Complete & Utter Newbie Looks for Direction

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Complete & Utter Newbie Looks for Direction

Post by 6PAK72 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:57 am

So, after 3 years of careful resto-mod, my wife and I have a 1972 TR6 that we think conforms precisely to the ST reg's. Couple of things we need help on, and would appreciate input:

1. Arm restraints - sources?
2. What's the first classroom date for 2009?
3. Anyone on the Brit side - we could use coaching and direction.

Thanks, we look forward to meeting and contributing.

Jeff & Liz
Wilton, NH
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Complete & Utter Newbie Looks for Direction

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:55 pm

1. These...? Image

No? :D ..I suppose you mean these...Image

Link... http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/raci ... restraints

2. I don't think the new schedule is set yet,but it's usually early April at NHMS,and hopefully it does not snow...

3.My Ariel is Brit,although quite different than your TR6...and '08 was my first with the club,so I'm not sure how much help I'll be. Best advice I can give you is make sure your car is ready (good brakes,tires,suspension etc) and you are familiar with its workings.

You will find most COM members helpfull and the instructors a wealth of knowledge!
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:22 pm

April 4-5 weekend at NHMS is first school and a weekend. Mark Wheatley is your man. Many years running his nice TR4- see the British cup records. He lives in Nashua. Construction. I don't have any other contact info.
Remember that convertibles require roll bars.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Roll Bar spec's?

Post by 6PAK72 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks for the catch up info! I appreciate it.

My prior experience with restraints is limited to the hard steel ones usually latched behind my back.... :(

I've read the rule book pretty closely, but there's nothing like practice and advice.

Car is prepped carefully - full replacement on suspension, brakes, bushings, bearings, rack, hubs, spindles, U-joints, rear axle assemblies; motor, transmission and diff. mounts; shock mounting points have been filleted both front and rear; wheels and tires are new and of high quality; frame was IR-specc'd for cracks.

For the roll bar spec, the car came with a PAECO 2.5"d 4-point mount rollbar. I think it qualifies in some regards - it does not break the firewall nor fuel wall, it bolts ahead of the rear tires with Grade 8, 5/8" bolts, directly to the frame hump. It does NOT have a lateral coming forward of the perpendicular plane, which looks to me like is required only in the prep levels we are not running at - full modified, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Attachments
2:48 at Watkins June 08 at open track day.
2:48 at Watkins June 08 at open track day.
TR6WatkinsLO.jpg (200.17 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Looks lovely. You are gonna have a ball.... as soon as you learn to sit on the left side.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Awesome looking car- I have promised myself that I will own a TR6 before I die- damn I'm halfway there- I better get moving. Welcome to the club.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Sounds like the roll bar should be fine.I believe it needs to be padded close to the head area and make sure your helmetted head does not protrude above it :shock: I had to lower my Miatas seat to get low enough to pass tech (with the BMWCCA) Looks like you will have to tape those glass headlights too. Don't forget you will need two sets of arm restraints(for you and your instructor).

I always had a soft spot for the TR6's. 8)

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Roll Bars, Lions TIgers and Bears, Oh My!

Post by 6PAK72 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:57 pm

I figured on the headlights. These actually are Lucas acrylic with the H4 bulb-ins from the rear, but we had to tape at Watkins in the spring.

Thanks for the feedback about the roll bar, I checked my head (4" taller than my wife) and I'm more than the 2" under the rollbar required.

What other things should we be addressing this winter for safety and compliance?

Thanks for the welcome - the car was certainly a labor of love, not rationality! We could have bought 2 325's for what we put into rebuilding it, but it is a beautiful design. I grew up driving American Heavy Iron (69 Charger, 64 Cutlass, 70 Ford...) and the only 2 sportscars I really was jazzed by were the TR6 and the XKE.

Funny thing, my Mom raced a TD in the 60's with her brother so I grew up with 3 MG's at home. I never really warmed to them, though the MGB-GT is a nice ride!
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:09 pm

If the lights are plastic,they won't have to be taped (I thought they were glass)

You may want to consider SS (street stock class) as ST (street touring) allows more mods,unless your car has perf. mods?

I'm guessing SSC would be your home, as SSB has Triumph TR8's listed. SSC does not say TR6,but it does say GT6 (and 4cyl Truimphs as well)

Safety; Helmet needs to be M2000 or better (they prefer SA rated)
Must wear long sleeve shirts,NOT of nylon construction.
Goggles or faceshield if not stock windshield.Glasses/sunglasses OK if stock windshield.

Is it spring yet :lol:

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Car looks great, welcome to the club!

We have a few Brits sprinkled about the club, some of them are even friendly at times. ;)

Great to hear that you've done some research and have read the rulebook. Thanks for posting questions and giving us an opportunity to welcome you. Gives us something to do in the off season!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:51 pm

breakaway500 wrote:If the lights are plastic,they won't have to be taped (I thought they were glass)
You may want to consider SS (street stock class) as ST (street touring) allows more mods,unless your car has perf. mods?
I'm guessing SSC would be your home, as SSB has Triumph TR8's listed. SSC does not say TR6,but it does say GT6 (and 4cyl Truimphs as well)
Safety; Helmet needs to be M2000 or better (they prefer SA rated)
Must wear long sleeve shirts,NOT of nylon construction.
Goggles or faceshield if not stock windshield.Glasses/sunglasses OK if stock windshield.
Is it spring yet :lol:
Er... I'd love some non-Miata competition in SSC but if the TR-6 is a 6 cylinder machine then I am afraid if won't be in SSC class. Also your wheels look to be wider than spec so if you want to keep in SS class best to read the rules just to be sure.
I looked at the rule book and is not specified... there is TR-8 and TR-4 and GT6 but no TR-6.
Takealook: http://www.comscc.org/rules/rulebooks/rules2008-r02.pdf

Mark W. is indeed your Triumph man.
Lovely car .... but I still like the Alfa :wink: :lol:
Cheers... or rather Saluti! 8)
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:08 am

Stephan,the Triumph GT6 is a six cyl car.It is basically a Spitfire with a 6cyl. engine from the factory.Image

I don't see why the TR6 would not be in the same class,no?

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Stephan ; There are several cars listed in SSC that are 6 cylinder cars :D I also think you will find that the GT6 is faster around the track than the TR6. The TR6 did have wide wheels with red line tires when new. I know because I've owned 2 of them. :lol:

I would think Jeff and Liz would be in SSC and welcome to the club.

Stephan don't worry about running against the Triumph, I'm sure your Alfa will still win the leaning contest :wink:
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

ChrisS
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Roll Bars, Lions TIgers and Bears, Oh My!

Post by ChrisS » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm

6PAK72 wrote:Funny thing, my Mom raced a TD in the 60's with her brother so I grew up with 3 MG's at home. I never really warmed to them, though the MGB-GT is a nice ride!
Now there is no need to pick on MG's.
'71 MG Midget, ST7, SPC, PC, ah hell it's the slow white one leaking oil...
I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:57 am

Thank you all for the welcomes. We're sticking our toes in pretty hot and fast water, and are truly hoping to learn and have fun.

We are reading the book, some of the explanations are a bit distant for a complete freshman. Again, thanks for filling in the blanks.

The car is pretty prepped We pulled 25 pounds out of the reciprocating mass, overdrilled to the SCCA limit, dropped, ported, 276-degree cam, 1:55 roller rockers, carillo rods, shortened pistons @ 11:1 compression, aluminum flywheel and indexing. We're dyno-working it now to get optimum carburation with the twin Stromberg 175's which have been re-jetted with Jaguar B2E needles and Grose jets. We're getting about 161hp out of it.

Complete suspension rebuild with a balanced frame, 540/440 springs, titanium stub axles, aluminum hubs and rear IRS axles, Datsun 240 5-spline rear end, Goodparts adjustable caster and camber sets, adjustable swaybars, Spax and Koni shocks, Brembo-Alfin brake setup running Green Stuff pads. Tires Goodrich AA compound shaved 17 x 7, are as wide as allowed, on zero-offset Kuni wheels.

The GT6 is about 600 pounds lighter, slightly shorter, and ran 2-3 second faster laps historically. However, it DID lose rear axles at an amazing rate.....At least in the historic races the TR and the GT were classed differently.

Last time we straightlined a Mazda, we beat it by 1.5 car lengths on the 1/4. We're running 13.2 at Epping before we rejetted and balanced the carbs. But then again, the Mazda costs about half what we have bled to restore this one. We thought about doing a Mazda...
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed