Here's another question

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.

Away event attendance:

I'm a track rat and go to nearly every event
18%
18%
18%
My racing budget is limited, I can't afford to run all the events, so I cut out some/all away events
6%
My racing budget is limited, I can't afford to run all the events, so I cut out some/all away events
6%
6%
I don't have a trailer and I'm worried about breaking down that far from home
3%
3%
3%
I don't have that much vacation time
5%
5%
5%

Total votes: 93

Crusin
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Crusin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:33 pm

What are the chances of getting a second Tremblant date?

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:44 pm

Or perhaps a second Mosport date?

gread
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by gread » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:22 pm

It is a shame that the WGI date was dropped without asking the general membership for their opinion on paying an increased cost.
Is COMSCC only interested in finding new members without servicing the needs of the existing members. I was looking forward to running the entire COM schedule next year, but with the drop of WGI and a return to the Shenedoah circuit I believe I'll have to go with club racing or another group. It is disappointing to belong to a car club where the answer to track dates is to use a competitors group. WGI was an event for the core of COMSCC time trial racers who I believe would have paid the extra without pause.
What are left for serious track events? Lime Rock is always too late in the season for a consistently good event. WGI is gone. Shenedoah is a go-cart track, the regular Summit Point track is better. Mt Tremblant is a great facility and great family/spouse destination. NHIS is nice due to its proximity to the majority of club members, but not really a great track for road racing.
Maybe COMSCC is just a starting point for becoming a more involved racer, but I liked the people, the atmosphere, and the variety of events.
I hope the directors of the club investigate what problems lie ahead for not only finding new members, but keeping the old ones.

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 pm

I love WG and would be willing to pay more to run there. I'd consider foregoing the Time Trial day for an open track day (like last year on the main track at Summit Point). Actually, I'd consider an open track day at Mosport, Mont Tremblant or LRP (only in warm weather though - not November).

Any news on Calabogie? Is that an option for 2006?

I'm also willing to consider Mid-Ohio or VIR.

Has COM considered combining with another club at lighter attended events?
-Keith-

SPB116

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:25 am

Tony Funicello (chief instructor) is a great guy who has attended COM events. He may accept a TT license as qualifying you for open track. I've run w/ Trackmasters 5+ years and their events are always well run. They have ~ three 2-day events at the Glen, from May to October, and have also run at Summit, Mosport, and Mt Tremblant.
I contact Tony last summer about qualifying for open track with a single seat car. He said he would do a chase/follow but would park me if I did not qualify.

I have attended a WGI event with car guys the summer before last. They where a nice group, 4 30 min sessions each day and no issues with a single seat car. They are running July 3 and 4 next summer.

As much as I love watkins glen, the weekend/holiday NHIS events are by far the most desirable. My family likes to come with me to these events.

I agree with Herb in choosing NHIS over WGI. NHIS is our home track, and we need to keep our foot in the door as much as possible.

Jonathan
900 PA Monte Carlo

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

COM attendance

Post by kfoote » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:48 am

At this point in my life, I choose the events I attend based on when they are, and what my priorities are for that season. Last year was going to the SCCA Runoffs. This year the top priority will be crew for all the Grand-Am Cup races. I have to run enough SCCA races to keep my license, though I'd rather do that locally this year, which I will look at with the COM schedule. If I can make Mosport, that is the top priority COM event for me, as it is my favorite track still in existence, and it looks like there are no conflicts for this year. The Tremblant date is the only event on the schedule that I have a conflict with. (side note, the Grand-Am Cup race is in Trois Rivieres that weekend, and is definitely worth going to if you're already almost there)

I also like to add at least one new track per year. Last year I added 3, and I'm starting to have to go further away to make these events. The Shenendoah circuit is the only COM track that I have not yet driven, and the closest track I haven't driven. If there is no conflict, I'll probably go there as my new track for 2006.
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

jimmacsrx7
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

events

Post by jimmacsrx7 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:14 pm

Hey all. My first priority is how the dates fit my family life and work etc.. I would prefer weekend dates as i am in the no work no pay world of self employment and the multiple days of no pay can add a lot of cost to an event!! If the stars align i will race internationally for my first time this year as i have heard rave reviews about Mosport and Tremblant. I too love the Glen,it's my favorite track as well. Thats my 2 cents. Jim #074 SPA mazda rx7

dreeves

Re: Beating Mick

Post by dreeves » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:52 pm

offcamber09 wrote: David, next time you are quicker than Mick at a track...make sure you drive off-line when he's following you...He learns quick.
Ha! Agreed. That's the last time I make that mistake :-)

Too bad about WGI. It's a fantastic track. I may try to get some trackmasters days in there next year...

xstar
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by xstar » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:13 pm

gread wrote:It is a shame that the WGI date was dropped without asking the general membership for their opinion on paying an increased cost.
Is COMSCC only interested in finding new members without servicing the needs of the existing members. I was looking forward to running the entire COM schedule next year, but with the drop of WGI and a return to the Shenedoah circuit I believe I'll have to go with club racing or another group. It is disappointing to belong to a car club where the answer to track dates is to use a competitors group. WGI was an event for the core of COMSCC time trial racers who I believe would have paid the extra without pause.
What are left for serious track events? Lime Rock is always too late in the season for a consistently good event. WGI is gone. Shenedoah is a go-cart track, the regular Summit Point track is better. Mt Tremblant is a great facility and great family/spouse destination. NHIS is nice due to its proximity to the majority of club members, but not really a great track for road racing.
Maybe COMSCC is just a starting point for becoming a more involved racer, but I liked the people, the atmosphere, and the variety of events.
I hope the directors of the club investigate what problems lie ahead for not only finding new members, but keeping the old ones.
Hi Greg,

I hope you won't drop COMSCC completely because of the removal of WGI from the 2006 schedule. As you know, COM will always have 3-4 NHIS events every year and other tracks will be on the schedule to enrich the member on-track experience. Despite how you may feel, COM always keeps the membership in mind when making decisions. The board of directors are very aware that the membership is the life-blood of the club. At the same time, as a non-profit organization, COM is not run to take major losses year after year. Therefore, sometimes a decision, like the WGI decision, is made purely as a business decision for the club.

Like Herb said, COM will still attempt to revisit WGI in 2007, as it is a world-class track. Personally, I like WGI very much. It is designed to showcase the high horsepower and at the same time, it is still challenging for low horsepower cars. COM will not forget WGI for 2007.

Meanwhile, for 2006, I hope to watch your yellow bimmer run with COM and beat the open-wheel vehicles for FTDs. (sorry, Bruce! :wink: )

- Alex Teng
#423 ST3 1996 Sumazdaru Miata STi

gread
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by gread » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Alex,

I have enjoyed the last few years with COM. Chris Tier was instrumental in getting me back into competitive motorsports and my wife will love him always.
I actually enjoy NHIS. It runs in multiple configurations, is 1.5 hours away, has plenty of lodging, offers great garage space and has decent concessions. WGI is just a tough track loss with little discussion among the members. At last years' award banquet, the club discussed having an issue with being $70k in the black. I know WGI doesn't make money but I do believe increased fees could have been discussed. COM does offer some of the lowest rates for excellent track time. Some of the other tracks being discussed will require additional money just in travel expenditures. VIR is a fantastic racecourse, but its 14+ hours away. Same for Mid-Ohio. WGI is 6 hours away. Closer than Mosport and Mt. Tremblant. That makes a difference in staying an additional night for a lot of drivers. It just feels like COM is limiting its venues in a short-sighted fashion. Look at what we have posted for the upcoming 2006 season. For those of us who like to time trial, it's not really lighting my hair on fire. The possible addition of the Shenedoah circuit isn't helping either.
I won't write off all the events, but luckily for Scott and Mario, I won't contest the SPA overall win. I may just show up with the new engine to take a run at Bruce... :wink: :wink:

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Maybe a unique reason?

Post by JackFFR1846 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:14 pm

I've had an ongoing agreement with my wife. I get to do almost unlimited track days as long as I limit them to 1 day at a time. I sometimes get a break if it's a Friday/Saturday but it's a bit tough to go to either WGI or Mosport without a bunch more free time available. I also have limited vacation time at work.

jack

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:38 pm

gread wrote:Chris Tier was instrumental in getting me back into competitive motorsports and my wife will love him always.
What!??!?? 8-[ 8-[ :shock: :shock:

Raj

therooster
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by therooster » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:31 pm

"Has COM considered combining with another club at lighter attended events?

(10 + ?)Years ago we used to run two co-hosted events. One was Bridgehampton with EMRA. The other was at Lime Rock with the Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club.

There always seemed to be a problem with which club ran what and the rules as far as safety etc on which day...Never mind the question of insurance and the necessary membership requirements. Who does registration? and most important who is liable in case something happens.

We had gladly accepted/invited people from other clubs for our away events but the half to be COM members and run by our rules.

Chris A.

Bane of Tires

Post by Bane of Tires » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:59 am

Limited budget and lack of a trailer keep me from traveling. I had a lot of fun at LRP but that's as far as I dare go (and that's still a bit of a stretch).

I'd love to try more tracks, but I suppose the house should precede the truck and trailer. :D

jrussell
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by jrussell » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:49 pm

My racing budget is very limited, mostly spent on getting the car ready the last few years, but rather than cut out the away tracks those are the ones I try to make. Glad to see Mt Tremblant back on the schedule, I love that track.
Jason Russell
88 RX7 turbo
VEMS Engine Management