Car classing

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:20 am

DanB wrote:ACK, wait, don't order ST1 stickers! Was just joking, I have no authority to change the rules!
Ya know, if my amazing, sexy, blonde wife was not hand feeing me chocolate cake right now i'd be angry. And yes she is really doing that, and is now laughing as she is reading this.

Ok, will order SGTG or SSGT or 0U812 or whatever class i am n. Maybe i should just sticker the car "No Class."

Oops, my wife just dropped the cake in my... i gotta go!
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:52 am

mmm... cake... (drool)

:oops: Sorry for the mis/disinformation :oops:

You can find the rules chair in the Officer/Member Directory (I think it's Herb D?), but I dunno if there's any hope for reclassing a car if it's already specifically classed in the '06 rules. Certainly worth a shot, though.

There are definite misclassifications in the rules, which is I guess all but inevitable. In another discussion in these forums, I discovered that the NA '84-'89 300ZX is in SSGT, where it clearly should be SSA with the same-era RX-7 NA.

The question is whether or not there can be "corrections" made mid-year. I'd definitely ask.
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:50 am

DanB wrote:I'll make ALL a y'all happy:

SP classes:
SPC: up to 2.4 liters
SPB: up to 4.0 liters
SPA: unlimited
1.5 equivalency multiplier for supercharged, 2.0 for turbo

Dere ya go, 1.6 SC MR-2 w/ motor mods is now in SPC!

<snip>

Tommy, can you fit a 2.0 turbo in a first-gen Mr. 2? That'd be fun I bet...
Hey Dan!

Long time no see...hope all's well...

Ironically, 'instead' of swapping the 2l 3SGTE from a MkII, I turboed my 1.6l (blew off the SCer...no pun intended). The 2l swap has been done succesfully but does cause some issues such as slightly higher CG, weird CV angles, etc. Its really more of a swap done for street or drag racing...not road course.

Still, the car runs pretty strong with the piddly 1.6l turbo motor...so no complaints. To revisit my earlier SC vs Turbo discourse, up from 175rwhp to 255rwhp....at same 15psi. But yes, its very peaky and often off-boost (below 5k)

Anyhow, my suggestion is not so much with myself at the forefront anymore, and of course I accept that with my, um, questionable skills, I'm still easily smoked by a 3.8l 911, or 2.5l turbo car.

Kidding aside however, I was simply intimating that any displacement related formula (even if unfair to me in particular...this is key here), is vastly more equitable than counting holes in an engine. Your suggestion isn't bad, but still only 3 levels

An initial suggestion for a 4 level SP structure would be:

SPD ..2.0l NA
SPC ..2.8l NA / 2.0l T
SPB ..3.8l NA / 2.8l T
SPA.. the rest

This, based on the cars that I actually see out there...and if it requires revision when some new killer car hits the tracks, then so be it.

"If" someone cheats and drills bigger holes in their engine...so what? they've added 200cc? Still far less performance disparity than under the current structure and more within the spirit of a sporting 'club' rule structure.

Another thing I'll thow out here is (I can already hear the disention), is that since this is after all "Street Prepared", the cars should be plated and have valid registration certificates.
Otherwise, its "Prepared".

Finally, if people start showing up with Hennessey Vipers (or similar), then instead of using 4 classes, there should be consideration for a 5th, SPU class....same way that classes are added at the lower levels, and so on....
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:30 am

mr2sc wrote:Another thing I'll thow out here is (I can already hear the disention), is that since this is after all "Street Prepared", the cars should be plated and have valid registration certificates.
Otherwise, its "Prepared".
Agreed! There are some things that can be done to the car here, but that would not make it DOT legal and the car is also used as a daily beater in the summer.

Hope Herb is reading this thread. Just checked my Race Log book and indeed was SSGT last year and will run the same this year. Herb and i discussed my car for a while before i entered my first event with COM last year. No engine or tranny mods, just suspension and those 20 year old oil/water coolers needed to be replaced.

FYI: Know of a few guys who turbo'ed the same car to go from 240HP to about 350HP, and another who did some major mods to go blown and dyno'ed 500HP(!).
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Registered...

Post by kfoote » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 pm

I disagree on the SP cars having to be registered and plated. Many cars in the SP classes that are nowhere near the limits of the rules would be bounced to P, including ALL of the spec Miatas. Also, would this bump my SS car, which is not even prepped to the limit of the COM SS rules, to P. The only reason for me not registering the car is because in order to do so at a minimum I would have to spend $2000 on air bags that I have to take out to race.
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

MRLM3

Post by MRLM3 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:40 pm

I agree with Kevin on this. You would end up pushing race prepped cars like the Spec Miatas to Prepared. My BMW would also have been pushed into Prepared when it is no where close to being maxed out in SP because of the BMW prepared class rules that the car runs under. If you required a car to be "street legal", then you would have to create a separate set of rules for "race cars" that would have no inherent performance advantage over similarly prepped street legal cars as the rules are currently written.