Preview of NHMS track layout Pics inside

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Neptune441
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Preview of NHMS track layout Pics inside

Post by Neptune441 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I just thought posting these pictures a few days before would make for some interesting opinions on what to expect now at NHMS, i was talking with Jeff who bought Gordons Black/ red miata today and he was running 135-125 at best but his opinion is that the turtles have really made things interesting. in anycase i wish everyone the very best in the July Time trials, would love to see some videos. Take care

Adrian Fitts
Mazdaspeed3 Live free and Zoom Zoom
Adrian
2008 STI SPB Ballistic Motorsports Built

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Preview of NHMS track layout Pics inside

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:59 am

Turn 3 looks like a tire tunnel! Interesting... 8)
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Neptune441
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Neptune441 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 am

ya, it appears like a longer/ sweeping corner.the kicker they moved the bleachers back a ways and you can't see cars entering that turn, if youre going tomorrow you'll see.
Adrian

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:22 am

I have heard from a turn 3 flagger that the flag station is moved around the corner to be directly in the driver's line of sight and the flaggers will have a better view of the spins after 3 apex.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 pm

So this actually constitues a "refursbished track" and now subject to NEW track records ALL OVER right? :D :D :D
I remember in 2001 (?) when they resurfaced NHIS and it was a new start for records. This one should be the same. It rained on that 1sr event and I got track record on the "deluge" as it was mentioned (SSB class in those day). :wink:
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

Neptune441
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Neptune441 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 pm

That would be nice Bruce, lets just hope all of us pedal driven gear heads can use momentum and not spin :lol: although i have to say once there's oil on the track forget it. Stephan, i'm looking foward to the new layout, and i hate to say it but your alfa might benefit from the revisions... lol you'll have to post a video like you did last time in the drift report. OH one more thing , Does this constitute as a revision in your powerpoints now?
Adrian

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Neptune441 wrote:That would be nice Bruce, lets just hope all of us pedal driven gear heads can use momentum and not spin :lol: although i have to say once there's oil on the track forget it. Stephan, i'm looking foward to the new layout, and i hate to say it but your alfa might benefit from the revisions... lol you'll have to post a video like you did last time in the drift report. OH one more thing , Does this constitute as a revision in your powerpoints now?
I am looking forward to it. Maybe faster exit speed?
I am working on it now but.. no new track map to speak of so will have to improvise and get feedback fomr the instructors when they go out on their 1st run.

Neptune441
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Neptune441 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Excellent. Well best of luck to you tomorrow sir. i'll toot my horn as i pass by in the morning , unfortunately class got in the way of these 2 days.

Turn 1 -2a-2b seems like majority of the BMW club utilized the new pavement for that turn however i'd be a bit more conservative and utilize some of the old stuff so you can position yourself better for turn 3. I was told on the track out on turn 3 that it puts you closer to the wall now... i'd be interested to know what everyone's take on it is. Glad i could post some pictures and stirr up some good conversation.
Adrian

jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by jadams » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Is it just me, or is there something missing from the new addition to turn 1, 1A, and 2? FRom the photos, it sure looks like the track leads right up to the new black chainlink fence without any kind of a barrier there. On top of that, there are picnic tables sitting right there.....so there is only a chainlink fence between you, your lunch, and a car careening out of control. :roll: Maybe I am missing something, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

Neptune441
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Neptune441 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm glad someone else picked up on this i was thinking the same thing, another thing too is from a viewing point turn 3 is pushed back so the crowd can't see you enter turn 3 and go up the hill like it used to be, and with the pond not being there now where you were saying i can actually walk and feel like i am on the race track, very bizzare, but makes for great pictures there's two entrance gates now on turn 2a-b one between the fuel tanks like there was normally and the other is down further towards 1, all that seperates the chain link fence and the picnic table is a short barrier of tires, i know someone will make use of the infield grass one time or another comming in too hot to turn 2a
Adrian

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm

By the time you get anywhere near those tables you'd be going too slow to do much damage -- the entry for T1 feels like a decreasing radius w/ a VERY short distance between the exit and the sharp right you need to make for 2a (if you want a decent entry/exit out of 2b). I guess the entry into 1 is defined by cones/tires that can be moved/relocated, but regardless T1 has been pushed forward and left, making 2A a lot closer/tighter than before. I'd guess lap times will be 1-2 seconds slower w/ this new config.
-FF

Crusin
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Crusin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 pm

boltonite wrote:By the time you get anywhere near those tables you'd be going too slow to do much damage -- the entry for T1 feels like a decreasing radius w/ a VERY short distance between the exit and the sharp right you need to make for 2a (if you want a decent entry/exit out of 2b). I guess the entry into 1 is defined by cones/tires that can be moved/relocated, but regardless T1 has been pushed forward and left, making 2A a lot closer/tighter than before. I'd guess lap times will be 1-2 seconds slower w/ this new config.
-FF
Agree completely. Slow in and fast out. Carry as much speed off the front straight into T1 but brake before T2 to set up the exit at 2B. Smooth flow thru the turns is hard to find.

brownMINI
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by brownMINI » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 am

It's too late for those that are there today, but here's some in-car from my ST4 MINI Cooper (not S) of the new chicane from the BMWCCA event on Sunday / Monday:

The first left is now greater than 90°. It looks like there is no longer a good "low" line into turn 1.

The new black pavement was very slippery. The oils were still leaching out of it on Sunday / Monday as it was the first warm / sunny weather since the pavement was put in.

It looked like overall lap times were slower by ~2 seconds. But that could prove to be wrong.

Jason
Last edited by brownMINI on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownMINI
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by brownMINI » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

Turn 3 is the same as before... at least I think so after driving it. :lol:

The flag station for 3 moved because they made the wall on the outside of 3 taller, and the flaggers can't see over it anymore. :roll: You also cannot see as much standing in the infield anymore.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 pm

New turn 1 and 2a turned out not to be slippery at all.
Some found new grip after today's event and eventhough all were new track records there were some that even did better time that before the changes on 1 and 2a at NHMS.
I also found a slight bump just prior to the apex of turn 12 with that new patch of asphalt.