Season Pass?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
blindsidefive0

Season Pass?

Post by blindsidefive0 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Everyone - random question: has COMSCC ever considered doing a "season pass"? My friend brought this up, and I was thinking an "unlimited event" option for the price of ~4 2-day events would be pretty attractive. You might lose out on some cash from the few non-instructor time trialers who show up to most events each year. However, I would think you could get the people who show up to 2 NH events to pony up for the whole season. Also, from the club's point of view, you could get more cash up front.

Thoughts...?
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Season Pass?

Post by boltonite » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:Hi Everyone - random question: has COMSCC ever considered doing a "season pass"? My friend brought this up, and I was thinking an "unlimited event" option for the price of ~4 2-day events would be pretty attractive. You might lose out on some cash from the few non-instructor time trialers who show up to most events each year. However, I would think you could get the people who show up to 2 NH events to pony up for the whole season. Also, from the club's point of view, you could get more cash up front.
Thoughts...?
It has been considered, John Spain initiated a "full season" attendee discount that was publicized at the beginning of the season. There is at least one club (for-profit) that offers this type of deal, so it is something to consider.

This year efforts were focused on fiscal solvency and member outreach and recruitment. The mentor program, ride-alongs, car shows, 1st timer discounts, trackside BBQs, web site redesign and Four-Wheel DRIFT are all part of those efforts. I personally believe COM can do a bit more to support core members.

So stay tuned, your suggestions will not be ignored, nor given a polite but dismissive treatment . . .

Thank you for your input.

:wink: FF

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:56 pm

boltonite wrote:It has been considered, John Spain initiated a "full season" attendee discount that was publicized at the beginning of the season. There is at least one club (for-profit) that offers this type of deal, so it is something to consider.

This year efforts were focused on fiscal solvency and member outreach and recruitment. The mentor program, ride-alongs, car shows, 1st timer discounts, trackside BBQs, web site redesign and Four-Wheel DRIFT are all part of those efforts. I personally believe COM can do a bit more to support core members.

So stay tuned, your suggestions will not be ignored, nor given a polite but dismissive treatment . . .

Thank you for your input.

:wink: FF
Fred - thanks for the info. What kind of discount was offered at the beginning of the season?
I think this year's efforts made sense, and I think it worked. At least 2 of my friends have joined COMSCC in the last year. I think all of the above events should be carried on in 2010 - in addition we should collectively make an effort to hop on other forums (BMW, Subaru, Miata, etc.) and push COMSCC. Finally, I think the "season pass" option might help get the casual time trialer more involved.
- Nick

1999 Mazda Miata - T50

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:12 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:
Fred - thanks for the info. What kind of discount was offered at the beginning of the season?
The incentive was the following: If you attended all the NHMS events, you got day 2 of NHMS 5 for free. If you attended all the COM events, you got both days of NHMS 5 free.

rousespointer
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Season Pass suggestion

Post by rousespointer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Would it be a lot easier to administer a season pass program if there was one set price that had to be paid before April 1st, like a ski pass. It would cover all events, and give a $750 discount over the total cost of the inidividual weekends? The club gets some money up front, and many times people can't make all the events anyway.

Ron Le Blanc

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I think the directors are simply trying to provide members w/ the best rates for the best tracks at the best dates possible. A "season pass" is one way to encourage active participation and it might help w/ estimating attendance #s but the 2010 schedule is mostly "inked in" already and I doubt many members are prepared to commit to a "2010 Season Pass" right now, but I could be wrong. Getting $ upfront is helpful but rewarding "active members" is even nicer as well as being fair imo, I think the BoD would consider such a program if they perceived some grassroots interest in it.

FF

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Maybe they should continue the same incentive program as this year; attend all events,get a free 2 day NHMS..attend all NHMS events,get one free NHMS day? Not a season pass,but it is a good package.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jakesrodshop » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm

i think a season pass would be great, you could easily have different levels, ie all events, nhms events, etc
like was said earlier, have it to be paid by april 1st,
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:04 am

boltonite wrote:I think the directors are simply trying to provide members w/ the best rates for the best tracks at the best dates possible. A "season pass" is one way to encourage active participation and it might help w/ estimating attendance #s but the 2010 schedule is mostly "inked in" already and I doubt many members are prepared to commit to a "2010 Season Pass" right now, but I could be wrong. Getting $ upfront is helpful but rewarding "active members" is even nicer as well as being fair imo, I think the BoD would consider such a program if they perceived some grassroots interest in it.

FF
Fred - I totally agree.
Depending on the pricing of the season pass, you could have it available at any point in the season (similar to a ski pass). Even if you gave away 2 free events, or time trials were half off (or whatever), the incentive to buy before the first event is to get the most bang for the buck. I like this better than just a free pass at NHMS-5 because it's more flexible. You could also throw in unlimited free ride-along programs to encourage core members to get their friends and family hooked.

Depending on the discount, I would strongly consider it.
- Nick

1999 Mazda Miata - T50

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:24 am

Many of our members would be unable to "pony up" the cash for 5 to 6 events up front. Folks that is a big bunch of change. Many of our members have to "scrape" up their entry fees by the close of registration in order to attend events. That is not a bad thing folks, just reality! We should reward the "rich and famous" for having a healthy amount of cash 15 days prior to tax day at the expense of the majority of the membership? Piss poor idea IMO.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 pm

chaos4NH wrote:Many of our members would be unable to "pony up" the cash for 5 to 6 events up front. Folks that is a big bunch of change. Many of our members have to "scrape" up their entry fees by the close of registration in order to attend events. That is not a bad thing folks, just reality! We should reward the "rich and famous" for having a healthy amount of cash 15 days prior to tax day at the expense of the majority of the membership? Piss poor idea IMO.
I guess I didn't think of this as a reward for the "rich and famous" - it's a bit of money (probably around $2000-$2500), but maybe you could have optional payment plans. I don't really think of a ski pass (the best analogy I can think of) as rewarding the rich at the expense of the skier who only wants to go one or two days.
- Nick

1999 Mazda Miata - T50

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm

boltonite wrote:So stay tuned, your suggestions will not be ignored, nor given a polite but dismissive treatment . . .
chaos4NH wrote:Piss poor idea IMO.
Sam - I joined COM this year as I really liked the idea of a club that promotes good sportsmanship and general camaraderie. From the club's bylaws: "educate and be instrumental in motivating people through their natural interests and enthusiasm for motorsports to be better." Your response seems harsh...

As a new member I really liked Nick's idea - of course the structure and details would need to be hashed out, but it could definitely push folks who may normally only attend 2 or 3 events to attend a few more. Unless the club is operating each event at the exact break even point, I imagine both sides would benefit here. I am definitely not in the "rich and famous" group that you mentioned earlier, but still would consider doing more events if the pricing structure was right.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Hmmmm, yes reality is sometimes harsh. :shock: And I resemble that remark :lol: Honestly, $2000 -$3000 up front is out of reach of many of the members. I believe the reward should be as we decided this past season, i.e.: rewarding for attending events with free track time. That way the guys, like myself, on a monthly budget get to be rewarded. And there are no issues about car problems, family emergencies which would have to be figured in to the "season Pass".
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm

You could offer both. If you attend all the events of the year and don't have a "season pass",you get the last two day event free. The "season pass" holder would pay for..let's say...5.5 full events up front by a certain time and they would be able to run all the events of choice for the year,nothing refundable (except for track cancellations). Something like that.. don't know if the figures would work.. :sunny: 8) :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:49 pm

breakaway500 wrote:You could offer both. If you attend all the events of the year and don't have a "season pass",you get the last two day event free. The "season pass" holder would pay for..let's say...5.5 full events up front by a certain time and they would be able to run all the events of choice for the year,nothing refundable (except for track cancellations). Something like that.. don't know if the figures would work.. :sunny: 8) :sunny:
Excellent. A variety of options (why not discounted 2-packs or 3 packs...) will keep a variety of member's happy...everyone has a different situation.
- Nick

1999 Mazda Miata - T50