street stock tires

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Re: street stock tires

Post by TroyV » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 pm

I know this is deviating a little from the original topic...... I have driven full tread RA1's and NT-01's in the rain. I found them to be no better than the Hankook RS2's I had on the car as street rubber....especially where standing water was concerned. Strangely,I found the NT's to be slightly better than the RA1's in the standing water, though not enough to declare them a winner.

Obviously......In this part of the country, we get a bit of rain. In the 2009 season, more than half of the track days I was at were raining. As a result, I would get very frustrated as I was under prepared for the conditions. The way I look at it now is that not having a proper rain tire at those events represented missed opportunities, missed seat time, not to mention a severely dimished experience over all. You spend your hard earned money to be at one of these events,so it behooves you to get as much seat time as you can, at least it does for me. This year, I used RA1's and NT-01's as the car's street rubber. This was so I could carry the R6's and the wets on the tire trailer. I only drive the car on the street to and from events, and a few days before/after to work out any mechanical issues I may be experiencing. I never noticed the RA1's or NT's dropped in performance in any way, and I drove the car to and from all the away events save one. My car is very light though.

It may sound like a frivolous purchase, but my Hoosier wets were the best purchase I made last season. The amount of track miles on my odometer is a testament to that. At least a third of my miles are on them.

For a street tire, I'd pick the tire with the lowest UTOG rating that gets the best reviews in the wet. Star Spec, RS3, RT615K, and XS are in that category.

"It's all about the fast lap" has a subset statement that is unwritten. That phrase is "It's all about tires".
Last edited by TroyV on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Second on the Hoosier wets. An truly amazing tire in water! Not to be compared to any street tire. Just don't run them on dry pavement... :shock:
My favorite street/track tire has been the Falken Azenis RT615
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Track wheels
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by Track wheels » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey you guys are a wealth of information.
Should this item get moved out ofrules?
I have lots of questions.

Track wheels
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by Track wheels » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 am

Track wheels wrote:Hey you guys are a wealth of information.
Should this item get moved out ofrules?
I have lots of questions.

Re: COM TALK

TIRES AND OTHER PRICELESS QUESTIONS