Lime Rock track rental news; it isn't good

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Lime Rock track rental news; it isn't good

Post by CP » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:06 am

Taken from the SCDA website:

"LIMEROCK CHANGES- LimeRock has changed all club rentals to half days. We have been given three half days so far ( 2 in April and 1 in Nov ) In the best interest of time allowances, we have decided to make the first day in April for Novices (Group 1(green) and 2 (white) with an Instructor group) and the second day for upper intermediate and advanced (Group 3 (blue) and 4(red) )"

The NEQ website reports:

"Lime Rock Driver Safety School - A new schedule

"This ever popular event is back for another year but with a little change in format. We are sure you are aware of the new Limerock Park Club and the impact that is having on club events. Well, NEQ is no different and while we have the track for those two days we have to share it with LRP Club members. Different to say the least. We are working closely with eventmaster Gio Tomasi and NEQ Chief Instructor Steve Earley to put together a fun, challenging event. We will keep you posted as this event comes together."

Looks like I may be done with Lime Rock Park for the time being, so I'm glad I got some time to drive that track when I did. I think clubs should pass on any LRP days this season in protest. Hopefully Skip's "private club" flops and some sense of normalcy returns in a few years.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:35 am

Taken from the SCDA website:

"LIMEROCK CHANGES- LimeRock has changed all club rentals to half days. We have been given three half days so far ( 2 in April and 1 in Nov ) In the best interest of time allowances, we have decided to make the first day in April for Novices (Group 1(green) and 2 (white) with an Instructor group) and the second day for upper intermediate and advanced (Group 3 (blue) and 4(red) )"
You mean PDA's website

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm

One word for Lime Rock: condos
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:48 pm

brucesallen wrote:One word for Lime Rock: condos
I wonder what the Michelin Tower "Penthouse" will go for... :roll:

I must be honest I never was very fond of Lime Rock trackwise. But I must respect the place because it's legendary and for us to be there is a "priviledge" of sorts (like WGI and Mont Tremblant), provided the price is right.

I will surely not miss LRP in November that's for sure. I was told LRP in other times of Spring and Summer is great .. if the price is right of course.

At year end we should be looking for tracks further South.
Anyone for a super-duper package like Sebring where we will contract a transport company and bus to shuttle us and out precious machines there?
Wonder what would that be like. Or even closer (eg: Tracks in Georgia)

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Lime Rock track rental news; it isn't good

Post by enjoythemusic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:01 pm

CP wrote:Looks like I may be done with Lime Rock Park for the time being, so I'm glad I got some time to drive that track when I did. I think clubs should pass on any LRP days this season in protest. Hopefully Skip's "private club" flops and some sense of normalcy returns in a few years.
LRP was my very first track ever driven on (first with open wheel and first again with Italian thing). Ya know, you'd think i'd be all sentimental about LRP, but frankly screw 'em. Like you said, it was fun and all... now time to move on.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Holding the event in November always made it difficult to sign up for LRP. I've actually had a lot of fun there in warmer weather where I can actually not worry about having enough grip in the downhill to not brake. :shock: Looks like I'll never get that sub one-minute lap in!

Half days are just not worth it. We'd have to limit participation to licensed drivers only one day, students the other and forego the Time Trials.
-Keith-

SPB116

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 pm

brucesallen wrote:One word for Lime Rock: condos
Two words for Lime Rock: EAT SH*T !

And a few more: blowing off the grassroots racers that made you so popular is just bad business. Why do you think your track is booked every day of the season and even a few days after the season should be over (see us). I don't blame you for raising the track rental prices- that's simple economics and until demand is diminished, see how far you can push it. But not even giving clubs like ours the "privilege" to pay those high fees reeks of elitism and turns a blind eye towards the history of our sport. Skip thinks the bottom line for Lime Rock will be better by going the country club route. Time will tell. But he sure has forgotten his roots- like my Uncle picking up one of his first (Lola ?) school cars at Logan Airport and assembling it in a garage in Cambridge only to find out the cars were so structurally unsound that they would bend in half.
No more stories like that will be coming out of LRP- but they sure will be able to tell us what wine goes with what cheese (sorry Dan- that's not a dig at you). My $.02 -which is only worth $.01 at Lime Rock.
:bs:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

91rs13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by 91rs13 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 am

Patroon BMWCCA is in the same shape as the other clubs.

LRP gave everyone the option of taking the morning OR afternoon, or run a rotating schedule with "the Club"

We opted to take the rotating schedule ( Sat May 10th, Sat Oct 11th)
--which means we lose 2 student run groups ( 40-50 students) and one instructor group ( 25-30)

Track rental is 1/2 of what it was in 07 --with a 2.5% increase. Waiting to see what the "added options" costs will be.

The Confusion was the main reason we added an Aug date at Calabogie to our June date at WGI --I Question if LRP will survive.
DJ

# 381 T60 BMW 318
2011 Ram 1500
1972 Datsun 510
350Z Nismo--It died a miserable death........

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 am

NEWS about LRP> Seems they will be resurfacing (thank G-d about time) and making it wider and perhaps slower (ugh) so the fat cat members can drive badly and still come away unscathed.

NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE CLUB AT LIME ROCK PARK BREAKS ESCROW
AND COMMENCES OPERATIONS

Track Upgrades to Begin This Winter

Lakeville, CT – (December 19, 2007) Skip Barber, President of Lime Rock Park, has announced the Club at Lime Rock Park (The Club) www.limerockclub.com has broken escrow and officially commenced operations. At a member meeting and holiday party held this past weekend, Barber announced the 2008 schedule of 60 member track dates, with more than 40 dates scheduled for the months of May, June, July, August, and September. Barber also announced Lime Rock Park has hired a general contractor, Mohawk Construction out of New Britain, Connecticut, and they expect to announce the selection of a paving contractor soon. Site preparation to upgrade the track will begin this winter.

“We are very pleased to have more than one hundred member commitments,â€
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.

91rs13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by 91rs13 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:29 am

The info I heard was that Skip felt the Down hill was too fast--being taken flat out by too many cars and was not challenging enough. I would expect changes there.

Good news it is being repaved.
DJ

# 381 T60 BMW 318
2011 Ram 1500
1972 Datsun 510
350Z Nismo--It died a miserable death........

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Scott Wrote:
No more stories like that will be coming out of LRP- but they sure will be able to tell us what wine goes with what cheese (sorry Dan- that's not a dig at you). My $.02 -which is only worth $.01 at Lime Rock.
Sorry Scott, I like LRP, Its the closest track to my house (1 1/2 hours) plus it is much easier to navigate while drinking a glass of wine and eating some fine cheese and crackers. :lol: NHIS is too hard to negotiate while holding a wine glass, too many jerky turns !

I will miss LRP, it is close to home, and I liked the challange of driving it in the the snow. If my car hauler/camper did not have heat, than I propably would have not enjoyed LRP.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:19 pm

DanDarcy wrote: NHIS is too hard to negotiate while holding a wine glass, too many jerky turns !
It's a NASCAR track! Bud in a can is no problem. :thumbleft:
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Les --- I'll try the Bud, than I can use my cup holders too :lol: I'll have a free hand for the Pizza :!:
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Stynger wrote:
DanDarcy wrote: NHIS is too hard to negotiate while holding a wine glass, too many jerky turns !
It's a NASCAR track! Bud in a can is no problem. :thumbleft:

(Humor) Sheesh, friggen amateurs! You know how endurance race drivers have drinking tubes hooked to the front of their helmet. What do you think those are hooked to? Why, a mini-KEG of course! You press a button on the steering wheel and the 'tap' opens, thereby allowing the flow of beer. Race engines have direct injection, and this is almost the same with direct injected (into driver's mouth) beer.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Good One Steve
(Humor) Sheesh, friggen amateurs! You know how endurance race drivers have drinking tubes hooked to the front of their helmet. What do you think those are hooked to? Why, a mini-KEG of course! You press a button on the steering wheel and the 'tap' opens, thereby allowing the flow of beer. Race engines have direct injection, and this is almost the same with direct injected (into driver's mouth) beer.
I had been thinking of rerouting the windshield washer hose to uder the dash in my car, than filling the washer bottle with a little (or a lot for long tracks) booze, just put your glass under the washer hose hit the windshield washer switch and fill the glass while your merrily merrily, merrily drive along . :wink:
I guess I could put the hose directly in my mouth too :P
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU