Wanted: Miata for newbie

THE place to sell it, buy it, or give it away.
cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Wanted: Miata for newbie

Post by cuppatea » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Hello all,

I've started trying out some track days and autocrossing in the last few months and am now convinced that I need a Miata too. :D So I'm looking for an old and cheap Miata for me to learn on. If any of you have any suggestions/available cars, I would love to hear more about it.

Ta,
Ivy

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Wanted: Miata for newbie

Post by brucesallen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:22 pm

check also SCCA web sites and forum and our COM member Leos Kubec at http://www.expolineauto.com/ . He can find you one at auction.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Craigslist is great as well; and there is a ton of great information here under "Buying a used miata":
http://www.miata.net/garage/garagebuying.html

I'd recommend staying away from auction cars as decent cars with owner history can be purchased pretty cheap these days (depending on what year/options you want). If I were to buy another one (to replace mine) I'd look for a 94-95 1.8L car down south (or west) where there is no winter/rust and spend the extra money on a plane ticket. I'm just jaded though cause every time I touch mine the bolts break! :roll:
Paul G.

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks heaps Bruce & Paul! I have been looking at Craigslist but I didn't know about the auctions so I'll look into that.

cheers,
Ivy

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Like Paul has mentioned,be very very careful of cars with rust. I have seen a few Miatas come through the local dealer only auction I attend and they were downright SCARY! :shock: :shock: They were old,and cheap..but nothing you ever want in your life. You will be better off finding one that has been lovingly owned and possibly has some of the upgrades you will be adding.Pay a little more up front and you will not regret it. :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

3B'dB3
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 3B'dB3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:59 pm

I know of a cheap miata!
Im calling the guy right now for you.
Evan N.
1990 Miata

3B'dB3
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 3B'dB3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Really sorry Ivy,
My friend that helped me install my rollbar sold his mazda last saturday, Its the only cheap miata I knew of.
I found mine on craigslist, 1990 60K miles, no rust. but it was 3k. (mine also serves as a Daily so I didnt mind laying down the dough)
Ive lusted after a few potential track rats on CL that were as cheap as half that.
Beware: miatas are a gateway drug.

PS: were you the one driving the passat at the last even at NHMS?
Evan N.
1990 Miata

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Leos treated me very well. '91 North Carolina car, 76k, no rust, small dents, roll bar, exhaust, new folding top, new brakes and rotors (EBC), new KYB adjustables, great stereo for $3400.

When I killed the clutch at NHIS on the first track day he put in a new Mazdaspeed and flywheel for super cheap money because he said he felt bad about me losing track time. Tell him you want to run with COM.
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:40 am

Hi Ivy: I can second (or third) the suggestion to talk to Leos. My first Miata came from him, ad when I needed an engine this year, he had one at a decent price.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 am

Wow ! This is awesome! Thanks heaps guys for all your suggestions. I will inspect the 'potential cars' carefully before I buy them. Unfortunately I'm addicted already so I guess the Miata is just the next step :wink:

And yes, I was driving the Passat at the last NHMS event and so no prizes for guessing why I'm thinking of a Miata :lol: Don't get me wrong, the Passat is a great car, it's just a tad too cushy for track or autocross driving.

cheerio,
Ivy
ps/ I was thinking of paying ~$3K because it would be my daily driver as well so I wasn't thinking of going too cheap. I will go talk to Leos if I can't find anything nearer to me this week. CT is a very small state.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

You can peruse Craigslist..there are a few...just a quick glance found these:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/1439858648.html

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/1458921624.html

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/1458425933.html

The 1997 sounds ideal. Check for rust... :shock:

3B'dB3
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 3B'dB3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Ive driven a few passats, but never ever on a track. I cant imagine how it felt.
I bet it sure was comfortable though ;)

I think I met you briefly as we were both going for rides with Haydn.
Anyways, goodluck finding the right miata!
Evan N.
1990 Miata

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks breakaway500. I saw the ad this morning and I actually just spoke on the phone to the dude who's selling the '97 Miata and he says that there's a small spot of rust on the undercarriage so I might go and check it out later this weekend. Thanks again :)

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Ivy,

My wife and I have actually been discussing selling our red 96 Miata. I actually used it my first year with COM and a few years of auto-X before that. It has 100K now (32K when I got it in 1999) and already has upgraded suspension and a 1 of a kind custom roll bar that I designed and built. Oh and no rust. It has been a great car that we will most likely replace with another Miata. Let me know if you are interested.

Gordon
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey..what a coincidence! I bought this 1994 Miata at auction today.It was traded into Baker Caddilac..109k miles,clean,5 speed 1.8L, PS ,A/C. Have only given it a preliminary look,but is def in your price range. I'll check it out further this week on the lift.You can call me if interested; 508-882-3488 Mark. Hmm..a small block Ford would look nice under that hood... :shock:

Some ass-hat took the radio face display during the auction, as it was on there earlier. Might be able to score one on Ebay.