NHMS oct.31-nov.1

Any and all discussions concerning events.
StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: NHMS oct.31-nov.1

Post by StephanAlfa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:25 am

breakaway500 wrote:I need a stacker. :sunny:

I'm bringing desserts! :D
Hey Mark, it this for "BALLAST"??? :lol:

I am bringing BOTH set of dry and rain tires just in case..., I am hauling this time.
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Awesome event. The weather cooperated, several track records were [re]set and a few class championships decided by tenths of a seconds. Congrats to all the winners.

It was a record turnout for an end-of-season event, kudo's to the organizers who again beat the odds and got all the sessions and ~24 TT run groups staged and still managed to leave time for some open track (weird to see cars lapping with their headlights on), hopefully the DRIFT will capture more of the details and the drama.

I also wish to thank those who attended and assisted with the BBQ, I was a bit preoccupied but it was nice to meet so many new members and a few old ones -- there were at least 2-3 past club presidents and officers in attendance, it speaks volumes about the legacy and character of COM.

-Fred F

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:36 pm

The reason you were preoccupied was that you were making Chicken Sate that equalled anything I had in Indonesia or Malaysia.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanB » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Fred,
Thanks again for the cookout. I hadn't eaten all day when I got to it. Tres magnifique, and it might have saved my life!

Hey Frank, I sentcha a PM!
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:31 pm

PM'd you back.
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Thank you all! It was a blast!

Met great people, learned a ton, spent much time on the track, had great instruction from Marc,
got a chance to go solo for the first time, survived the first time trial,
enjoyed the costume BBQ (thanks Fred!), learned how to de-grease a track,
even received a shiny trophy in the end :wink:
will be back next season!

Hope I did not slow the fast people down too badly. Thinking about a faster car next spring.

Soon! Hope to see some of you sliding on a frozen lake or indoor karting to bridge winter!

Kai
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Not at all Kai. I had a blast watching you wing that car around the corners, lifting the inside rear tire at almost every turn. I was thinking to myself......Holy shite!!!!.....is that Corolla?!?!
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Troy: Yes, it always lifts the inside rear leg, like a dog on a light pole; fortunately, it does not leak :D ... it's worse at AutoX'es

(photo by Dan Mull)

Don P
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Don P » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Kai -

The most impressive thing about the photo is that you seem to have learned what it takes most others longer to learn; and that is you (one) drive with your eyes. Look at the head position --- perfect !! Were you ever a motorcyclist? Motorcyclist most often learn the lesson the hard way....
Don
"Senior" Instructor

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Don -

Thanks - I never rode motorcycles. One time I looked over my shoulder at the wrong time - riding my tricycle downhill aged 4, I jerked the handlebar and went airborne. I ride my bicycle a lot, that may have had a similar effect to a motor bike.

However, while autocrossing with Renegade Miata, I have been lucky enough to have Lee Walsh as an instructor, pointing and commanding "LOOK LEFT! LOOK RIGHT! LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER! ..." - THAT definitely helped!

I keep finding that turning one's head also helps tremendously on the track to get the braking and corner steering input right.

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:40 pm

I'd like to send out a thanks for all the patience, helping hands, advice and even tolerance while my brother and I sorted out his old Formula Ford. It's been six years since the last outing and only twice in the last 15-20 years, so the cobwebs were pretty thick. The event turned into a huge car control seminar for us, and I am still piecing it all together.

I think we had our tires over inflated, we never got any wear on the outside edges ( not even road contact ). I noticed after a practice late Saturday if you put your hands on our slicks the outside half was cold, especially on the left side of the car. Thinking about that now, I think that added up to some very tricky handling - if you put a good side load on the tire you got onto the cold rubber and lost your traction. With the left outsides cold, that added up to a real handful going over both hills.

Since we weren't up to speed we should not have been running pressures near what the hot pressure should be.?

The final insult to our pride is that despite practicing a bit with the GoPro, the only footage we were able to get is a rather lengthy in car discussion about turning off the battery to save power. Grrrr. Having a bystander then turn the camera on after being belted up might not work... LOL So if anyone wants to send pointers here for their youtube footage, at least I can watch myself being lapped... :)
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 pm

First time I came up behind that Corolla,I honestly thought it was going to tip over in turn 11,seriously! I backed way off.. :shock: Very good job piloting that Toyota tricycle! :wink:

Marcus,I think you need some fresh tires.Rubber just gets hard with age,and nothing will make them stick like fresh stuff. :sunny: :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Yikes! I had hoped that 'BooooooooH' crayoned on the rear window would be the scary part of the car, not my driving... sorry! :wink:

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:37 am

I don't think it's your driving. :wink: The only other time I have seen a Corolla look that out of shape was the local pizza delivery guy at the end of my street. :lol: I would say it is the nature of the car.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:40 am

I know :wink: they just do that. Turns out the base model I got has no front sway bar (little did I know). Anyway, I tried really atrocious things at an autox school and even if you are all the way in the bump stops, rear wheel 2 ft up, front inside wheel also hovering, it does always slide, not roll - at least with the Falken Azenis on. I won't move to R compounds though.

Apparently, Volkswagens (Rabbits, Sciroccos) have the same habit. This month's Sports Car Mag had a national solo champion Integra looking that way, too.