Returning to COMSCC

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Returning to COMSCC

Post by SquidInk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:49 pm

I am returning to track days after a time off. I wanted a few opinions as things have changed.

I used to SSC and ST4/ST3 VW GTIs. On a good day, they had 100HP.

My current DD with an eey toward track days is a 2015 GTI with the "performance pack". Haldex diff, better power and brakes... and defeatable traction and stability control.

My last event was in a V6 Lotus Exige at Hethel, UK. That's a lot of fun. 165MPH. But there is runoff.

I am looking at Palmer, and it looks like fun, but a lot of close concrete walls. I have a stock 2015 GTI that is other than wide tires - 255/35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Stock suspension and a somewhat high CG. I think I am just in T-40.

I rather famously rolled a GTI at Mt Tremblant in '94... When Grove Marcy ran across the infield and beat the safety car to me.

I was wondering if I should skip this season and find a proper car and a Snell 2020 SA helmet for next year? Nobody rents spec racers anymore, it seems.

Thanks,

Seth
1994 Toyota World Sports Racer with EFI retrofit running in SC.
No power, but no weight.

Holder of two ancient class lap records purely by luck and technicalities. :D

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Returning to COMSCC

Post by dinoracer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Seth

Nice to have you back. Take a look through the TT results and you’ll see a few gti in there, so it can be run , but you may be onto something in looking to something else. Really depends on how far you might want to go. Hopefully a couple of our regular VW guys will chime in on what they’ve learned.
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:27 pm

I believe Palmer has Miata cars for rent. You might want to consider calling the track directly and asking. - Paul G.
Paul G.

billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by billrice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Seth
I’m running a Mk7 GTI. The MQB platform is very capable. I’m still a newbie though. I’ve done quite a few mods putting me into T-70. It’s a fun car to drive. I’d be happy to talk more if you want to give me a call (any evening)
508-789-8156
Bill

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by TXBDan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

There's no reason you can't run a stock GTI. The major weakness is the ones without PP because the e-diff cooks the brakes. You have the LSD with the PP so you're solid.

I tracked a mk6 for a couple years when i first moved to Boston and had plenty of fun smoking the waxers in BMWCCA :lol:
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 pm

Pete McParland also has Miatas for rent.

Welcome back!
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:34 am

Seth,
I remember seeing you do an airborne flip over the berm leading into Namerow. I was amazed to see you not injured but you didn't really hit anything.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 pm

I think this was in the "no point by required" time in COMSCC? I am not sure. But I was passing a 911SC in my GTI and he didn't see me and put me in the grass. The car rotated in the grass and rolled coming back across the track and impacted the berm. I remember at *least* two somersaults and a barrel roll or two. It didn't stop that quickly, it wasn't a fast car and it had a 6 point welded cage, 5 point belts and I had a fire suit. I

got a little dirt in my eyes. Barely a bruise.

My instructor crashed a V6 Exige with me riding passenger last year. A gust of wind dropped the downforce in the braking zone at about 120MPH. We hit the armco. But real belts and seats and helmets mean that all I had was bruises and a story to tell. And no bill to pay. :D

I didn't scratch the Exige...
No power, but no weight.

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I think I want to start with Thompson. Palmer looks terrifying. I may try a SCDA day at Thompson, as I don't think there's a COMSCC event there that I can attend this year. I would prefer COMSCC but that's life.

I must say that my memory of COMSCC instruction and novice driver support is very good. Even compared to a "pro" organization.

Feedback on the Haldex LSD is nice to hear. The new wider, tires transform this car, even if they are just Michelin Pilot 4S. I expect that Hawk pads will last for a weekend or two.

Still a little worried about center of mass height, but it's a wide, low car compared to a MK1 or MK2.

Bill- I'll probably reach out this weekend. I am trying to work my way toward T-30, not T-70, but I am interested to hear about your experiences. If I enjoy this as much as I think I will, I may look for a 2nd hand Evora or something similar. I think I need RWD for a track car.
No power, but no weight.

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:16 pm

So I am taking a hard look at a single seater like a spec racer. I know a few people used to run formula cars in the past. I am looking at something closed wheel and a little slower. It seems that I would have to run a 2 seater to regain my license. For that I could run my GTI this year.

But is there any technical or practical reason why I couldn't run a sports racer in COM? It might be like bringing a knife to a gunfight in the Super C class, but I wouldn't be in it for the fame and fortune.
No power, but no weight.

billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by billrice » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:21 pm

2020 SCCA Road Racing Champion T3 VW GTI

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 pm

SquidInk wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:16 pm
So I am taking a hard look at a single seater like a spec racer. I know a few people used to run formula cars in the past. I am looking at something closed wheel and a little slower. It seems that I would have to run a 2 seater to regain my license. For that I could run my GTI this year.

But is there any technical or practical reason why I couldn't run a sports racer in COM? It might be like bringing a knife to a gunfight in the Super C class, but I wouldn't be in it for the fame and fortune.
Be very aware of noise restrictions at the track. Many cars, even factory exhaust high performance street cars can be too loud.
That would be the only concern in my mind.
Paul G.

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 am

Well, I thought I found a good enough deal, so I took the plunge! :D

Thanks for mentioning sound limits! I just ordered a stubby Supertrapp knockoff.

As it turns out, it came with a few random parts from a cannibalized car. The spare roll hoop (?!?) has COMSCC tech inspection stickers. They are too old to read dates, though.

The car is a Toyota WSR with the EFI upgrade on a fresh engine. I don't know if it has a LSD or the Tilton 2 disc clutch yet.

I think top speed might be less than the GTI, but quicker everywhere else. Now I need some used tires!
No power, but no weight.

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Also, looking for a trailer for a 70" wide car that's a bit over 12 feet long. 80" by 14' would be a great starting point.
No power, but no weight.