What COM folks are building...

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: What COM folks are building...

Post by jlwhorf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Come on Marcus, for the time it took you write you penultimate post, you could have gone down to your local race shop, have them cut a length to size in the material for your choice, thread the ends, and hand it to you.

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I find it so much faster (and easier on my brain) to do a quick solid model of the part and let the software do it's thing.
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Well I have the other part in my hand, I just wondered why it was a different size and if it was replaced to be safer. Wish I had some software to do FEA and other stuff, but I don't so have to rely on getting an idea of how to figure it out. I come from the border of the slide rule and calculator generation.

Heh, Heh, he said penultimate.

OK, I'm blathering. I need to go out to the garage and train my newts to walk along the bent rod and tell me how long it is. Then figure out if that's in metric or not and then set the other rod to the same length so I can avoid aligning things. Oh heck, it's probably the same length wether it's metric or not.

JLWorf, have you built anything for your car this winter? I'm cooped inside with small children crawling all over me. Do you ever run Castrol in your car? I miss the smell. Maybe I could modify an old motorcycle oil injection for my FF exhaust.

A little embarrassed I didn't think of going to a race shop for the radius rod, in the past we just started with stock and a lathe to make the bungs etc...
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 pm

horizenjob wrote:Well I have the other part in my hand, I just wondered why it was a different size and if it was replaced to be safer. Wish I had some software to do FEA and other stuff, but I don't so have to rely on getting an idea of how to figure it out. I come from the border of the slide rule and calculator generation.
I still have a slide rule in my desk. I use it to scare the new engineers.
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

John F wrote: I still have a slide rule in my desk. I use it to scare the new engineers.
:lol: :lol:

At 34 and doing HVAC design/engineering since 1998 (college co-op) I don't consider myself new, but this made me laugh. I know what you are talking about at least, but I don't think I've ever seen one in person!

Love the stories of folks bringing them in for their PE exam (and dropping/breaking it)! :shock:
Paul G.

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 pm

but I don't think I've ever seen one in person!
Geez..., way to hurt a guy. It's hard to imagine it would break if you dropped it though. So for those who have never used one, they have a small advantage in that you have to figure the decimal point or power of ten in your head as you go along. It teaches you to keep an eye on your math and apply a reasonableness test to it as you go. The other day on another forum we did the math for this strength of columns stuff. The first post indicated that a 1" square .063 tube would support over 80,000 pounds. It might well do that, but not until it was flattened into a 1" square...

They didn't use to let us use calculators in school, it was cheating... :)
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:22 am

horizenjob wrote:They didn't use to let us use calculators in school, it was cheating... :)
They didn't have calculators when I was in school. You're absolutely right about having to have a realistic idea of the power of the answer ahead of time!

Gee, I didn't feel this old yesterday :roll:
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:40 am

My high school had a "computer room" and you had to sign a waiting list to use the thing. I didn't see anything in there that would burn rubber,so I never signed up... :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm

I still have my slide rule :D dropped it many times, never broke. Calculators were just becoming available when I took my PE test (passed it) but I used my trusty slide rule plus the calculator cost $100- for one with square root :!:
While in college we had a computer room but you had to do your card punching in a differant room , remember computer punch card ? :evil: :evil:
Never know of anybody breaking their slide rule during the 2 day PE/EIT test.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, I certainly didn't want to make anyone in here feel bad (or old). I have ALOT of respect for the experienced folks I continue to learn from everyday at my job (steam design is like an art, and finding someone who knows how to do it is like gold). I find myself struggling alot because the teaching process when I attended school was less focused on calculating the numbers and more on data entry, and so is the job these days (less time, time is money, use this rule of thumb, go go go). Even now I have to requests younger folks helping me with energy/load calculations or layout out ductwork take a step back from the computer sometimes and just write down a few equations and think about what makes sense instead of putting all the focus on the data entry and check boxes, etc. you need to make the "tool" provide the correct output.

One of my earlier professors (he was retired back in 1996, probably in his late 60s) said he had broke his slide rule going into the exam. I assumed it was made out of glass instead of something like plastic, metal or wood. Maybe he was just hyping up the "remember when" story for our attention to help stress the point of bring extra batteries to our exams.

Paul G.
Paul G.

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm

timmmy wrote:
Over at roadraceautox, they are drooling all over this... hope to see you with the car this spring!

http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=27570
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 pm

While browsing on that link/thread ^ ...I came across this... :shock: I'll bet that thing would suck a Miata right in... :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm

:shock: Where is that sourced from... a Saturn V fuel pump???
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Hey I know that car :)

Thanks for the link to another site talking abotu my project, im off to check it out...

There are actually quite a few old school Audis out there running this sort of setup now (GT42RS) etc. They regularly make 600-800+AWHP :) They also run 25-45psi!

I thought you might like this one too.....

VNS variable vane turbo (From a TD cummins truck motor)

and this twin turbo V8 Coupe in NH

And a friends little 500WHP, 2500lb NASA GTS5 coupe
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

agrabau
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by agrabau » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:39 pm

It would be nice to see some of these cars in PB.
Alex Grabau
BMW E30 M3 FIA GR.H