Tire recommendation

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Tire recommendation

Post by cuppatea » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello COMSCC-ers,

After the Miata Test&Tune yesterday, it has become quite clear that the All-Seasons on my NA are inadequate so I'm now in the market for new ones. :shock: :oops: I need them to be street-worthy and rain-worthy (daily driver) since I don't plan to swap tires between autocross events. Rob from the Miata club has suggested the Kumho ASX but these don't come in 14-inch and if I were to get them, I'd have to get some 15-inch rims as well. I'm on a pretty tight budget so I'd love to know my options. What do you think? I'm currently thinking of the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS because they have a special on TireRack.com but I've read on other forums that they can be "spongy". I'm not sure what they mean though....

cheers,
Ivy :)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Tire recommendation

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:28 pm

I like the Falken RT615's a lot.Good for track,good for A/X and ok for the street..just watch it in heavy rain.I would not run them in the winter.The new version is called the RT-615K and come in a 195/60/14" size,which would be ideal for your Miata. They are a premium tire,and cost about $110 each,but that is the price you pay for good rubber. Here is a link to Discount Tire... http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... erformance
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks Mark! :)

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm

I've had both the Falken Azenis (RT-215, the predecessor to the RT-615) and the Bridgestone RE960 AS on my Miata. They are both good, but they are two completely different tires. The Azenis are far more a performance tire than the Bridgestones, and will be much, much better in an autocross. The price you pay for that will be more noise (especially as the tires get older), a harder ride, and a shorter life.

When I started switching tires at events, I finally got tired of the Azenis on the street, so I got the Bridgestones. They are just what I wanted in a street tire: quiet, comfortable, and perfectly fun for spirited street driving. But I don't think they would be good at all for an autocross. Spongy is right, in that when you turn the wheel, it takes the tires a split second to respond. The Azenis will respond instantly.

Other options that seem to be popular on miata.net are the Hankook RS-2 and the Toyo T1R, but I do not have experience with those. The Toyo sound like they would be intermediate between the Azenis and the Bridgestone.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Excellent! I do hope to autocross with them too so 'spongy'/'indirect' is definitely not what i'm looking for. Do you have any opinions on the the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec ? Thanks :)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 am

I have heard good things about the Dunlops,but no first hand experience.

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am

cuppatea wrote:Hello COMSCC-ers,

After the Miata Test&Tune yesterday, it has become quite clear that the All-Seasons on my NA are inadequate so I'm now in the market for new ones. :shock: :oops: I need them to be street-worthy and rain-worthy (daily driver) since I don't plan to swap tires between autocross events.
Do you drive many miles? You might want to consider Toyo RA1s. They come in 14 (205/55/14) and when they're full depth they're a great rain tire....
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I do tend to drive fairly long distances with the Miata. I have a 130 mile commute (one way) between Cambridge and New Haven. ... not to mention the commute to AutoX events at Devens, MA from New Haven .... and in this weather, it's more fun to be in the Miata :lol: :roll:

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

I was at the test/tune as well, noticed where you and the corolla where parked on my way out. Sorry I missed saying hello. I was the red #144 Miata.
I'm running 15" Azenis on my car, and commute 112 miles each day. It isn't bad in my opinion. I paid $230 shipped for all 4, they were on clearance to make room for the 615K model.

I'm real happy with them for the cost. I ran a 1:13 on Saturday once I figured out where i was going off course.
Paul G.

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 am

Cool! Awesome time! I mostly practised on the practise course because i) I was still driving the Miata like my Passat and ii) the queue for the timed run was just too long :lol: :lol: I'll come around and say hello next time. I've already signed up for the May event with the same group. Thanks for your review of the Falkens, I have now ordered some Toyo T1Rs so I can't wait to put these on and try them out on the course :D :D :D

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:03 pm

I have enjoyed the RT 615's on my Miata. I don't have any issues with them on the street. If you can, try to avoid the K models and get the originals - they are a hell of a lot cheaper, I paid around 65 a tire in 14 inches for my Miata last summer. The price increase this year is absurd, but it was expected.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

paultg wrote: I ran a 1:13 on Saturday once I figured out where i was going off course.
:shock: on a Miata? What track configuration??? and what's on your Miata???
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:04 pm

^Autocross,Stephan.. :wink:

agrabau
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by agrabau » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Falken 615s (cheapest)
Star Spec Dunlops (highest test ratings)
Michelin Pilot Sport cups (fastest tire in Redline Time Attack Street Class)
Alex Grabau
BMW E30 M3 FIA GR.H

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

StephanAlfa wrote:
paultg wrote: I ran a 1:13 on Saturday once I figured out where i was going off course.
:shock: on a Miata? What track configuration??? and what's on your Miata???
Haha. Yes miata, ummm, track conf. was skip turns 4-9 by zipping through the barriers at 3 at NHMS park, and well I'm Italian! :)

Paul G.
Paul G.