WGI Option; Please vote and give us your opinions!

Any and all discussions concerning events.

Which WGI date do you prefer, if there was a choice made available?

April 21, 22: Monday, Tuesday (Current COM inked date)
36%
April 18, 19, 20: Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Optional date)
64%

Total votes: 44

luhrs68
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by luhrs68 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm

I was planning on two days, three days sounds even better, the dates don't matter to me. hope I don't blow my engine on the first day again.
I'm in for three.
Porsche 944 #61
George.

jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by jadams » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:40 pm

I agree. I would really prefer not to break a crankshaft on the first day either. That would remind me too much of last year!
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:24 pm

luhrs68 wrote:Hope I don't blow my engine on the first day again.George.
jadams wrote:I agree. I would really prefer not to break a crankshaft on the first day either. That would remind me too much of last year!
(Said in humor, like Spicolli in Fast Times movie with some word changes) Dude, Steven was a TV repair man and carrys an awesome set of tools. We can fix it.

Seriously, i bring a dizzying array of tools to the track guys. You need a tool, odds are it is there for you to use.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

sdef
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

W.G.

Post by sdef » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:25 pm

the only days I could do the event is April 19-27.

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 am

900+ views of this thread and only 32 votes on the poll. Maybe we shouldn't bother going back to the Glenn at all. I thought it was a popular track.
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 am

Grippy wrote:900+ views of this thread and only 32 votes on the poll. Maybe we shouldn't bother going back to the Glenn at all. I thought it was a popular track.
There is another button selection missing:
EITHER DAYS OK BY ME :wink:
I bet you'll get 868 responses ... 8)

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:48 am

The leaves on my money tree are getting thin
Yeah, I plowed mine over on the way into the wall at NHIS.

I'd do three days and take the rest of the year to pay it off, but it's not likely I'll have the car fixed before June - too many projects, too little time, and an under-employed wife will have that effect...
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Grippy wrote:I thought it was a popular track.
You lost me at "$300 per day." (See post #1.) If it's $200/day I could do probably do two days, and I don't care which two. With all the other associated costs, $800 registration for an event (as mentioned in the email we got) is too rich for my blood.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by jadams » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Why would the cost structure be any different than in the past? Have they raised the rental fees? Or is it because we are talking about a weekend event vs a weekday event? I seem to remember that the fees last season were like $395 for two days or just under $200 per day. Why the uncertainty of the price? ie ($200-$300 per day). What is the actual cost for renting the track per day? Does if vary for weekend events vs weekday event?
I am just asking because I can see that it would have an impact on people responding. Afterall $ is one of the main drivers in this sport/hobby.
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:58 pm

At least 12 views are from me alone, so of the hundreds i count for at least 12 of them. :oops:
dinoracer wrote:
The leaves on my money tree are getting thin
Yeah, I plowed mine over on the way into the wall at NHIS.
(a moment of silence for the car)

Am glad YOU are ok, as was so very concerned when seeing the situation...
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm

jadams wrote:Why would the cost structure be any different than in the past? Have they raised the rental fees? Or is it because we are talking about a weekend event vs a weekday event? I seem to remember that the fees last season were like $395 for two days or just under $200 per day. Why the uncertainty of the price? ie ($200-$300 per day). What is the actual cost for renting the track per day? Does if vary for weekend events vs weekday event?
I am just asking because I can see that it would have an impact on people responding. Afterall $ is one of the main drivers in this sport/hobby.
The event fee is likely driven both by the track fees and by the number of participants. The club probably visits its fee structure at the end of the year and tries to adjust it so that it won't lose money.

I think last year was not a good year for most clubs in terms of participation, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see other non-profit clubs (BMWCCA, etc.) raise their fees as well.

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass as usual :)
Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:10 pm

You are mostly right Raj. Track fees are rising everywhere. We lost money at every event last year except NHIS and we lost the first date to weather. This is going to be a tough year for COM financially, we have to raise the price as we can not afford to loose money at any event this year. We are trying to keep the price down but the tracks keep raising their fees. If we sold out every event we wouldn't be having a problem. We constantly struggle to come up with new ways to get participation numbers up at the away events.
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Grippy wrote:... We constantly struggle to come up with new ways to get participation numbers up at the away events.
Raising the price is - imho - not the solution as it may drive some members away. I think lowering the price OR a caveat (better!): If we reach xxx participating members each registered member will get a $$ credit towards the NEXT event because it brought the cost down.
I realize it can be an accountant's nightmare but this is internal (sorry Paul) but if you have a sliding scale of what you plan to break-even (or make money) for each away event, you can set a scale of prices that will initially be "if x members are registered, the price will be $x" .. but if x+y members are registered, the price will then lower to $y and those who paid $xy will get a credit for their next event.
:shock: :? :idea: :idea: :idea: :thumbleft: :help:
Comments (constructive, that is) welcomed

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I couldn't possibly afford to run at WGI for three days if the money was 300 a day. I'd have a hard time with 150 per day. I say this because the per day fuel cost at a higher speed longer course like WGI can be significantly more than any other track we visit.....this would be even more significant if it is just open track for two days with the TT on the third day. This is aside from spares and rubber etc... That could easily turn into a $2k+ weekend for me. That would jeopardize my plans to run more than one of the events in Canada.

Mick suggested I go out for one of the three days when there is open track and scoop up as many track miles as I can get.. At first I wasn't going to consider it, but I think I may change my mind.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Grippy wrote:We are trying to keep the price down but the tracks keep raising their fees. If we sold out every event we wouldn't be having a problem. We constantly struggle to come up with new ways to get participation numbers up at the away events.
FYI: i have continually beeen trying to get those New England exotic RED Italian car guys at COMSCC events for the past two years, yet they appear to pretty much NEVER track their cars.

This year will contune my work on that front and will also post to the Lambo guys and talk to the New England Lambo dealer, as perhaps we can figure a way to get them aboard to help fill up events.

Of course other ways to reach out are the varous boards that post track events, print mags like Grassroots Motorsports, etc. If anyone knows the ricer crowd discussion boards, those guys may be ripe for joining COMSCC track events.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.