COM was just the beginning....

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
deimos
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

COM was just the beginning....

Post by deimos » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 am

I started doing track events with COM a few years ago. I've been through 6 cars since I started, steadily moving towards real race cars. I never knew that my wrx and "pray for rain" banner would be the beginning of the addiction. I've now completed my first full year of SCCA Club Racing, finishing in the top 10 in my class. I did this against competing drivers with an average of 10+ years in the same class. I was told again and again how impressed they were with my handling of the car and the understanding of high speed vehicle dynamics; especially for someone in their first year of wheel-to-wheel racing.

There's a lot to learn with SCCA and wheel-to-wheel racing. However, I didn't have to learn how to drive fast. I knew how to from years of COM instruction. I knew how to from visiting all the cool tracks in the expanded area and learning how to read a track. I knew how to from listening to other drivers in COM. I knew how to be consistent from time trials.

The best compliment I received this year was from a 3-time National Champion; "COM taught you all this? You drive like you've been doing this all your life. Skippy (Skip Barber) has nothing on COM apparently."

While I may have skipped a lot of events this year, because they conflict with SCCA, I realize where I started. You may not see me around much next year either. I'm working on double series in the SCCA, plus my National Racing License for the big leagues in 2007.

For those just starting out, or considering it, trust me, start with COM. You'll be far futher along in your skills and discipline than you think each year. You'll have a solid foundation, which puts you ahead of the majority of the field in the next club.

And yes, I still have "pray for rain" on the open wheeled car. I still get lots of angst from fellow racers over it too. Somethings never change. :)
Andrew
'91 Sentra with wicked cool tint

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:20 pm

Congratulations and best of luck with SCCA Club Racing. Sounds like you had an incredible year!

There is one thing I can't agree with though.
[-o< 4 :sunny:

:wink:

- Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:31 pm

Good Going!

I still remember some chatter before a drivers meeting at NHIS in 2002 (first year of the WRX) where a comment between seasoned drivers was overheard....."when these Subaru guys learn to drive, we'll be in trouble".

I'm glad that the trouble is further spreading :D

Someday, one of these "Subaru Guys" is going to be president of COM.... Naaah....never happen.

jack

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Prez

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:48 pm

Even worse...the president is going to be a Miata guy who used to be a Subaru guy. :cry:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

da prez

Post by ctkag » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:17 pm

Well, at least he still owns a Subaru!!
-Keith-

SPB116