Out of the race for now.... :(

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Out of the race for now.... :(

Post by mossaidis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:01 am

I must of been the last one leaving the COM meeting. I just pulled into the on-ramp for 495 south to head back to Albany when out from the dark came the largest pond of water. Water splashed everywhere including into my cold air intake... and the rest is history! Motor stalled and so did the car.... I waited as long as I could to restart the motor but the damage was already done. Any one of my cylinders has either a hole in the piston, a broken rod and/or one ugly looking set of valves... I got the car and myself towed to the Comfort Suites in Andover, MA for $40.

I was wondering if anyone has the day free and a D16Z6 engine lying around? If so, perhaps you can help me install it before Friday 7:00 am when I'm scheduled to be at Limerock, CT... Am I funny or what? :)

Does anyone have a tow truck I can borrow for a day? :)

If anyone has ANY bright ideas, just give me a buzz before 2 pm tomorrow (518) 209 5541. Otherwise, I will try to upgrade my AAA membership to PLUS and convince AAA to give me a double 100 miles tow to Albany. arrrghhh.... that's a stretch ugh? Maybe, but it's worth a try. Maybe... yeah, and I'm 6'4".

It will be a long winter.

What are the chances I can get a refund for Limerock?

Mickey
Last edited by mossaidis on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:10 am

Bummer!

The 'good' news is that you are only missing one event. You'll have plenty of time to make a plan for next season.

Best of luck getting home,

- Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Hi

Post by mossaidis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 am

Thanks Will. It was great seeing everyone last night. I thought all the discussions were good (no, I am not kissing a$$).

My buddy can drive my Jeep out here tonight, but I have no way of towing the lowered Honda. I don't think a lowered Honda would work well with a U-hual tow dolly. Does anyone know where I could rent or buy a tow harness or flat bed near Andover, MA? I think a harness would work okay.

Again, any help is appreciated. Mickey
518 209 5541

SSNH
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by SSNH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:41 am

email the registrar about the refund.

sorry to hear about your troubles. my bmw, which was lowed in the front at the time made it up onto a aluminum uhual trailer.

was i the only one who drove on the concrete medians on the way to the highway?

mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by mossaidis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:43 pm

I found a Uhual in Lawrence that will rent out a truck and tralier for $300. The only mystery remaining is whether the car has enough juice to climb the ramps on 3 cyclinders and one very LOUD broken one. It splits oil out with every turn! Just looks ugly. My only other option is a $700 tow to Albany, which is better than what I thought.

mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by mossaidis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will be picking up the Uhual at 2pm from lawrence and the auto transport from somewhere else. If you anyone can find the time around 5pm to help me out in Andover loading the car, let me know. 518 209 5541

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

car trouble

Post by dinoracer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your busted car. I work in Lowell, and would normally be able to run up to Andover , but I've got a meeting at a client's in Norwood at 3:00. If it goes early I'll try to stop by anyway.

Wed night was tough on my Miata also. On the way into the parking lot of the Ground Round I hit the traffic island in the middle of the entrance on the bar side of the building. I've been going there for over 15 years, but almost always enter from the other side. Had to go to the bank first this time, so I came in the other way. In the rain and dark, never saw it...

CRUNCH. Guessed I hit the crossmember or worse, oil pan. Backed off, pulled into the lot, gave it a quick look and it was running OK and seemed OK , so went into meeting. Drove home, oil pressure was OK but alignment is off, figured I'd check it Thursday night.

Got up next morning, and there's an oil slick under the car. S%#t.

Pulled off plastic tonight. Hit on the crossmember, bending it a little on the steering rack mount bolts. Worse, pushed rack into the oilpan, leaving a nice crack in the pan...

So besides the new old Mustang, I've now got a second project for the winter. :cry: :cry:
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by mossaidis » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 am

Well, I can't say that I feel any better that someone else got wrecked with last night's rain. But as they say, "misery loves company".

I just dropped off the rental truck at the Uhual. It's been a crappy day considering I'm still digesting the fact I won't be racing tomorrow.

Two Miatas passed me going west on the mass pike. One being trailed by a Toyota truck (I think) and the other was towing a tire rack and tools. I have no idea who they were, but I assume they were with COM.

Have fun this weekend.

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:44 am

mossaidis wrote:
Two Miatas passed me going west on the mass pike. One being trailed by a Toyota truck (I think) and the other was towing a tire rack and tools. I have no idea who they were, but I assume they were with COM.

Have fun this weekend.
That would have been Will and Gordon.
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:14 am

Stynger wrote: That would have been Will and Gordon.
Actually, I believe it was Diego and Francios. ;)

OK, just kidding. It was Gordon and I. I actually beeped as I drove by, but the only thing smaller than the Miata is its tiny little horn. Meep, meep.

Glad to see you made it home OK. I couldn't believe it when I pulled up and saw your car. It was pretty late, must have been a VERY long day for you!

- Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny: