Mosport- Who did 700 miles?

Any and all discussions concerning events.
offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Mosport- Who did 700 miles?

Post by offcamber09 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Anyone care to post a summary of how Mosport went? I reeeallly wanted to go. Any Jack Rosen moon launchings in turn 2? :lol:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:14 pm

I did 408 track miles over two days, and the car still runs! There were a lot of guys that did more than that.
Students got in 2.5 hours of track time the first day, and the rest of the time was open track, with about an hour of it being wet.
It rained like crazy overnight. Some campers were distressed.
Day 2 was mostly open track all day except for 1.5 hours for the time trial and a divided session in the morning, where the big bore guys went out and dried the track.
Lots of new track records were set, and there were only a few times that the wrecker had to go out and pick up parts.
Overall it was another awesome event.
I pulled into my driveway at nearly 2:00am, and had driven 700 miles by the time yesterday was over. I'm still tired.
-Carl

nhsilversti
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nhsilversti » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:58 pm

not me, 330 miles, 57 gallons of 93 octane, 3 gallons of methanol and 3 gallons of distilled water were used just in the STI
need parts for your trailer, welding repairs/fabrication (sorry cant do aluminum), tires mounted and balanced, feel free to email/pm me. i am located a little west of nashua. ted

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:19 pm

I got in 460 miles without trying too hard, including playing with all the big bore guys in the rain for an hour or so (it's fun when the rain takes away their power :wink: ). There were a few recurrences of the gravity shift in turn 2, nothing major though. Another great event, too bad you all missed it.
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm glad I set up camp inside my trailer. The rain was pretty spectacular.

Interestingly, I found the track to be slower for me on Tuesday than on Monday. Or maybe old worn-out V710s are faster than R5 Hoosiers?

I only did about 270 miles. I used 35 gallons of fuel - all 25 gallons I brought of 93, and only 10 of the 20 gallons I brought of 110. Let's not talk about the 100+ gallons of diesel there & back. Oh and about $6 (CAN) of pop-rivets to attempt repairs on my splitter.

Don't let anyone tell you those front splitters don't do anything. Mine has pulled the bumper away from the fender once, then broken the lip it attaches to (the pop=rivet job I attempted at the track) and now has broken away the whole bottom section of the front lip. Lot of pressure at 135mph+.
-Keith-

SPB116

nhsilversti
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nhsilversti » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 pm

keith reminds me, im very glad i put the ez-up over the tent monday night! i was happy to wake up tuesday morning with only a 1"x 7" puddle in the tent by the door. if i hadnt done this i just might have floated away.
need parts for your trailer, welding repairs/fabrication (sorry cant do aluminum), tires mounted and balanced, feel free to email/pm me. i am located a little west of nashua. ted

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:28 pm

375 miles & 60 gal unleaded... thankfully it rained, i saved some gas.. :roll:

after 7 hours of track time on mon, my brain was mush all day tues.
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:33 pm

435 miles of driving nirvana here.Some of those miles were Lou Ms', as his car was acting up,so he drove the weed wacker a session.

But it's the quality of those laps that really make all the difference.

Words do not do Mosport justice and neither do videos. There is NO WAY to show just how intimidating the blind corner entries are with drop offs except drive them at speed. :shock: and then do it a little faster...and without braking...and then ON the throttle...

Finding the rain line on Monday was an adventure. It basically required staying off the concrete sections with my car,or else. :twisted: It was like driving on a totally different race course. It was a very rewarding experience.

The after driving festivities were a lot of fun too. I smelled like a smoked ham tuesday after being punished by Teds awesome fire,which seemed to send the smoke at us no matter where we moved.Between the rain and the smoke, the bench racing continued ..... I learned Teds car likes the wet concrete and has straight cut gears,,Stephans has a new transmission and clutch and Dans car is indestructible (knock on wood) :wink:

Tuesday was a great day. A bit damp to start,but by open track practice just before time trials,the track was holding fine.

Time trials were only 9 run groups,so that left LOTS of open track time!!
Chasing Dan Darcy around was the highlight of the event for me. When we switched from cat to mouse,the checkered flag came out.Much too soon! What a ride!

Tuesday nite I learned all about two buck chuck...and 6 buck zin. Ohhh....wednesday morning came all too soon. :lol: It was c-o-l-d this morning too..is that frost? :shock:

I didn't think the border guards were going to let Dan and I cross as we certainly still wreaked of smoke and my eyes were beet red!Must have been the campfire smoke.. 8)

All in all a great event with scenery to die for along the way. Micks rt12 shortcut was home to the biggest wind farm I have ever seen, along with a real Cobra attack helicoptor on someones front lawn, more churches than you could count, a tin man on someones porch and some really BIG crows,about the size of a van just over the border. Yup,lots of local color.

It would be an absolute shame for COM to never go back to Mosport. You could sign me up right now.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for the update guys- sorry I missed it.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Hhhhhhmmmmm, who (and what) drove the first lap of the event? And the last? Read all about it in the next Drift!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

chrizz28
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by chrizz28 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm

429 miles and 55 gallons of 93 (A personal best on fuel mileage before dumping a pile of lugnuts on pit road). This was my first trip to Mosport but hopefully not my last. The weather was a lot better than the weather man promised so I can't be too mad about the wet laps. The staff at the track seemed friendly enough and were much more attentive to the blue flag situations than a lot of other tracks I've been to. (maybe I was just slower here) Plus this is the first track where 2 people reported the Camaro carried a front inside wheel.... lots of stick to be had!
2000 Camaro Z/28 #728

vinceroy
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by vinceroy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 am

422 miles of top down fun! :D The event was spectacular as usual. Big thanks to Sam, Mark, Will, Bill, Les, Carl and the others for organizing and keeping everything running smoothly.

Mosport is the best place on earth in my opinion. It is better than Disney World. We have to go back... in fact I will go back one way or another.

Vincent

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 pm

I had a blast. I "camped" inside my Ford Expedition (queen size mattress and very nice and DRY), but did put up a tent... to store my tools :shock:

Students had tons of track time and got to experience both wet and dry conditions with completely different racing lines so a well worth event to attend.

I am dying to get the video from Bill (I used his in inside my car but could not download the footage) where on the student run group we started on dry then got real wet and slippery. Bill got sideways right in front of me and did a nice corrections (he said Nate was totally unflinched 8) ) and then some nice footage of the Alfa in action at the rain (including some off track excursions at 5b :shock:
Overall a fantastic event.
TV coverage hopefully will get some of the locals to savour this in their own backyards.
The overnight at the track was also great for those who stayed (as narrated by others above).
Kudos to all

=D>
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

bhoss

Post by bhoss » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm

I did 418 miles and had a blast. Had a lot of fun in the wet but found that the in-between conditions - not quite wet and not quite dry - were very challenging.

I can see why the length of the drive keeps some people away but when you factor in the amount of track time that you get along with the quality of the track - it is well worth the drive.

Mosport is by far my favorite track and it would be a shame to take it off the schedule for 2009. The big questions is how do we sell Mosport to the club members who have not been there? Any suggestions?
Bill Hosselbarth
COM Secretary 2011
1994 Mazda Miata
#49 PC

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

MAKE THEM READ THIS POST...
People from the track are SUPER nice (there's Canadian hospitality for you!), the area is very close to Toronto (in case you decide to take extra days to visit) and near beautiful 1,000 Islands (on the way to and from Mosport). Just for starters.
Video footage from some of you who attended should be posted for additional confirmation on such a great place. :wink:
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)