Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant: SUCRE!

Any and all discussions concerning events.
breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant: SUCRE!

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 pm

What a place! The track surface is smooth as velvet and like a roller coaster from heaven. I had the time of my life. During the open track session on Tuesday I almost got dizzy I took so many laps!
According to my Racetech I managed to get in 82 laps during the weekend(well two days...).Talk about seat time. Quality AND quantity.I sure slept good!
Driving through Montreal is is a small price to pay for such Nirvana!With Sam at point we had no problems.We did manage to get a bit off track on the way home.Eh!That's what adventures are all about.
Great organization from all as usual and my instructor Joseph Lu was extremely encouraging and insightful; "Stay off the turtles in turn five,it will upset your car." Yup,suure enough,I spun it. :shock:
What a great way to enjoy two beautiful days in Quebec!
Oh,yea, we checked out the Mont TB resort since we were in the neighborhood.Ho hum. :lol:

I can't believe the track doesn't even have an entrance sign to such an outstanding facility that offers so much entertainment.

How ironic :wink:

I am one happy newbie! I will be putting this on my to do list next year.

Bon a Petit!
Last edited by breakaway500 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm glad you had a good time Mark. It was fun to actually get on track with you on the second day to see how you were driving at different places on the course. Judging by how fast you were getting through 3-4-5, I gathered your Focus is very well sorted out.

I can only imagine what it would have been like with the monster tires you cut the fenders to fit.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Troy. I'm not sure the big tires would help the little Focus much on a road course.I may try them some time just to experiment.
Congrats on your trophy finish!You looked very confident out there. :wink:
I tried your line through 1-2-3, and even though the Focus is wrong wheel drive,it felt comfortable on the line.The car is stable with the current setup,however I plan on removing some more weight in my quest to get it down to 1500lbs., keeping it dependable and safe. :shock: My very own fwd formula car. Formula B,for backwards.. HA!
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I had a blast, and I finally broke my 1:59.xxx curse to boot....broke it hard too. I was completely stupefied when Will said my lap time was in the 1:54's at the trophy ceremony.

I even got compliments from all the IDP'ers.. I hear they never do that. :)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

brownMINI
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by brownMINI » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:07 pm

The Sports Car Club of Vermont contingent had a great time as well... We had a good assortment of driver experience in our 8 drivers. From people at their first "real" track, to BMWCCA HPDE regulars (myself), to COM Canadian event regular Dave, to spec Miata guys the Collins-es.

I've got video from a few different sessions, but so far I have only thrown together footage of my time trial laps.

Jason - in the brown-ish MINI
Last edited by brownMINI on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:11 pm

TroyV wrote:I even got compliments from all the IDP'ers.. I hear they never do that. :)
Troy sucks. Holy cow, did I get owned in my own car or what! :D

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm

thanks for a great event guys...it was lots of fun and wonderful seeing y'all again.
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Youre welcome Mark, Im glad you had a great couple days. It was a pleasure having you as a student!

Raj, its bad form to get beat in your own car... Where was the Jihad?
Last edited by zip4zat on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Jason - nice video. I'll post up a link to some video soon too, which you and a bunch of other cars are in. :) Glad you made the trip from VT and had a great time. The VT crew is becoming a force to be reconed with!

Tommy - great to see you, hopefully your friends had a good time too!

Next, onto Mosport. If you liked running Tremblant with COM, you will LOVE Mosport...!

My favorite track, ever.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Yes, a great event! Other than my brain fart between 13 and 14, that is.
Thanks to all for the help scoping out the damage. And special thanks to those who offered their cars for the time trial! Mario, Keith, Glenn, etc.
I opted for the Mustang Cobra and managed to wrestle the beast down near 2:02 before cording both front tires. Glenn, I owe you! Thanks, man!
Thank you also to the volunteers helping me at control. The language barrier and different flagging methods certainly made it a challenge!
On to Mosport!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:19 pm

zip4zat wrote:Where was the Jihad?
Shocked and awed by the IRA artillery.

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Here's a bit of video from my car, not me driving.

Mt Tremblant COMSCC Aug 5 2008
96 Miata #72 SC

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:21 pm

WillM wrote:Here's a bit of video from my car, not me driving.

Mt Tremblant COMSCC Aug 5 2008
Great video and gorgeous track!

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:19 pm

A few members have told me they bought Aiptek camcorders like the one I use (Action HD). At NHMS my camera kept shutting off on-track. Mike Marshall mentioned the same problem to me. I shook the camera and found that the battery rattles around a bit. I wrapped a small amount of gaffer tape (similar to racer/duct tape) around the battery to give it a snug fit. NHMS is significantly bumpier than Tremblant, so I don't know if the problem is 100% solved, but the camera never shut off once during the event at Tremblant. So far, so good!
96 Miata #72 SC

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:56 pm

WillM wrote:At NHMS my camera kept shutting off on-track.
Huh. At NHMS my Pocket PC (that I use as a lap timer display) also kept shutting off on-track, mostly whenever I hit the big bump coming off the oval in T3. It was pretty annoying. Next time I'll try the gaffer's tape trick around the battery and see if that fixes it.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62