miata front hubs

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Barry
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

miata front hubs

Post by Barry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Will or Les my front hubs feel tight and smooth how often do they need to be replaced ? Can I replace the berings
or the complete hub assembly. Thanks Barry

Don P
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: miata front hubs

Post by Don P » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 am

The whole assy is replaced. Buy one (or two) hub assys, keep them with your tools/spares. When a hub fails you'll know it. Replacement takes 15 minutes maybe, including jacking the car.
Don
"Senior" Instructor

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Barry,

As usual, Don is spot-on.

Other than making sure the dust caps are in place, there is no real preventative maintenance on the hubs. That said, you are very smart to pay attention to them every now and again, and especially while getting the car ready for the season. :)

As Don mentioned, a hub can go from bad to worse in short order. You'll hear it howl and then start to vibrate. Track-side service to the hub is not a problem, provided that you have a spare hub, new hub nut, dust cap, and the tools for the job (including a 23mm(?) socket, long breaker bar, and jack-handle extension to loosen the bad hub. The new hub should be installed to a relatively modest torque setting (I forget the spec, 70 lb-ft(?)), driven for an event, retorqued, and then peened. Rear hubs are a different story and can be difficult to remove, even with the proper tools and tons of power.

Applied Racing Technology sells blue-printed hubs which are rebuilt with higher quality ball bearings and packed with a high-quality (Redline) synthetic grease. The price seems steep, but is not *that* much higher than stock hubs.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 pm

I just did the hubs on mine. Will, the torque is 150ft-lbs. As Don says its an easy job, with the right tools. I zipped the hub nuts off with an electric impact wrench. Just don't forget to "un-stake" the tang before trying to remove the nut. Use a new nut with a new hub.

Will did you notice any play after a session...I already staked my nuts. :oops: :roll:

One of mine has some axial play but passed inspection. After removal I noticed the bearings where quite loose! I got to keep a closer eye on them. If you have a few seasons on them I would consider changing them. Your mileage may vary.....
T30 #32 Miata: The Red and Yellow Machine!

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:34 pm

I put the ART blueprinted hubs on my car a few months ago for this season :D Gonna test them out at Summit Point next weekend to see if I torqued them tight enough...
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

tommac
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by tommac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 pm

now they tell me. I have a NC geneation and I've been told by Goodwin Racing that you should change every racing season. Yes, get spares and carry them. All the spec miata guys carry them. I learned the hard way, almost missed a second day of track time due to a failure. Tom

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:08 am

Are all NA and NB Miata hubs the same?
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 pm

breakaway500 wrote:Are all NA and NB Miata hubs the same?
Yes.
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!