Helmets and airbags

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Helmets and airbags

Post by MiataSteve » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:23 am

I found this while looking for a new helmet. Hmmmmm? Open face vs. full face with airbag equiped cars.

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/A ... visory.pdf

http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/forum_ ... =1208&PN=1

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:58 pm

So, anybody have some informed input? SCCA racers? I need to replace an old SA1995 and this has me thinking.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

airbags & helmets

Post by boltonite » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:14 am

Disable your airbag if you are concerned about it. I did so w/ my street car to avoid adding an $$airbag$$ to a fender-bender repair.

FWIW, if I chose an open face helmet it would be for reduced weight, more visibility and better face/head cooling, not airbags. -FF

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Open/closed helmet

Post by offcamber09 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 am

Steve, I also need to replace my helmet this year and will be going full face. I do not have the airbag to deal with, but would not even consider the open helmet- may be stubborness or just the security blanket aspect.
I have disc/neck problems and less weight would be better, but it's still not enough to change my mind. The real deal-breaker is that I also drive and open Porsche 914 and instruct in other open cars.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: airbags & helmets

Post by jeffreystrong » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:30 pm

boltonite wrote:Disable your airbag if you are concerned about it. I did so w/ my street car to avoid adding an $$airbag$$ to a fender-bender repair.
By street car I assume you mean street driven car (ie no helmet), registered and insured. I'm no expert on the subject but rumor has it that disabling the air bag on a street driven (insured) car is a insurance no no.

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:45 pm

ya disableing an airbag on a street insured car is a big no no. I asked them what would happen if i did this and they found out. They said they woud investigate and probly not cover the damage. This was for my first car. it was a 1995 plymouth neon. I asked that after i crashed it and the bags didnt deploy