track car mufflers

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

track car mufflers

Post by dinoracer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:55 pm

Not looking to spend big money on "race car" mufflers. Anyone have a recommendation for small cheap sound control?

thanks
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:10 am

Tom, where will the exhaust exit ? If it's the side- I've found the supertrapps to be quiet enough and easy to fit to your needs. I just bought the end caps with the difuser discs, welded the setup to the appropriate tubing and made a quick connect slide connection. The bonus here is you can rip them off when you are in the stix and need to hear the roar. I'm probably into each setup for under $70 each.

If you're exiting the back then just think about future mods like torque arm and/or panhard bar clearance.

Oh I forgot the best part, if you have side exhaust you can shoot your mufflers at corner workers...ask the corner worker at LRP noname straight.... I tried my best VP Cheney impersonation.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks Scott

I think I'm going out the side. Since the car's not ging to pass a state inspection anyway, I might as well have fun with it. I was thinking the supertraps, but they look a little too modern for my old school look. Plus I'm not looking to cap a corner worker :lol:

I'm looking for something that I can fit under the car, kind of like what the 65 GT350R uses only a little bigger.

tom
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Supertrapp

Post by brucesallen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Supertrapps are the cheapest way to get quick adjustable sound muffling. In my experience, thought, any more than a 6 dB reduction with Supertrapps causes a lot of horsepower robbing restriction. BUt at least you prevent a black flag. So, if possible us a long Supertrapp that comes with conventional glass pack and plates on the end. More plates equals louder and less restriction.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Tom,

I ran the 3 chamber flow masters on my Trans Am and It was quiet enough for every track I ran on. The mufflers came with the car when I bought it, but I believe they are not much more money than the supertrapp ends. And I am pretty sure they are cheaper than the glass packed supertrapps.

Jonathan
900 Monte Carlo PA