New Guy Looking For Miata at NHMS 6/26

Any and all discussions concerning events.
mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

New Guy Looking For Miata at NHMS 6/26

Post by mattsmusic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi -

I'm new to track events, just ran my first HPDE at Palmer last weekend. I'm hooked! Only problem is I don't have a car I can track, so my brother (who's got about 70 track days under his belt) and I rented a Spec Miata for Palmer. I'm wanting to do the HPDE at New Hampshire but need a car. Are you guys aware of any companies who are located near NHMS and rent Miata's? I already spoke with Rosmar and Flatout but NHMS is a long drive for them and pricing reflects that. Plus I'm just one guy wanting one car, which isn't helping pricing.

Also: If anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to share a car and split the rental cost.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Matt :)

cgreekie
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: New Guy Looking For Miata at NHMS 6/26

Post by cgreekie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Matt,
Welcome to Comscc.
What were you lap times at Palmer in the spec miata?

mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by mattsmusic » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:14 pm

I didn't do the time trials because I didn't get signed off to run solo but my fastest lap during the HPDE was about 2:15. My brother did the time trials and his best lap was right at 2:00. Considering he's done tons of track days and this was my first, I think I've got potential!

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:48 am

as a instructor with another club I will say if your new to track driving it's not about turning a fast lap time !
it's about learning !
a fast laps come later .

mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by mattsmusic » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:36 am

I'm at Thompson right now for that specific reason. I'm ready to learn as much as I possibly can, speed will come with experience.

cgreekie
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cgreekie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Yep, I'm still waiting on the speed part myself!

Not sure what the spec miata rentals cost but I'm guessing around $700-1000 a day?
For that price may be better off just buying a used miata and some decent tires for the cost of a few track days you may end up saving money. Maybe you brother will go in on one with you even.
Afterwards you may even recoup some of the money by reselling it if you decide your not as into it.

If I had planned it myself I would probably have done similar but, mine was more of an evolutionary path here.
Every vehicle I've purchased I've sworn off modifications but always end up giving in. It's in my blood along with passion for driving and if your the same a long term plan may be more prudent.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:53 pm

mattsmusic wrote:I'm at Thompson right now for that specific reason. I'm ready to learn as much as I possibly can, speed will come with experience.
THOMPSON ??? SCDA ? ME TOO ! instructing

mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by mattsmusic » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Definitely made some progress today. My best lap time was only a few seconds behind my instructor's! Next up is NHMS in a couple weeks. Woo!

962porsche wrote:
mattsmusic wrote:I'm at Thompson right now for that specific reason. I'm ready to learn as much as I possibly can, speed will come with experience.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:58 am

cgreekie wrote:Yep, I'm still waiting on the speed part myself!

Not sure what the spec miata rentals cost but I'm guessing around $700-1000 a day?
For that price may be better off just buying a used miata and some decent tires for the cost of a few track days you may end up saving money. Maybe you brother will go in on one with you even.
Afterwards you may even recoup some of the money by reselling it if you decide your not as into it.

If I had planned it myself I would probably have done similar but, mine was more of an evolutionary path here.
Every vehicle I've purchased I've sworn off modifications but always end up giving in. It's in my blood along with passion for driving and if your the same a long term plan may be more prudent.
that's about right from what I see for Miata rentals .
you cab pick up a low cost car little a Miata leave the thing stock and have a blast with it .
the down side to miatas are you will need a hard top it will increase the price the other option is to get a roll bar and the other safety for the car this too will increase the cost .
I did a traded a paint job on a 53 ford pickup for my Miata but had to spend another 2000 on the safety gear for it .
another option is to look for a Nissan SE-R like Sam or Mark have they are good cars at a low cost to buy and run .

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 am

mattsmusic wrote:Definitely made some progress today. My best lap time was only a few seconds behind my instructor's! Next up is NHMS in a couple weeks. Woo!

962porsche wrote:

that's great !!!!!
it was a good day for all .
my student did not do the last run session of the day she was getting input over load .
I took her out in my Miata as a ride along for one session and she had a blast in the car the plus was she learned about being methodical for every braking point turn in apex and track out .

about times :
my Miata is bone stock 17 dollar napa brake pads to the rubber brake lines last season I was running all season tires with a 500 tread wear rating . a friend gave me a set of 200 tread wear tires and my times dropped an average of 5 seconds from my best time last season .

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:29 am

mattsmusic wrote:Hi -

I'm new to track events, just ran my first HPDE at Palmer last weekend. I'm hooked! Only problem is I don't have a car I can track, so my brother (who's got about 70 track days under his belt) and I rented a Spec Miata for Palmer. I'm wanting to do the HPDE at New Hampshire but need a car. Are you guys aware of any companies who are located near NHMS and rent Miata's? I already spoke with Rosmar and Flatout but NHMS is a long drive for them and pricing reflects that. Plus I'm just one guy wanting one car, which isn't helping pricing.

Also: If anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to share a car and split the rental cost.

If you're thinking of buying, a friend of mine and COM member (Kathi Reece) has a miata for sale. It's a 94-97 (don't remember the specific year) with spec suspension. It's got a half-cage or roll bar (don't remember which). It's got a new radiator, clutch, all new cooling hoses and a bunch of other fresh stuff. You could buy it for about 3 weekend rentals, likely. I think she's willing to deal for a COM member. I can put you in touch if you like.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Matt what car did you drive at the Thompson event ??? Novice ???

mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by mattsmusic » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Jeff -

We'll probably rent for the rest of the season and consider buying in the winter. Thanks for the info below!

Matt
jeffw wrote:
mattsmusic wrote:Hi -

If you're thinking of buying, a friend of mine and COM member (Kathi Reece) has a miata for sale. It's a 94-97 (don't remember the specific year) with spec suspension. It's got a half-cage or roll bar (don't remember which). It's got a new radiator, clutch, all new cooling hoses and a bunch of other fresh stuff. You could buy it for about 3 weekend rentals, likely. I think she's willing to deal for a COM member. I can put you in touch if you like.

mattsmusic
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by mattsmusic » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Yes, I ran Novice in Jack Beaulieu's red Mita with yellow stripes.
962porsche wrote:Matt what car did you drive at the Thompson event ??? Novice ???

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 pm

I remember the car you did good from what I saw .
my student was in the red mini with the white top . she was very green but was getting better over the run sessions . by the last run of the day she got a point by and the smile on her face after we came in was price less .