poll

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

poll

Post by 962porsche » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:10 am

how did you find out about comscc ? word of mouth for me

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: poll

Post by Dave_G » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 am

Dave
ST4 Miata #62

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am

O- thanks dave .

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:56 am

no wonder why i did not see it . its an old post before i became a member . but i did find out what i wanted to know . most of us found out about comscc by word of mouth . its a good way to permote . but there are other ways that i think the club could go to promote as well .

dinggos8mybaby
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by dinggos8mybaby » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Dave G convinced me to come up to Canada and try an event with COM, (I know him from Sports Car Club of Vermont). Although the first two turns at Mount Tremblant convinced me that driving around a real track is much better than an autoX...
Jared LeBlanc

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:07 pm

I saw a post on the Mazda3 boards about a COM event. The rest is history.

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:06 am

morrism wrote:I saw a post on the Mazda3 boards about a COM event. The rest is history.
I have been pushing COM on the Mazda3 forums for a couple of years. Those posts have brought us 5 new members. I think the various forums are an excellent spot to get the club exposure. I am still working on some of the Mazda3 autoxers!!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:17 pm

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm

i did find out what i wanted to know .on how did peaple find out about comscc . over 80 % is word of mouth . why does the club not advertise in mags. like grassroots motorsports ,porsche club , and so on ? its cheap to do . and if the club used the money from the sales of tees , hats , and other club swag . i think it would be even less money out of the clubs funds .

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm

962porsche wrote:i did find out what i wanted to know .on how did peaple find out about comscc . over 80 % is word of mouth . why does the club not advertise in mags. like grassroots motorsports ,porsche club , and so on ? its cheap to do . and if the club used the money from the sales of tees , hats , and other club swag . i think it would be even less money out of the clubs funds .
We have advertised in Grassroots! 3 or 4 issues last season. Did not receive a single membership or registration from what we could tell. Perhaps we reached more people, but the key is getting them to come to an event. This is where word-of-mouth referrals really help. There are a few barriers to entry for first-timers, and anxiety of what to expect and how they will be received is one of the biggest issues. If a friend tells them all about the club, then a big part of that barrier is taken down. We stopped advertising in GRM because we didn't get any play out of it. We have tried word-of-mouth campaigns in the past and received mixed results. We are working on doing a better job at that and are open to ideas!

I think COM decals, t-shirts, and swag are another thing that we can and will do better. :)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

WillM wrote:There are a few barriers to entry for first-timers, and anxiety of what to expect and how they will be received is one of the biggest issues. If a friend tells them all about the club, then a big part of that barrier is taken down.
I agree. I have found that whether justified or not, the reputation of COM among some beginners is that it is a more intimidating environment for first-timers than other clubs. I know several people who have opted for other HPDE clubs because they are put off by the competitive aspect of COM. Of course I point out what we all know, that you don't have to run in the time trial, that it's a remarkable, friendly group of people, that the instruction is first-rate, and that it could not be a more welcoming environment. The ones that I have gotten to come have enjoyed themselves and come back. But I think the point is that it sometimes takes a bit of encouragement to overcome the intimidation factor.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm

if some one inquirers about comscc .was there or is there an info packet to explain that to do and so on ? and a club member to follow up with a phone call or email ? i know there are alot of peaple that are not as out spoken as i . and would be timid about going to the track for the first time by them selfs . i know the first time i went to the track with comscc i was in the dark about alot of things . and i still am !!!!! i do know that when i first opend my shop i ran adds and thought it was doing nothing .but it was .it just took time for peaple to start calling from the adds i was running . about 8 months .peaple have to keep seeing the add . if comscc was just expecting some one to see the add and just sign up for an avant .that might be asking to much for a newbe ? . send out info packs and follow up with a phone call or email .i would be more than happy to do that for the club