Suggestions for new tracks thread

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

VIR vs M-O

Post by boltonite » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:13 am

VIR is marginally further than Mid Ohio but it takes longer to get there - the route betweeen Rt 95 and Danville VA is not a major highway and it seems to go on forever. Regardless, getting a date at M-O may not be any easier than WGI (and the rental fee is high, from what I've heard), but perhaps there are dates in mid September since the SCCA runoffs moved to Kansas.

IMO keeping every NHIS date available is the right thing for the club to do but I think having away dates at "nearby" tracks also serves the clubs' interests, especially if NHIS dates are fewer and if the club's popularity and membership is growing.

Might be interesting to see if two TT clubs (say, EMRA and COM) could team up for an away event (say, VIR) to get the numbers to work.

Fred F

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:38 am

MiataSteve wrote:Yes and Yes........
Single day events at Lime Rock or NHIS may be a way to fill out the schedule. Could be run like as Time Trial day.
I was thinking of having the 'school' day, not the time trial day. Either could work, but without the school day we limit participation. All non-licensed drivers must be signed off to solo during the school day in order to time trial the next day. If there is no school day, there won't be any students allowed at the time trial.

So far it seems that there is some support for heading to Mid-Ohio and/or VIR. Shannonville also seems like an option, but I do not know much at all about the track (the online prices seem right though!). Since there are some large holes in the COM's 2006 calendar, this may be the year to try one of these tracks.

There are 9 weeks between NHIS 1 (04/08) and Mosport (06/12), and 11+ weeks between Tremblant (08/03) and NHIS 3 (10/21)!!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:48 am

Shannonville also seems like an option, but I do not know much at all about the track (the online prices seem right though!).
Well, like I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been going there for many years. http://www.comscc.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 56643#1339
(I even included a link to my feeble in-car videos).

um, what else would you like to know? :dontknow:
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Mid Ohio dates

Post by offcamber09 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the vacated SCCA Runoffs dates were mostly filled in by NASA.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

other tracks

Post by ctkag » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:24 pm

As I stated in an earlier thread, I'm willing to travel to VIR, Mid-Ohio, and Beaverrun - Shannonville sounds interesting as well. Pocono would be a short haul for me - I can make it in about three hours from central CT.

Another +1 for 1-day sessions at LRP in the warm!
-Keith-

SPB116

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:09 pm

I would absolutely support making a bid to go to many of the tracks mentioned here especially VIR or Mid Ohio. Part of the learning experience is to see how quickly you can learn a new track, especially technical ones. Plus it would be so much fun to be able to run at tracks with great histories behind it. I think adding any of these would be great exposure for the club as well.

As for the 1 day events, why couldnt we do just a student day? I would actually propose that the club has at least 1 student 'weekend' a year to attract more new members. COM did this a couple years ago at NHIS and had a great turnout. This could be done at LRP for these 1 day events. By weekend it could be a 1 day event over a weekend where there is track availability, or a 2 day event aimed at students that straddles a weekend.
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Since nobody here seems familiar with SMP (Shannonville Motorsports Park), I thought I'd try to describe it a little..especially because my in-car videos on the PRO config may not have done it justice.

Despite its longish circuit length, the back straight is just 1/4mi long (and that is out of a 2nd gear hairpin, going into a 3rd gear right), the rest is somewhat tight, mostly 3rd gear corners and 2, 4th gear corners.

Despite being 'flat', it's VERY technical and therefore really rewards driving skill (Miatae?). High HP is not quite the runaway advantage it can be at some of the faster tracks.
Having said that, a friend's STi is an absolute weapon there, with great launches out of the 2nd gear hairpin onto the backstraight and because its relatively nimble compared to some of the B-I-G fat cars, it may have an advantage.

The place is pretty open, and you can view the whole facility from the paddock, making it easy to marshall and since there's really nothing to hit (cept each other?), its a place that I feel comfortable pushing a bit harder.

There are some really tricky sections (eg, double-apex, etc) that while not 'scary' if botched, must be nailed spot-on for a good lap. In fact, the whole place is like that...but when a rythym is achieved, it can be a blast.

Great place to learn and have fun as well as cheap to do an event.

Having said that, its not a place I do, or would want to do repeatedly each season (unlike say Mosport, or MT), but then, neither would NHIS be I guess (only tried that once 3yrs ago, and frankly, never felt it was worth the long trip back again). No flames please :roll:

Anyhow, I'd be happy to share anything else I can describe about it, or the area.

cheers and best to all for 06
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

Jimmy Pet
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by Jimmy Pet » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:24 pm

I'll throw this one out there,
I know it doesn't get a very good rap, but why not Pocono?

I'm a litttle biased since its 30 minutes from my driveway,,, but Pocono has some redeeming qualities.

1) Its a NASCAR track, so the paddock is huge, the facilities are nice (unilke say Lime Rock wich descends further into being an outright dump by the day).

2) Pocono has LOTS of different configuration options (which you guys being based at Cup track should be familiar with).
You can run:
North Course CW * the most "known" Pocono track I'd say
East Course CW & CCW *this is a GREAT TT track, best course there IMHO.
South Course CW & CCW
Double infields CW & CCW
Long Course CW & CCW

I am not sure of availability of dates (or costs), but I dont think its any worse than any other tracks. Due to the three courses probably better availability and cheaper than some Im sure.
I'll also bet its closer to most of the COM home base than say Summit.
And as I noted above,,, since COM calls NHIS home (a Cup track with road course sections),,, you guys should take to Pocono like fish to water.

Just throwing that one into the mix.
Cheers
jimmy pettinato
#98 BMW M3 - PC

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 pm

I found this link a while ago and it maybe worth an inquiry.
http://www.atlanticmotorsportpark.com
It is quite a haul and more miles than Mosport, but not as far as VIR or Mid Ohio. There is a ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth that would take some distance out of the journey.
http://www.catferry.com/

Jonathan
900 Monte Carlo PA

christine

Post by christine » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:15 pm

David DelGenio has tried to organize a track day at Atlantic Motorsport Park in the past, and AFAIK hasn't been able to generate sufficient interest.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful place, I've been there a couple of times, but the journey to VIR would seem less onerous to me.

There is ferry service to NS, but you'd probably have to book well in advance to get a truck & trailer onto it. Also it's not cheap (but the cost is somewhat offset by fuel savings).

Christine

MMiskoe
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by MMiskoe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:16 pm

COM did have Pocono dates in the past. The turn out was low, the price was high. Right there is a problem, then throw in the permanant fog cloud that surrounds the track which on a few occasions left it too foggy to safely run, but the track's attitude was "no refund since you were the ones deciding not to run".

I don't know what the paddock is like now, it used to be a dump. Only track I've ever been too that the garages were wetter than the asphalt outside. I suspect they have fixed that by now.

Crusin
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Crusin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:49 pm

The easiest way to get to Atlantic Motorsport Park is to drive, not take the ferry. The trip is mostly major divided highway. It is probably a 10 hour trip. The track rental is cheap, but like Lime Rock, there are no facilities. The last rental rate I heard was something like $1200 per day including the safety services. Would not take many participants to cover the cost of the event. I believe it is a 1.6 mile course, with several elevation changes and technical turns.

A roach coach will come to the track for a lunch if arrangements are made in advance. The track is privately owned by the local clubs and we could get a weekend date with a little planning. I meet many of the club members every year when we do the PEI autoX and have inquired about COM doing an event there. The answer has always been positive regarding getting a date.

There are no bad race tracks, some are just a lot nicer than others....

W0lfK1n
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by W0lfK1n » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 am

bah - only 1400 miles and a 22 hour tow for me. I would go. :lol: Since In-Laws live in Berwic, ME and my parents live in Bangor, ME - hit one group on the way there and one on the way back. Easy-Peezy, nice and easy.

Just like Field of Dreams - If you Schedule it, We will come.

- Eldon

HerbD

Post by HerbD » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 pm

MiataSteve wrote:Yes and Yes........

Single day events at Lime Rock or NHIS may be a way to fill out the schedule. Could be run like as Time Trial day.

I actually inquired at VIR, and all they had was a couple of mid-week
dates. It seemed like too long of a drive/tow for us to go all the way
down there without at least a weekend at one end of the event.

Lime Rock, NHIS, and WGI are absolutely, totally, sold out, down to the
very last single mid-week day.

I inquired at Pocono last year, but the track is broken up into
several pieces, and if you want to run any 2 pieces (something
over 1.5 miles long), it will cost $15,000 a day. I think most of
us would prefer WGI at that price point.

We're not just sitting around waiting for dates to fall into our laps
here folks, the competition for track days is getting brutal.

At this point, we have added a second Mosport date (mid-week,
but that's life), and are waiting to hear about our July weekend at
Summit on Shenandoah before updating the schedule, but it looks
like we're going to have a reasonable docket if they both come
through.
-Herb DaSilva
2004 SRT-4, Blue #62, ST2

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:42 pm

Too bad there was no interest in Shannonville.
It would have been a relatively inexpensive venue to try out for COM
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5