two.

Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 pm

I'll vote for going back again next year, would be nice to have a little better facilities, but the track was fantastic. My favorite was the carousel, it seemed to go on forever. The Glen used to be my favorite track ,now I'm not sure. It would be great to do them back to back, they can't be more than an hour or two apart. Great job to all those who made it all possible, the BBQ was great.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm

10-4 on the brakes guys And thank you Carbotech, good to the last mm. I haven't driven my car since the TT. Not safe for the street even!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

delongedoug
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by delongedoug » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I've only been doing track days for a year and this is just my third track (Lime Rock and NJMP Lightning being the other 2) and it was lightyears better than them. The full 4.1 mile configuration made it oh so sweet! I reached 140 on the straight but really enjoyed the elevation changes and variety of corners thrown at me. I had a spin on my "take it easy session" :roll: at the end of the day on Monday. That last turn before the hairpin/pit in corner was a doozie (left hand kink downhill after a crest). I'd like to again thank my instructor, Nate, for being positive and helpful all day long. I had a sour instructor experience a few weeks before at NJMP with NASA and you were great.

I absolutely recommend COM return next year and run the full course if at all possible. The only negatives I found were, as someone else mentioned, the facilities were almost nonexistant (and distant from the paddock). Unless there was a whole other area we didn't have access to, I was surprised such an elite and expensive club had trailer toilets and a tent. The paddock being stone rather than pavement and having a 'step' from paddock to pavement (I read someone busted their oil pan or something along those lines) was also less than ideal, along with being a small paddock to being with. We had to park in the grass and hunt for an opening to get into the paddock. These aren't big issues when looking at how amazing this track was. 2.5hrs from Hartford is another plus.

Best time I've ever had sitting down!
Blue Evo

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Liz and Jeff had a great time, what a track!

Funny, I think the carousel there is the Watkins turn inverted - the G's and the wheel position are just about exactly the opposite lock. It was cool to realize that about half way through a time around, and nail it the rest of the weekend.

I like the idea of WGI and this one back to back - great work and thank you to everyone on the organizing side. COM is the best out there!

Hey - can I borrow a car that hits 150? :)
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed